What do you all do in winter when you have to eat supermarket veg?!

• 20 Replies

Elcie

This is something I have been thinking about, especially in relation to tomatoes and cucumbers!  The ones that I have grown at home are so delicious that I'm wondering what happens in the winter when I have to get used to the watery salad stuff again!

I guess I will get used to it again and then have another flavour explosion next year!

I am thinking about trying to buy mainly fruit and veg that is in season.  Partly to save money and partly for flavour.  But, there are some things I just wouldn't want to do without - peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers etc.

Does anyone else eat only in season fruit/veg?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Hi Elcie, we try to eat seasonally so we can still buy from our local farm shop, but in the case of tomatoes.  I only buy from supermarkets occasionally in winter if Brian wants salad or fried toms.  All my excess I chop and freeze and use for all my winter soups and pasta sauces, hopefully they last til spring!!

Cucumbers I have to buy as they don't freeze well   ::) ::)

lisa80

i have frozen 2lb of dwarf beans so far (we bit sick of them now) and intend to freeze whatever i can to keep us going .I will miss home grown cucs tho.we have got some cabbage and kale for over winter and leeks and brussels will see us through til end of yr.have just sown some spring type lettuce for over winter also so hoping will not have to buy too much have got a taste for it now!!! supermarket stuff just not the same :(

paintedlady

I try to be as "self sufficient" in the gyo bit as I can - anything that can't be preserved or grown then just has to be off the menu until they come back into season again  ;)  That way I REALLY look forward and appreciate them better.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
I do have to buy salad stuff, but fortunately we don't eat as much in winter!

Veg wise, the freezer is well stocked, but there's still plently of veg in the plot - carrots, parnsips, swede(maybe), cabbage, sprouts, leeks, cerleriac etc. plus stacks of stored onions & spuds - so we don't go without.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

Veg wise, the freezer is well stocked, but there's still plently of veg in the plot - carrots, parnsips, swede(maybe), cabbage, sprouts, leeks, cerleriac etc. plus stacks of stored onions & spuds - so we don't go without.
Not bothering with the parsnips this year then DD? :lol:
ps hope you get more than 6 swede this year :)

farmersue

I try to eat seasonally as much as poss (but i do love salad so i buy from the shops for that). I freeze surplus and dry or preserve some things, but i think one of the benefits of eating seasonally is the pleasure that comes when the new season 'whatever' is ready again. For example, i love runner beans, but by the end of August i'm thoroughly fed up with them, and almost relieved when they die off. However, i then have to go without until next July, by which time i'm really looking forward to them again because i haven't had them for so long!
I don't think i've explained that very well  :blink:

DD.

• Global Moderator

Put yer glasses on - they're second in the list!

Elcie

I try to eat seasonally as much as poss (but i do love salad so i buy from the shops for that). I freeze surplus and dry or preserve some things, but i think one of the benefits of eating seasonally is the pleasure that comes when the new season 'whatever' is ready again. For example, i love runner beans, but by the end of August i'm thoroughly fed up with them, and almost relieved when they die off. However, i then have to go without until next July, by which time i'm really looking forward to them again because i haven't had them for so long!
I don't think i've explained that very well  :blink:

I think you have explained it really well farmersue and I understand what you mean.  I guess I will see if I can resist the temptation of out of season veg!  Not sure I can resist the salad stuff though, although it doesn't look like I am alone in that with the replies above.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

Put yer glasses on - they're second in the list!
i said parsnips not on list they ain't  :tongue2:..i don't need glasses...you need spellchecker :lol: :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator

Faz

• Experienced Member
Parnsips are just a special Leics breed Mumofstig. Bet they taste funny too  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
Careful - that sounds like a cue to re-post my piccie to show you what a real parsnip looks like!

zazen999

This is something I have been thinking about, especially in relation to tomatoes and cucumbers!  The ones that I have grown at home are so delicious that I'm wondering what happens in the winter when I have to get used to the watery salad stuff again!

I guess I will get used to it again and then have another flavour explosion next year!

I am thinking about trying to buy mainly fruit and veg that is in season.  Partly to save money and partly for flavour.  But, there are some things I just wouldn't want to do without - peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers etc.

Does anyone else eat only in season fruit/veg?
I grow winter lettuce and have a divine dressing that I use with it; I also grow beetroot [the stripey and yellow ones] that we mix with mayo that sort of substitutes for tomatoes....well it does what it can but it bumps up the salad side of things when we need it. And I pickle normal beetroot and have that with mayo as well. I try desperately not to buy toms or cukes through the winter. Sometimes we relent but it's never the same is it?

Peppers though, we do buy and until my sweet pointy peppers start producing and I can start to chop and freeze them, we are pretty much tied into buying them. C'mon you peppers.... :lol:

Beetroot queen

I'm wondering what happens in the winter when I have to get used to the watery salad stuff again!

I will spend the winter moaning  :blush:

xx
winter kill temperatures of winter-hardy vegetables

Started by Subversive_plot on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 28, 2022, 11:40
by cc
xx
Supermarket Veg

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post January 07, 2011, 23:22
by asd1
xx
supermarket toms!!

Started by bailey on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 02, 2009, 16:21
by DD.
xx
seeds from supermarket veg

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 22, 2012, 19:37
by DD.

Page created in 0.498 seconds with 38 queries.