Growing for winter crops and struggling with planning my plot

• 17 Replies

Stratts

• Experienced Member
Hi guys please help!

I've never really grown anything before and I'm struggling to get my head around planning my lotty so I can grow and harvest stuff all year round.  I have this big idea that my lotty should be able to provide for me, the wife and our 3 year old twins eventually to save a load of dosh buying the supermarket rubbish!!

We started late on the plot as we only got it recently and it took me a week to get a section ready for planting.

I have about a 3rd with stuff on and am going to get the rest ready for next year when the time comes, but I also want to grow stuff to harvest during the winter.

I'd planned on doing a 4 year crop rotation but I don't know how to include winter veg in the plan.

Should I just set a small area aside for winter stuff and prep the rest ready for the main growing season?

If so what can I expect to harvest through winter that I can get in the ground now or in the coming weeks,

Cheers

Stratts
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:15 by Stratts »

kezlou

Hi,
This is also my first attempt at winter produce,

So far i've sowed swiss chard, leeks, cauliflower and vectra cabbage.

I've planted out leeks last week so hopefully they should fatten up for the winter.

But i'm also planning on putting out spinach beet, garlic, spring onions,  and other hardy lettuces. hopefully all should grow and sustain us through the winter.

hope this helps in any way
Who needs a guard-dog when you can have cats for guards!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
have you had a look at this section:-

http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden_month.php
Staffies are softer than you think.

Stratts

• Experienced Member
Thanks guys dunno how I missed that article I've been browsing the site since joining!!

Do you set aside an area for the winter stuff, prep the other areas then move the winter plot the next year to prevent disease?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
the winter veg stay within their rotation group in my plans.
The Brassica bed has the winter cabbage, swede and brussels in it.
The roots bed has the parsnips and late carrots in it.

I will transplant spring cabbage into the onion bed when I've harvested them, cos that will be the brassica bed next year in my rotation plans.
Winter onion sets can go in after the potatoes cos that will be next years onion bed....leeks are being dibbed in as the new potatoes came out.

It seems weird at first but you gradually find a plan that works for you ;)

Stratts

• Experienced Member
Ah I see now so when say your winter cabbage, swede etc are done with you then fire the next years brassicas in the same plot.

And so on for the other groups?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
This years brassica bed has winter cabbage/swede/brussels in it and will become the potato bed next year :)

The brassicas for next year will move into what was my onion/roots bed, which will already have a few spring greens in it :)

The onions will move into this years potato bed which may already have had some overwintering onions in it.

(I also have few smaller beds for things like sweetcorn/pumpkins and short peas....and another long one for climbing peas/beans which tend not to move about because of the frame!)

Is that any easier  :unsure:

Of course, I'm not suggesting that this is the only way to do it, others will have completely different rotations :)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 11:04 by mumofstig »

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
Hi Stratts
All as mumofstig said and others like squash, sweetcorn can be fitted in to any area within your plan that you don't use.
ie I pit sweetcorn in the pea/bean section. Squash in the onion section.
Because I don't grow as much of these as spuds & cabbage.
Your plan doesn't have to be rigid, as long as you move things round.
Also remember a lot of "winter crops" are for early spring the following year and not actually to be eaten during the winter.
As well as these already listed you can also still plant, carrots, french beans,radish

Stratts

• Experienced Member
Thanks guys my brain is hurting!  I really should be concentrating on work but it'll have to wait a while!!  This is more important!!  :D

I think I've goofed up my plot already in the way I've sown things coz it's all mixed up.  Too keen to get things growing I think.

Time to step back, grab a cider and draw a little plan I think,

Cheers

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Time to step back, grab a cider and draw a little plan I think,

Cheers

That sounds like a good idea...pour me one ;)
make sure you've got something for all the rubbing out you'll do  :lol:

some clever people use excel spreadsheets, if you're good with that kind of thing :)

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
Stratts
First year doesn't count, everyone mess up, without mistakes no one learns.
Good Luck and enjoy

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
i tried to stick to a plan and just threw it out the window. all i do now is just imagine where the plants will go and job done. As for winter there are a variety of winter things you can grow, like japanese winter onions, winter cabbage and cauliflower, white mooli (radish). See if you can find a online calender that can tell you when to grow things in the year or over winter. depending on variety some are slow growers and won't be ready until Feb

http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/cabbages/growing-cabbage.php
http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/cauliflower_1page1.asp

Best thing to do is read plenty and experiment, don't have high hopes otherwise it can lead to disappointment but learn as you go along and most importantly enjoy it. i'm still experimenting on those onion sets  :( but cauliflower doing well  :happy: after 2nd try.

all the best!
PG

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
See if you can find a online calender that can tell you when to grow things in the year or over winter.

like this one?
http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/sowing-harvest-vegetable-chart.php

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
You mean there's things on this site outside the forum?  :ohmy:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
 :tongue2:  ;)

xx
Planning winter crops?

Started by Sheena on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 28, 2007, 11:10
by DD.
xx
Planning for over winter & early spring crops help needed pls

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 08:53
by Stratts
xx
Re: Over winter crops 2

Started by Munchkin on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 04, 2010, 20:24
by Munchkin
xx
Winter crops

Started by wendycas on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 18:35
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.505 seconds with 30 queries.