Chilli flowers dropping off

• 9 Replies

Remy

• Experienced Member
« on: July 23, 2009, 23:34 »
Hi,
My chilli plant is growing strong with at least 5 chillies on it but the new flwoers keep on droping off after the stem became yellow.
What could cause this & ow to stopit?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 22:59 by Ice »

lisa80

Re: Chilli flowers droping off
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 07:34 »
i have same problem my leaves are also dropping off. i have fed them and just going to hope for the best.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 09:37 »
Are you overwatering ? It pays to let the pot dry out till the leaves wilt a bit before you give them another drink. Chillies don`t like having their feet wet for too long.
Have you tried pollinating the flowers with an artists paintbrush , it will increase your chillie crop a lot. :)

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 10:36 »
My chilli plant is growing strong with at least 5 chillies on it but the new flwoers keep on droping off after the stem became yellow.

Sounds like poor pollination - either do as 8doubles says give the pot a tap very time you walk past it to shake the pollen. Some flower drop is normal though so don't panic if its just the odd one.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 14:40 »
The chillies i have outside have started to do the same thing with all the wind and rain :(
My guess is that if the weather turns kinder again they will start to flower and fruit again.
The chillies that were already growing are still hanging on in there though, so looks as if i will get some at least :)

snowpip1

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 22:52 »
Ive found that a little finger does just as well as a paintbrush! :)
Also i grow my chili's at work (4th floor office block window sill S-SW facing) they seem to love it - but i keep them well saturated ??? could this be bad for them?

Yabba

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 22:58 »
Yes

it might be worth you looking at this forum ( @link chillisgalore.tld )

¥

Noodles

Re: Chilli flowers dropping off
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 11:50 »
Misting the plant with a water spray can help pollination.

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 21:48 »
I had exactly the same problem.  The flowers were not setting and dropping off.  I tried using a small paintbrush, and managed to get 3 or 4 fruits.  A friend then suggested tickling the flowers with a feather.  Since then, all flowers have pollinated.

It makes sense really, as the pollen catches between the fine ribs of the feather and as long as you use the same bit each time, it gets coated in pollen which is then transferred to the next flower.  It even works a week or so between flowers if they go through a slow period.

Mine are now covered in fruit (about 25 on each plant) and have just recently started to turn a lovely red.

cabbagehead

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2009, 16:17 »
Possible two reasons for flowers dropping off. Over watering: Peppers are very drought tolerant. Chillis' originated from the Americas where the climate is hot and dry. Don't water your peppers for 3/4 days letting them dryout. Don't worry if the leaves droop a little. Try and water in the mornings if you can, this lets the roots dryout before night fall. I live SE London and because the weather is cool and wet I'm watering my peppers (in pots) once a week if needed. Do a test: Let one plant realy dryout until leaves are very droopy. ??? Water in the morning, by the evening they will have picked up. Trust me!  :)

Another reason may be the flowers are not being pollinated. Gently shake the plants or use a soft brush. If your growing several verities together they will cross pollinate. This wont affect the fruit but will affect the seeds if you sow next year. Also, feed your peppers. A good tomatoe feed is ok.

Peppers are perennial. If you don't have a heated greenhouse  :nowink: bring some in side to over winter. An east facing window is best. Good luck.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 16:28 by cabbagehead »
If all else fails read the instructions.

xx

Started by Pony Girl on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 15, 2012, 15:30
by Pony Girl
xx
Chillies dropping flowers?

Started by skywalker on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 21, 2010, 22:12
by skywalker
xx
Courgette flowers dropping off?

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 27, 2008, 14:55
by vegmandan
xx
Blueberry dropping flowers

Started by gazza975526570 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 01:19
by Trillium

Page created in 4.779 seconds with 30 queries.