Blueberry dropping flowers

• 7 Replies

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
Blueberry dropping flowers
« on: May 23, 2012, 22:31 »
I bought three different varieties of blueberry last year and they are planted at the plot.

I never expected anything this year but they all had a decent amount of flowers on for their size however had a look tonight and almost all have dropped off.

Ive seen plently of bees etc knocking about around them

Why would this happen and what can i do to prevent next year?

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Blueberry dropping flowers
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 22:47 »
Is it just the petals that have dropped off or the whole flower?

What should happen is that the petals drop off (as with most pollinated flowers) leaving behind a small fertilised fruit which will then grow on into a berry (quite a long wait in the case of blueberries, but worth it!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 01:48 »
My blueberries have just dropped most of their flowers but as Jay says, it's because they're now pollinated and no longer need the petals. It's also a sign that I must get the netting over them all so the birds don't beat me to it again this year  >:(

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 17:55 »
no i dont think anything has been pollinated and i dont think there is any sign of any fruit coming behind.

The ends have gone brown and the whole thing appears to have come off

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 18:47 »
I have to confess I've never examined my blueberry flowers in that much detail, (mainly because they've never failed to set) but I've just been out to have a look at mine and the petals do seem to go brown before dropping off, which as far as I'm concerned is OK.

What would not be OK is if the whole flower dropped off leaving just a bare stalk - if that is really what has happened to yours despite the number of bees you have seen perhaps you need to check that the soil or compost is suitable for them, and that they haven't been going short of water.

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 18:51 »
Thank you - im pretty sure its the whole thing off but ill have another look tommorow.

Havent watered them other than when i planted them with the amount of rain over the last few months - i know you need to water with rainwater but i dont have anything to collect water at the plot so ill need to invest/make something!

Plot74

• tilly
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 23:21 »
I have just transplanted mine as it was not doing well at all .it has not had any flowers at all will have to see how it comes along.
John
John
A gardeners work is never done.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 01:19 »
They're not all that fussy, especially if they're getting dry, which they don't like so use tapwater if you can get any.

Newly transplanted bushes are unlikely to fruit this year because they're trying to restablish themselves and need all energy. You'll probably see a few berries next year, then more the year after.

xx
Tomato flowers are dropping

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 30, 2012, 13:24
by hubballi
xx
Chillies dropping flowers?

Started by skywalker on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 21, 2010, 22:12
by skywalker
xx
Tomato flowers dropping off

Started by ex-cavator on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 28, 2011, 18:51
by ex-cavator
xx
Courgette flowers dropping

Started by fletch on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post June 28, 2007, 18:25
by Little Miss Muffet

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 29 queries.