Why do supermarket herbs die?

• 28 Replies

hubballi

Why do supermarket herbs die?
« on: February 06, 2013, 15:18 »
I absolutley cannot fathom why a healthy basil plant ought from a supermarket very quickly dies despite doing everything right to keep it going. I am sure they put something slow release in the compost that kills them after so long. I kept it warm and it just went mouldy and died. :(

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Why do supermarket herbs die?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 15:22 »
I absolutley cannot fathom how you can keep insisting that you do everything right, yet manage to kill off so many things!  :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 15:23 »
Indoors - it's not likely to be warm enough or sunny enough for basil to thrive. Simple really.

It's a summer annual in Mediterranean countries - give it heat and a dry atmosphere from long hours of sun and it's happy.

hubballi

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 15:26 »
Anyone with any helpful comments ?

hubballi

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 15:29 »
Ok, thanks. I did put it in the window that was getting the most sun in the day. Perhaps the drop in temp in the kitchen didn't help as it has no central heating in there.

pdblake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 15:32 »
If it went mouldy then that suggests too much moisture and heat and not enough ventilation.

I bought a rosemary plant from tesco (a few pence on the reduced shelf, already past it's best) and it's going strong after several weeks, in fact it looks like it's thriving. I might even harden it off and pop it outside.

Daamoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 15:36 »
I've grown a few basil plants indoors from seed and as soon as I move them or take them outside they start to die.  Since they are a half-hardy annual plant I guess they don't like any sudden temperature changes and need to be hardened carefully if planting outside.  Chances are the shop varieties are grown somewhere warm and sunny or even under artifical lighting so you basically have no hope of keeping them for longer than it takes to harvest what's there.  I'd suggest getting a pack of seeds and sowing some every 2weeks or month and that way you'd be in a constant supple of fresh basil.
Add me on PSN but nowadays I reach for the fork or hoe more than a controller

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 15:47 »
Probably not enough hours of daylight at this time of the year. And we have seen hardly any sun this winter. They are forced seedlings and I presume they run out of steam fairly quickly. Mint and parsley and chives (cut them at the base) thyme and rosemary I can keep going in the conservatory, though the soft herbs are slow. I only water when they really need it or they go mouldy.

I find the ones from Lidl do best. I don't buy basil as I only like it in summer, when it is easier to grow from seed (except last year!) but I split the pots of seedlings, once I have used the tops, and grow them on in pots till they can go out into the garden. Parsley, mint and chives do very well. Thyme and rosemary go out as they are.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 17:32 »
I sowed some basil about two months ago and they have just about limped to the stage when I might dare to pinch out the growing tips as a "harvest" and hope they bush out rather than using that as an excuse to peg out!

They are indoors on the windowsill of my double-glazed kitchen window, which faces south (in other words, the best I can do at this time of year, but they clearly need more light and warmth than they're getting at the moment.)

I've had some success with potting on and eventually transplanting supermarket parsley, although sometimes the hard life they've had makes them run to seed rather more quickly than I would like.

Nearly everything else I have herb-wise are hardy perennials, most of which can be harvested all year round from the garden (thank goodness!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 19:26 »
This time in the year I only grow basil as microleaves as there is not enough daylight for decent strong plants

and the supermarket grown ones are very 'soft' from their hothouse environment and so struggle to survive even indoors right now
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

allotmentann

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 19:46 »
Basil seems to grow really well on my window sill all year round. My kitchen is cold, but very bright. I have found that it does best if I keep the pot in a dish that always has water in it, but never water it from the top. The plants keep healthy like that until I use the whole plant to make pesto! :)

tallulah

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 20:17 »
Basil seems to grow really well on my window sill all year round. My kitchen is cold, but very bright. I have found that it does best if I keep the pot in a dish that always has water in it, but never water it from the top. The plants keep healthy like that until I use the whole plant to make pesto! :)

Watering from the bottom might make a difference - good tip.  :)

plum crumble

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 20:30 »
supermarket plants are grown really fast to produce high volume of leaves for quick use. In comparison, the root structure isn't there to support it as an ongoing viable entity.....so it dies
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

agapanthus

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 23:46 »
I've found that they plant too many seeds in the pot so consequently there isn't enough compost to sustain them.
In the warmer months I tend to buy these plants and then split them into single pots and then transplant when large enough into final growing positions.....they do really well that way :)

Grubbypaws

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 07:51 »
The last time that i bought basil from a supermarket it died because of the vine weevil that came with it  :ohmy: That is why it was the last time!

xx
Supermarket Herbs

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 17:09
by angelavdavis
xx
Supermarket herbs.

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 08, 2016, 10:03
by DanielCoffey
xx
Supermarket herbs

Started by Hesse2509 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 09:37
by JayG
xx
Supermarket Herbs

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 05, 2018, 21:05
by Gardener and Rabbit

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 30 queries.