Strawberries all gone but loads of runners

• 7 Replies

janiejakemum

• Experienced Member
Strawberries all gone but loads of runners
« on: June 30, 2009, 21:40 »
Hi all

Just a quick question about my strawberry plants. 

I have one of those tower containers which i planted up with bare root runners this year.  Ive had a few strawberries probably not quite 20 berries from 25 plants but there is only one left - no flowers and just one berry left!!.  I have just been out and separated off 6 runners and potted another 6 up ( still attached) so that i can fill the top of the container for next year.  The variety of strawberry is Albion which is supposidly an ever ready.

Im guessing the plants are putting the efforts into the runners therefore not fruiting -is there anything i can do?  I guess ideally i need a couple more runners to cover any losses then after that i dont need any more unless i just give them away.

Whilst im on the subject can anyone comment on how to replace the plants so i get the best crop from them, do the plants only do 3 seasons?, if so i was thinking of replacing a row each year which would give me a 3 year cycle but that would mean removing 1 year old plants this year.  Maybe a different way of doing it would be to replace the lot in the third year - but what happens if i dont get many runners that year??, Do the plants reliably produce runners every year?

I said a quick question, but ended up with this, please feel free to comment on anything.

x

Mitsy

• Experienced Member
Re: Strawberries all gone but loads of runners
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 21:47 »
I'm taking runners off my strawberries and still getting fruit. They are 4 year old at least now. Mine are alpine if I remember rightly  :unsure:

Its been my best crop yet but must admit I've probably payed more attention to them this year  :blush:
You have not lost the battle unless you quit :)

Michelle x

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 22:18 »
It is normal to only get a few strawbs off 1st year plants and next year should be better. If you peg the runners into a pot of soil while joined to the original you do get stronger plants.
 You can leave the runners in the pots until you need to restock the main bed but i would not worry too much as strawberries are robust plants that  throw plenty of runners.
Alpines even more so , they grow like weeds and are a job to get rid of but provided some tiny berries into december last year. :)

CharFlor

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 22:39 »
Hi

I have loads of runners as well, just wondering should I be re-potting them now for next year.  My strawberry bed is full but it was the first year and my crop was terrible.  Also I covered mine with straw to protect from frost and to help keep the weeds down, does anyone else do this? or are they just in open beds? 

Thanks

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 08:17 »
Mine are in open beds , i could be wrong but i  seem to remember that strawbs are one of the plants that like a good frost around the roots to trigger  growth. They certainly got plenty of frost snow and ice this year and no problems. You should get good crops in the second year , too many strawbs is a nice problem to have. :)

Ps Mine are planted through gravel covered weed control fabric on a path border.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 08:22 by 8doubles »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 08:41 »
Mine are in open beds and have done exceedingly well this year. (Strawberry jam anyone).

They are indeed frost hardy plants on only need protection if frost in anticipated when they are in flower or fruit.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

coolpran

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 11:45 »
will strawberries survive outside in the winter? i live in greater london, so the snow should be minimum if any.

noshed

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 12:03 »
They will be fine in the winter.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
runners on strawberries

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 00:44
by SUTTY1
xx
No runners on strawberries?

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 00:00
by Dan78
xx
No Runners on my Strawberries

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 14, 2011, 16:00
by crh75
xx
Propagating Strawberries from Runners

Started by maverick on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 19, 2010, 12:15
by sarah1983jane

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 28 queries.