Potato Results - 2009

• 238 Replies

farmersue

Re: Potato Results - 2009
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2009, 18:26 »
Soil type slight clay, slightly sandy. New plot, not used for anything (apart from marestail and other horrid weeds) 2+ years. Dug over and manured in winter.
1st earlies - Kestrel. Good crop - no damage of any kind (apart from those i speared accidentally!). Pretty good yield - much better than last year's Arran Pilot. A bit floury when cooked, but better when i started to steam them instead of boiling them. My son roasted some, and he said they were amazing.
2nd earlies - Charlotte. Very impressed with the yield - lots of decent sized spuds. No slug damage but a bit of wire worm. Nice and tasy.
I feel quite fortunate to have avoided most problems, despite neglecting them somewhat. ::)
But what i still haven't found is a really waxy new potato - i've been disappointed with the texture of both types (and the Arran's last year). Any suggestions anyone?

Bozwell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2009, 21:33 »
Pentland squire were a bit of a disaster. I cut in to a few and they all had brown cavities in the centers. I imagine this is where the slugs got in. :mad:
Can you hear voices?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2009, 21:41 »
If you couldn't see any holes on the outside, this could be hollow heart. This is due to an excess of water after a dry period, where the spud suddenly puts on growth.

Hollow Heart
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Eugene

« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2009, 10:18 »
Pentland Jav's - Nice crop, very tasty with no slug damage an excellent choice, makes wonderful potato salad !

Maris Peer - Fantastic, I let them get a bit bigger but they are the tastiest spuds going. I have been eating them almost every day in some form or another as they gave a bumper harvest.

King Ed and Desiree - Absolute disaster. They have all got the blight. the plants have ALL died and the spuds are tiny and look pretty tough. I'm so disappointed as I really was looking forward to some lovely jacket potatoes this autumn.

I might add that virtually the whole of our allotment site has suffered with it, a walk down the track in the middle shows that most plots are effected.

Is this common ? HELP

bb_odiham

« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2009, 11:05 »
Earlier post here about my King Edwards getting blight ...

I've now removed all foilage and will have a dig on weekend to see if I've actually got any spuds at all :(

I think it's my own fault for leaving the Estima in the ground too long - until the plants started dying, my King Edwards were fine, then literally in a few days, the leaves started getting blight and that was it.

It's also probably the damp humid weather that we've had for the last month.

Not to worry though, if the King Ed's are a disaster under the ground too, we've got enough spuds from the Estima to last a few months.

Lesson learnt - growing king edwards organically isn't for me!
Jack of all trades, master of none.

beanqueen

« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2009, 17:25 »
Internatonal Kidney - not bad taste but not a lot of them

Camelot 2nd early huge amount of pots - dug up as the blight caught

Main crop King Edwards - foliage seems to be dying down rather than blighted ( I think) dug up a few plants and had loads of lovely spuds some quite big. Will keep an eye on them and dig up early if necessary

Main crop sarpa mira - some blight but have now cut off the bad  foliage and  will keep fingers crossed First time with this variety and they are the strongest looking plants on the whole site

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2009, 22:17 »
mine had blight  >:( but still harvestaed over 300lb  8) some are deseased  ??? :blush:
but i am pleased overall
always have a target
and an objective.

waddecar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2009, 22:08 »
Well matured sawdust stable bedding over heavy clay

Swift - good yield, clean potatoes, no taste. Not on next years list

Red Duke of York - good yield, clean potatoes, the grower likes the taste, the cook doesnt - not growing next year!

Maris Bard - very good yield, clean initially but some scab on later liftings. Superb taste definite for next year

Charlotte - Good yield, some scab excellent taste On next years list

International Kidney - Some blight - tops removed - tubers appear unaffected. Good yield, clean tubers excellent taste will grow again next year.

Romano - Blight - tops removed no tubers lifted yet - planning to leave in ground until Jan / Feb ( did this last year most tubers fine despite being wtaerlogged for weeks)

Cara - one plant lifted (by mistake - funny looking Charlotte I thought) Huge tubers and clean - not tasted yet

PFA, King Edward and Kerrs Pink all growing well and currently blight free

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2009, 08:59 »
In addition to my earlier post, I had three Hunter in a large trug - lovely clean potatoes and a nice yield. My wife says she enjoyed them, but I found them a bit 'chalky' in texture and rather bland in taste...

Don't think I'll have them again.

edwin

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2009, 10:03 »
Have just lifted all my 2nd Earlies & from 20 seed potatoes each of two varieties, an excellent result with no slug damage.

Kestrel     68lbs 10ozs
Nadine     83lbs  3ozs

BazTheGardener

« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2009, 18:54 »
First year on plot planted late april, soil seems very good.

1st - Rocket large pots about 5-6 per plant OK but not a lot of flavor ( off list for next year)

2nd - Organic Orla very similar to Rocket both had little damage but little flavor.

Main Pink Fir still in but looking good.

Had some tubs from last year that I tried for Christmas suds that didn't work 3 had been left by side of greenhouse for sorting latter. They regrew and have just empied one and it was full of lovely creamy yellow spuds the only problem is I cant remember what variety. Just shows I had done nothing with them and neglected them even when I noticed them growing and hey presto lots of lovely spuds. :D :lol:
First Time Veg grower

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2009, 19:13 »
In addition to my earlier post, I had three Hunter in a large trug - lovely clean potatoes and a nice yield. My wife says she enjoyed them, but I found them a bit 'chalky' in texture and rather bland in taste...

Don't think I'll have them again.

same thing being 'thunk' here  :tongue2: not overly impressed

wyandotty

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2009, 20:33 »
Being a chicken lover I grew Roosters this year.

Fantastic potato, makes lovely mash and really crispy roast potatoes.  Really good yield of large (pink skinned) white fleshed potatoes.

Lovely :tongue2:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 20:39 by wyandotty »

Storeman

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2009, 13:33 »
Hi I have just dug up my mari piper. i had 74 very large spuds from 4 plants all good no holes . still got about 50 plants to go

bluealf

• Experienced Member
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2009, 17:27 »
Soil type slight clay, slightly sandy. New plot, not used for anything (apart from marestail and other horrid weeds) 2+ years. Dug over and manured in winter.
1st earlies - Kestrel. Good crop - no damage of any kind (apart from those i speared accidentally!). Pretty good yield - much better than last year's Arran Pilot. A bit floury when cooked, but better when i started to steam them instead of boiling them. My son roasted some, and he said they were amazing.
2nd earlies - Charlotte. Very impressed with the yield - lots of decent sized spuds. No slug damage but a bit of wire worm. Nice and tasy.
I feel quite fortunate to have avoided most problems, despite neglecting them somewhat. ::)
But what i still haven't found is a really waxy new potato - i've been disappointed with the texture of both types (and the Arran's last year). Any suggestions anyone?

I thought Charlottes where a first early and meant to be a waxy potato  :wacko:

Well thats what my pack of seed tatties said  :unsure:
Carlisle

xx
Potato Results 2010

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

178 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 11:45
by cornykev
xx
supplies for 2009

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post December 16, 2008, 16:21
by garddwr
xx
My First Crop of 2009

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 25, 2009, 23:20
by poultrygeist
xx
Plans for 2009

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post November 06, 2008, 17:15
by digital_biscuit

Page created in 0.6 seconds with 39 queries.