Planning for over winter & early spring crops help needed pls

• 17 Replies

Stratts

• Experienced Member
I know it may be early but I am trying to think ahead on the plot this year so I have as much growing over winter and into early spring next year.  Last year I missed out as I got the plot about June and was a complete novice.

What sort of thing should I be looking at growing that will give me some return and when do you put them in??

I'll pretty much be filling up my plot with summer/autumn stuff soon and can't get my head around when to sow/plant out stuff for winter!

Cheers

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
You are not too early with some crops - you may be a little late with some!

You want to be looking at:

-Leeks - asap (almost a bit late!)
-Purple Sprouting broccolli (autumn and winter varieties but stagger plantings - do one autumn, leave for a bit then repeat and same for winter so you continue picking).
-Kale - now
-Chard - now
-Cabbages - now but again stagger plantings so you get various maturing instead of having 12 cabbages all ready at the same time.
-Brussel sprouts - as for cabbages
-Parsnips - as for cabbages, although will store.
-Swede - from now onwards
-Winter squashes - from now and will store.
-Main crop to store

I am sure some of the experts will come along and advise further....
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
A sowing of carrots (Autumn King 2) around September is useful, as is spinach sown then

Autumn onion sets, shallots and garlic overwinter too
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Stratts

• Experienced Member
Thanks for that mate we don't like chard but i've actually got the rest in or ready to go in, more luck than judgement me thinks, lol!!

Just gotta remember to stagger some sowings, what sort of time do you leave between them?

Cheers

You are not too early with some crops - you may be a little late with some!

You want to be looking at:

-Leeks - asap (almost a bit late!)
-Purple Sprouting broccolli (autumn and winter varieties but stagger plantings - do one autumn, leave for a bit then repeat and same for winter so you continue picking).
-Kale - now
-Chard - now
-Cabbages - now but again stagger plantings so you get various maturing instead of having 12 cabbages all ready at the same time.
-Brussel sprouts - as for cabbages
-Parsnips - as for cabbages, although will store.
-Swede - from now onwards
-Winter squashes - from now and will store.
-Main crop to store

I am sure some of the experts will come along and advise further....

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
My comments re above - yes, mostly sound but I would add:

Over wintering cabbages, sprouts etc. - little point doing staggered sowings, as plants will catch up and then just sit there through winter doing little. Different varieties will give you different maturity times.

Parsnips, likewise, little point in staggered sowing. They will mature by early winter and then just sit there waiting for you to dig them up. I've never stored root crops, they've always been happy sitting in the ground.

Swede - too early. I sow in June.

Squashes, I'm thinking about it, that's all.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 22:14 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Stratts

• Experienced Member
Thanks I have some Autumn King 2 and spinach but never grown garlic.

When would autumn onions and shallots be ready to pick?

A sowing of carrots (Autumn King 2) around September is useful, as is spinach sown then

Autumn onion sets, shallots and garlic overwinter too

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Autumn onions ans shallots are ready around June time.... just in time for me to put in the leeks  :tongue2:

Stratts

• Experienced Member
My comments re above - yes, mostly sound but I would add:

Over wintering cabbages, sprouts etc. - little point doing staggered sowings, as plants will catch up and then just sit there through winter doing little. Different varieties will give you different maturity times.

Parsnips, likewise, little point in staggered sowing. They will mature by late winter and then just sit there waiting for you to dig them up. I've never stored root crops, they've always been happy sitting in the ground.

Swede - too early. I sow in June.

Squashes, I'm thinking about it, that's all.

Seems I've been lucky again as we love parsnips I've got 3 rows in and just sowed swede (after reading the packet!!)

Just sown squash tnite on the windowsill as it happens too but seems it may be early.

I have primo and Jan king cabbages started in modules as we don't eat many so hopefully they'll be ok?

Stratts

• Experienced Member
I know what's gonna throw me though is how over winter stuff slots into the crop rotation I'm trying (which is the 5 year one off here!)

DD.

• Global Moderator
I'll keep fingers crossed, but I've not started any of my winter veg yet.  Having done a few seasons, I find that if you sow/plant too early things bolt.

Packets - I'd line up against the wall those who give planting dates. I tend to look at the later one, rather than the earliest.

DD.

• Global Moderator
Re: Planning for over winter & early spring crops help needed pls
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 22:28 »
I know what's gonna throw me though is how over winter stuff slots into the crop rotation I'm trying (which is the 5 year one off here!)

Stratts - I've seen most of your postings, (and very one else's), don't be too by the book and rigid. Relax a bit and don't worry.

One of the most important things about rotation is not persistently following like with like.

The world will not end, even if for one year you grow in the same place. Just don't keep doing it.

Stratts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 22:28 »
Thanks again being a noob i am a little too keen and look at the earliest dates  :blush:

Not any more though  :D

My conservatory has some big old gardeners delight tom plants in already!!!  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 22:31 »
I've not started any of my winter veg yet  :ohmy: I like to get the summer stuff started first  ::)

Stratts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 22:31 »

Stratts - I've seen most of your postings, (and very one else's), don't be too by the book and rigid. Relax a bit and don't worry.

One of the most important things about rotation is not persistently following like with like.

The world will not end, even if for one year you grow in the same place. Just don't keep doing it.

Thanks again I can be a pit of a pain!!  And a little too thorough sometimes (The Mrs calls it obsesive, lol!!)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 22:51 »
Stratts - Don't worry about it.

You're doing the right thing and asking rather than guessing.

xx
Planning winter crops?

Started by Sheena on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 28, 2007, 11:10
by DD.
xx
Growing for winter crops and struggling with planning my plot

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 08:47
by sunshineband
xx
Quick Green Manure for late Winter/Early Spring sowing?

Started by Urbanite on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 10, 2016, 08:37
by New shoot
xx
planting spring crops

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 15:44
by missmoneypenny

Page created in 0.516 seconds with 30 queries.