Chalk Hill Poultry

• 15 Replies

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
Chalk Hill Poultry
« on: August 29, 2009, 22:11 »
Just wondered if anyone had ever been / bought any chickens from there?

We have ordered our house, hubby has agreed to make a run so they can have a nice big one :o)

Just need to find a place to get our chickens from!!

I just keep changing my mind all the time what sort I want, there are so many, have decided might get 4, 2 barnevelders instead of 3 as originally thought and get 2 little bantams because they are just so cute!!  Saw some wyandotte bantams and they were just gorgeous and also faverolles with their cute little beard things :o)  Also did think 3yr old daughter may not be too freaked out with bantams with them being rather smaller.

And as we are now having a much bigger run I can have more :o)  Didn't mention that part to hubby, ooops!

nzdunn

Re: Chalk Hill Poultry
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 00:57 »
barnevelders are my favourite aswell, i have a young one and shes so friendly and there gorgeous to look at aswell.  NIckyx

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 22:20 »
I take it no-one has been then?

I didn't really fancy driving almost 2 hours if it was going to turn out to be awful, one local one near me was not good, very dirty, poor birds and it's kind of put me off a bit driving miles to see if they end up being in similar circumstances.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 22:32 »
If you give us some idea of where in the country you are someone might be able to point you in the direction of a good supplier. :D

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 22:42 »
If you give us some idea of where in the country you are someone might be able to point you in the direction of a good supplier. :D

I'm just on the surrey/hants border so either county is pretty much fine really.  Some other counties are ok too, bits of berkshire, kent. 

I really wanted barnevelders and not many places seem to have them, typical of me, pick something that's not very easy to get hold of!

Most places seem to be in devon which is miles away!

Oh and my dad is in leicester so we could do that way too if we went up for a weekend and bring them back if they'd be ok in car for about 3 hours???

Have looked at all the ones I can find within about an hour and half away and they either don't do the barnies or just don't look very clean.  One in cobham way had big piles of poop on top of the nesting boxes and it had obviously been there sometime.

We are going to get 2 little bantams of some sort too, my 3 year is picking them because she likes the "baby" ones.

nzdunn

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 22:43 »
i just looked at their website, it certainly looks very nice, i would do the drive and have a chat or ring them beforehand, oh i really like those sussex speckadlys (sp) i want them next there gorgeous.   Nickyx

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 22:53 »
barneys are lovely, I often see them listed in the Salisbury Rare Breed Auctions held monthly, worth a trip?

http://www.salisburyauctioncentre.co.uk/

catalogue available to download roughly a week before auction :) Faverolles are fab, banty favs in my mind very underated..but I am terribly biased! :D

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 23:04 »
barneys are lovely, I often see them listed in the Salisbury Rare Breed Auctions held monthly, worth a trip?

http://www.salisburyauctioncentre.co.uk/

catalogue available to download roughly a week before auction :) Faverolles are fab, banty favs in my mind very underated..but I am terribly biased! :D

I'd be a bit worried about auctions, wouldn't know whether they were ok or not really and prob end up with some poor bird that got sick and pegged it knowing me!!  I've got a book and everything which says what to look for but I'd still feel quite uncomfortable I think as I don't really know what I'm doing.

Aunty recommended favs too and they are exceptionally cute!  Maybe I'll point daughter at some and see what colour she likes :O)

Foxy

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 23:34 »
It sounds like you are doing plenty of research, I breed favs both large and bantam so can highly recommend them. Also, have a look at Polands, they are quite nice and bantam orpingtons and brahmas are lovely birds too. When you have decided on your chosen breed, contact the breed club and they will give you the details of your  local breeders who will be happy to give you loads of information. :)

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 23:52 »
Foxy are the eggs an eatable size or only really good for scrambled or cakes?

Hubby didn't want bantys because he wants "proper size eggs!" but my little girl has always been very taken with the bantys whenever we have been out, she always says she wants the baby ones for her garden.

So have pretty much decided to just get 2 barnies instead of 3 and then get 2 bantams is instead of the 3rd barnie.

favs and barnies would be ok together wouldn't they as they are all supposed to be quite docile aren't they?  did like wyandotte bantams too tho daughter seems to like ones with fluffy bits on so favs would prob be good choice with little beard bit.

hillfooter

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 02:56 »
I'd stick with your choices.  There are certainly many attractive birds out there but not all suitable for begineers but Barnevelders are easy to keep and very friendly and inquisitive birds though mine aren't the best layers.  They lay a medium size dark brown egg.

Regards
Truth through science.

Foxy

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2009, 09:58 »
Faverolles bantams aren't that small about  third smaller than a hybrid chicken. They lay a medium light tinted egg. Very friendly birds. :) As long as the birds you buy are a similar age they should be fine together. Barnies are lovely! :) :)

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2009, 10:19 »
That's great thank you so much for all the advice!

Barnies and favs then :o)  Unless daughter hates the favs but I doubt it and at 3 I can manipulate her ha ha!

Foxy

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 10:25 »
I have loads of favs bantam and large will take some piccies for you later! (sorry I am biased ::))

Vonnie

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 10:44 »

Hi

I went to Chalk Hill Poultry about a month ago and bought 12 hatching eggs.  I did find the place a bit scruffy but the chucks looked happy enough and there was plenty of food and water in all the coops etc.  I am quite anal when it comes to my chucks and there houses looking tidy so maybe they wern't as scruffy as I have made out.  I have never been to any other poultry dealers to compare them with!!! They are quite a large set up and have lots of differnet variety for you to choose from.  The staff were pleasant enough and were able to answer all my questions so hopefully you will have no problem with them.  I bought like I said 12 hatching eggs from them on the 11th August, we lost 2 with breakages leaving us 10 and as of yesterday we have now got 6 Baby chucks.  We are very happy with them so fingers crossed for you.  Where abouts are you in the country?
Vonnie

xx
Help cockerel going down hill fast

Started by brahma on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 31, 2009, 12:31
by nzdunn
xx
Poultry Spice, Poultry Zest, Garlic, Apple Vinegar, Verm-X, Liquid Tonic etcc

Started by OpiumEater on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 09:28
by Kenilworth
xx
The joy of poultry

Started by kizza on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 19, 2006, 11:42
by Huswyf
xx
Poultry ark

Started by Fluff on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 20:04
by Andy J

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 37 queries.