Planning for over winter & early spring crops help needed pls

• 17 Replies

Salmo

Re: Planning for over winter & early spring crops help needed pls
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 00:00 »
My winter brassica plants go in after broad beans and early peas in July and will be followed next Summer by courgettes/squashes/sweetcorn. Three crops in two years.

I only grow purple sprouters, spring caulis and late winter cabbage such as January King. Rudolph sprouters have done well this year. They have just finished and the late purple sprouters are just starting. Still waiting for Spring caulis but any time now. Just what you need when there is little else.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 07:40 »
I know what's gonna throw me though is how over winter stuff slots into the crop rotation I'm trying (which is the 5 year one off here!)

Stratts - I've seen most of your postings, (and very one else's), don't be too by the book and rigid. Relax a bit and don't worry.

One of the most important things about rotation is not persistently following like with like.

The world will not end, even if for one year you grow in the same place. Just don't keep doing it.

Thanks again I can be a pit of a pain!!  And a little too thorough sometimes (The Mrs calls it obsesive, lol!!)

Stratts, it might help you to think of it like this:

If the crop is going in the ground up until the end of summer, it is part of the same year's rotation and so can go in the same place ie following autumn onions with leeks is fine, winter cabbages can follow early caulis ect

If it is going in really late, ie transplanting spring cabbage in the autumn, it goes in next year's rotation, whihc for me would mean after the last lot of peas or mangetout.

This might sould sad but I draw out on paper exactly where everyhting is going, what will follow it and when, year by year, and have next year's ready alongside it by mid summer, for just this reason.

But as DD so rightly hinted, if something is not exactly according to the plan, well, hey, there won't be an earthquake

I hope that is useful
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Stratts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 08:53 »
Thanks mate not sad at all I've been doing that since I started last year.  It's the only way I stop my head from imploding trying to think where everything is going.

I also have a whiteboard I (ahem!) borrowed from work which has everything written on as soon as it's planted in the shed on the plot  :blush:

As yet I have no idea how much I need to grow so it'll also aid me next year if I have too much or too little of certain things,

Cheers

xx
Planning winter crops?

Started by Sheena on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 28, 2007, 11:10
by DD.
xx
Growing for winter crops and struggling with planning my plot

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 08:47
by sunshineband
xx
Quick Green Manure for late Winter/Early Spring sowing?

Started by Urbanite on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 10, 2016, 08:37
by New shoot
xx
planting spring crops

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 15:44
by missmoneypenny

Page created in 0.76 seconds with 28 queries.