Why do supermarket herbs die?

• 28 Replies

savbo

Re: Why do supermarket herbs die?
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 10:40 »
I absolutley cannot fathom how you can keep insisting that you do everything right, yet manage to kill off so many things!  :lol:

Which part of Cheshire are you Hubb? Anywhere near the chemical factories? :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 10:41 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Agatha

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 12:31 »
Supermarket herbs are not designed to last so you are already starting off with weak plants, but I've had some success by potting them on into good compost as soon as I buy them (and splitting them if there are too many plants in the pot).  I also cut back the top growth (which can then be eaten!) so the roots don't have so much top growth to support and they usually regrow much healthier.

With hardier perennial herbs such as thyme, rosemary etc, you are probably better off waiting for the garden centres to reduce prices at the end of the season.  I've bought rosemary, sage and thyme in different varieties for between 50p and £1. 
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

Willow_Warren

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 12:41 »
My supermarket herbs don't take long to die! But I thought that was par for the cause!

Basil certainly wouldn't last long in my kitchen even on the windowsill, it's far too cold!  I successfully grew some from seed in the conservatory last year, didn't grow big but will sucessional planting kept my pizzas going!

My sister was boasting how she was making pesto with all the basil she had growing as they had so much - she lives in Perth... (the one on the other side of the world)... er... even their winters are warm there by our standards!

Hannah :)

brianbishop

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 14:39 »
Summertime(if we ever get one!!) try splitting a pot of s/mkt basil and plant in amongst tom. plants in greenhouse.I have found this works well
Bish

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 16:12 »
when you get your "supermarket herbs" home - re-pot them into more pots to have a succession of picking herbs - done deal!
Now what shall I do today?

Lawrence

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 17:41 »
The biggest problem with Supermarket Herbs is that they are really meant to be used as Herbs and not as plants.
They are grown in such a way to be nice and big on the shelf but are not expected to last long, just long enough to be cooked with.

spottymint

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2013, 20:50 »
My last supermarket basil had a tough time, O/H put it in a unheated conservatory in the snow,

24 hours later when I inquired where it had gone, he said "if I was quick I may be able to save it"  :ohmy:

O/H has not got green fingers.

Ema

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2013, 23:55 »
These plant are forced to grow under intense light and in heated spaces, the herbs don't taste as strong as they would if you were growing them yourself from seed. Your buying seedlings sown into a pot too small for all of them to survive in with cheap compost that doesnt have enough nutrience

toasted

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 11:33 »
i think its because they are grown in polytunnels or under lights with a long day length , then they are packed up into trays and transported in the dark or very low light before they are put on the shelves
so by the time you get them home they think its time to go to seed because they have just had two days of darkness.

snowdrops

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 16:33 »
So that you buy more & they get more of your money. they aren't raised as plants to keep growing just as an improvement on buying herbs that are already cut & beginning to perish.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2013, 03:23 »
In early May 2012 Mrs Wally purchased 2 pots of basil from our local Co-Op as she was going to create a pesto sauce.
Mrs Wally is not noted for keeping any plant alive for longer than a couple of days.
Before the pesto was created we departed these shores for a foreign holiday.
During our absence the plants were nursed by a neighbour.
After our return the plants once again returned to the care of Mrs Wally.
The pesto never got made . . . . . . even to now . . . . . Feb 2013, some 9 months later.
The leaves have been picked and frozen, on two occasions.
The 2 original plants are still in their tiny black pots.
There is still prolific growth on both plants.

The two pots sit on a small plate which is on a west facing windowsill.
They are only ever watered in the plate (never into the pots).

No, I can't understand it either; but Mrs Wally thinks that she's a superstar.  :nowink:
The successes and failures of each year keep me motivated for the following year.

allotmentann

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2013, 10:12 »
WirralWally, you confirm that my method with basil does work (I have been doing just that for years, since long before I grew anything). I even went away for a week and came back to find a very droopy, sad looking plant. I just topped the dish it stood in, up with water and by the next day it was great again.
Hannah they don't mind a cold kitchen. Mine is very cold. My central heating thermostat is set to 9 degrees and then it is only switched on for an hour or two a day.I think of it as a very, large coldframe! Except they do get a blast of warmer air when I cook! I think if they will survive that, they will survive anything!
I am convinced that the most damage to basil is caused by watering from above, they are very prone to fungal diseases and I think a lot of people don't give them enough water, perhaps thinking of them growing in a warm climate, but I have found that they need quite a lot. They will certainly thrive for a long time in their original pots this way. :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2013, 10:30 »
You  have been extremely lucky as is is definitely not the norm for Basil to survive, let alone thrive, in cold temperatures. :(

xx
Supermarket Herbs

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2013, 17:09
by angelavdavis
xx
Supermarket herbs.

Started by Gleavo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 08, 2016, 10:03
by DanielCoffey
xx
Supermarket Herbs

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 05, 2018, 21:05
by Gardener and Rabbit
xx
Supermarket herbs

Started by Hesse2509 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 13, 2012, 09:37
by JayG

Page created in 0.998 seconds with 32 queries.