No runners on strawberries?

• 9 Replies

sarah-king

• Experienced Member
No runners on strawberries?
« on: July 21, 2010, 11:18 »
My strawberries have finished fruiting but haven't produced any runners yet, is this normal? The plants look healthy enough

gimli

Re: No runners on strawberries?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 12:41 »
i have same problem
gimli

goodegg

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 13:33 »
it could be the weather that we have had keep an eye on them you may get runners when it cools a bit

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 13:42 »
I have them on some plants - not yet all, but as I have several varieties of early, mid & late i'm not surprised. They will all catch up! Last year i was still potting runners in august
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 14:49 »
I hace a couple with runners now ( not many). When and how is the right point to start potting them up?

mark0912

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 17:19 »
i bought some plants cheaply last year and they did not produce any runners

so far same this year and they also dont give me a great deal of fruit either... :(

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 18:08 »
I hace a couple with runners now ( not many). When and how is the right point to start potting them up?

It is recommended not to let the plant grow runners in its first year, so that it concentrates on building up its own strength rather than that of the runners.

In subsequent years, runners can either be pinned down into pots at the outset so that they set their roots into the pot, or else allowed to set roots properly into the soil and then potted up at that point (removing enough soil so as not to disrupt the roots).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 18:19 »
My single Albion strawberry plant (actually I think it might be a siamese twin!) planted last autumn has already produced about a dozen delicious strawberries, and a week ago started putting out runners (about 6 so far) and is now flowering again!

With only 1 plant to play with (and wanting more) I can't afford to be too kind to it and it is obviously very strong and obliging; my question is really about potting up the runners.

Pegging down into a 3" pot seems like a good idea but at the moment the runners won't stop, well, running! I presume there is an ideal time to do this but not if you have to keep moving all the pots every day to keep up with them!  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mobilekat

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 18:32 »
Pegging down into a 3" pot seems like a good idea but at the moment the runners won't stop, well, running! I presume there is an ideal time to do this but not if you have to keep moving all the pots every day to keep up with them! 

Put the pot on wheels? :tongue2: :tongue2:
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 00:00 »
First year for mine and it was ALL runners and about 5 strawberries from 10 plants..  Seriously have hundreds of runners if anyone near Woodley (Reading) wants to come and take any away let me know!

xx
runners on strawberries

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 00:44
by SUTTY1
xx
No Runners on my Strawberries

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 14, 2011, 16:00
by crh75
xx
Strawberries all gone but loads of runners

Started by janiejakemum on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 12:03
by noshed
xx
Propagating Strawberries from Runners

Started by maverick on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 19, 2010, 12:15
by sarah1983jane

Page created in 0.458 seconds with 38 queries.