A bit of planning advice needed please

• 1 Replies

CluelessCarrot

A bit of planning advice needed please
« on: July 08, 2009, 09:15 »
Morning all  :D

I'm after a bit of advice.

I have grown some asparagus (Mary Washington variety) from seed. I started them off on the 26th of May, and plan on planting them in their final position next Spring.

After some careful thought, I have decided to prepare a bed for them in a mostly sunny position, next to my Strawberry bed (the blue beaker marks the end of it). At the moment, there are Capsicums planted in part of the asparagus bed, and they are producing loads of lovely Peppers, so I don't want to move them yet.

So..... if you wouldn't mind looking at the following picture

Hopefully you can see the area I mean. It is on the right hand side of the Strawberry bed, which is in front of the Sunflowers. I will be removing the Day Lilly bulbs in the Autumn, when the plant dies down (seems a shame to do it before).

So I will have an area of around 10ft x 8ft for the asparagus bed. I am hoping that the asparagus bed will be aligned with the courgette bed on the left of the picture.

Can I lay some weed suppression membrane down on the grass to kill it? The problem is, I am severely asthmatic, so digging it all out is completely beyond me  :( I was hoping that the area could be cleared by the Autumn, and then a good layer of well-rotted horse manure and compost over the top, so the winter frosts and worms could sort the bed out over the winter.

How many asparagus plants would be suitable in that area? And would my plan work?

Thanks for reading  :D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 09:18 by CluelessCarrot »
Online! On digital! And on the edge of a tantrum!

gillie

Re: A bit of planning advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 12:29 »
As we have been saying elsewhere asparagus takes up a lot of space.  Ideally you should plant the roots 18 inches apart and around 3 feet between the rows.

In a space 10' by 8' I think you could get two rows, with seven plants in one row and six in a staggered second row.  The most important thing about growing asparagus is good drainage so consider incorporating some sand if your soil is heavy.

Cheers,

Gillie

xx
Planning for over winter & early spring crops help needed pls

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 08:53
by Stratts
xx
Allotment planning advice

Started by mum2many on Grow Your Own

30 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 10:43
by ytyynycefn
xx
Advice needed

Started by Laura020101 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 21:24
by DD.
xx
advice needed

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 21, 2012, 21:31
by prikay

Page created in 0.518 seconds with 36 queries.