runners on strawberries

• 8 Replies

starry

runners on strawberries
« on: June 05, 2010, 18:40 »
this is their first year and there are quite a few strawberries and each plant (more or less) has a runner coming off it, I do eventually want to cultivate more plants so is it ok to let them take or cut them off so I get more fruit for the first year ??
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

DavidT

Re: runners on strawberries
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 19:47 »
If you want new plants, leave the runners attached to the parent plant, fill 3 inch pots with compost and position a pot under each plantlet. Then use wire pegs to keep the base of the young plant ( where the roots will emerge from ) in contact with the compost. DO NOT sever this plant from it`s mother until it`s well rooted.  :D

Ivor Backache

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 20:06 »
My understanding is that in the first year, you do not have runners nor fruit. The reason being that you build up a good root system, and get a much better crop in the second year.  I sugest that you take the runners in the third year because after that you be looking to replace the plant.

Elcie

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 20:12 »
Oh dear Ivor, I have messed up then!  I got some strawberries last year from an offer mentioned in Frugal Living.  They didn't do much in baskets, got one strawberry, but did get lots of runners so I transplanted the strawberries into a bed at the allotment (see Meet Mavis thread - the bed is underneath her!) and let the runner root.  The way that I did this was by pinning the runner down using a hair grip.  After a while I cut the runner once the new plant had rooted.  This year I have lots of lovely fruit and there is no way I am waiting and leaving it until next year!  I am counting last year as the first year definitely!

In my experience taking runners in the first year has worked really well, but I didn't get any fruit last year.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 20:24 »
those that I bought last year didn't produce any fruit, but they made lots of rooted runners before I realised, so I have twice as many plants to crop this year   :lol:

DavidT

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 20:28 »
I planted 24 strawberry plants for a client in April. Not only are they fruiting superbly, but they are also throwing some healthy looking runners. So will be potting them up THIS season. :D

Cazzy

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 21:53 »
Last year I was told to bring some 3' pots of compost to a neighbours plot and we pinned 5 of his runners into 5 of my pots.

When another plot neighbour seen that I only had 5 strawberry plants, she came aknocking with a fist full of runners, all severed from the parent plant and I gasped.  She told me to just bury the long stem and shove the small plant into the soil.

I done this and now have loads of plants this year......... growing 'rules' seem to be easily broken  ???
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

Ivor Backache

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 22:18 »
Last year I was told to bring some 3' pots of compost

Surely you are showing off. Us ordinary strawberry growers use much smaller pots. :D

I am currently growing 24 plants from seed and they will not flower nor runner. Last years plants are flowering and older plants are also flowering and so far I have not taken any runners. The older plants are substantial and this year I should have an excellent crop which will improve the next year (hopefully) The life span of a strawberry plant is about four years so in their final year those plants will provide runners for their own replacement.

You cannot expect a plant to provide an abundance of fruit (which is what we all want) and new plants as well.

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 00:44 »
With you on that IVOR. let them fruit till you need new plants every 3/4 years, i'm sure they fruit better with no runners on them!!!

xx
No Runners on my Strawberries

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 14, 2011, 16:00
by crh75
xx
No runners on strawberries?

Started by sarah-king on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 00:00
by Dan78
xx
Propagating Strawberries from Runners

Started by maverick on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 19, 2010, 12:15
by sarah1983jane
xx
Strawberries all gone but loads of runners

Started by janiejakemum on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 12:03
by noshed

Page created in 0.525 seconds with 38 queries.