Broccoli question (with pics)

• 10 Replies

matt1234

Broccoli question (with pics)
« on: May 23, 2009, 14:30 »
Hi, this is my first time growing anything (I'm a 21 yr old!) and I have basically got stuck right in and grown everything that I can possibly think of. I have read and read so hopefully I'll have some success this year.

Now to my question, I have put my broccoli outside today, but I realised when transplanting them that I couldn't possibly plant them singly (prick them) because the root system is so packed together that they would probably die if I tried to seperate them. So I've just planted them in bunches as can be seen from the pics below. Is this OK, or will they not take off at all?

Also I was wondering about my spacing. I know that brassicas take an awful lot of space but is what I've given them sufficient or do they need more once they do take off?

Thanks for any help!

Oh, and I thought I would add in a picture of my first ever harvest! (lettuce)

SalJ1980

Re: Broccoli question (with pics)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 15:18 »
Hi Matt, I can't help with your broccoli query I'm afraid as I don't have enough space to grow it myself, but congrats on your first harvest!  :D
Sal

Organic...so far!

SG6

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 15:30 »
You will have to thin them to single plants.
If they stay in a bunch then they will compete against each other and overall they will not do as well.  :wub: :wub:

My opinion is you will have to dig them up, pull them apart, as gently as reasonable then replant them individually.  :( :( :(

They will need to be about a foot apart when planted separately. The ground thy are in needs to be firm. So make sure the ground is firm (walk on it), plant them then water in. Then wait and see. :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 16:53 »
If they are purple sprouters, I'd say a foot apart is too close. These things can grow 3' high and I plant mine 3 feet apart.

But definately the last thing you want is a clump of them.

Dig them up, gently swill off the compost/soil in a water. The roots will untagle more easily.

Pot them up singly into 3" pots, then plant them out again when they are about 6" high.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gillie

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 17:54 »
You sowed far too many seeds! two or three in each pot/module thinned to one is plenty.

If they are the summer calabrese type broccoli they hate root disturbance so what I would do is get a pair of scissors and snip off all but a couple in each clump.  Then as they grow choose the best and snip off the also rans, so that you are down to one strong plant at each station.  You might need to take out each alternate bunch to give the others more room.

Now you must hate me.

Gillie

Christine

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 20:50 »
Ah but it's an easy mistake with broccoli to do this first time! Been there, done that last year as a first timer so this year went down the route of putting some in seed trays, potting on into little pots and planting out when they were outgrowing them.  :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 20:58 »
Growing stuff is a never ending learning curve so don't worry and do it different next time.  When I first started growing my own veg I gave myself a five year plan to get everything right.  Hmmmmm, still havn't and still learning.   ::)
Cheese makes everything better.

sloworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 09:32 »
it is my first time growing and I have planted way too many seeds but have very willing friends to take them off my hands and give them good homes  :) As you all say it is a learning curve but a very enjoyable one and the knowledge available here is amazing so thanx all...

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 10:13 »
Don't worry Matt, DD has made a suggestion here to help you put it right and no harm done  :)

You will need to keep the transplated seedlings well watered in it is hot or windy or they might collapse, and you could cover them with fleece for a day or two to protect them as well, if you like.

Yours are already ahead of mine,  :lol:'cos the seeds only went in on Friday last week  :wub:
Salad leaves look good yumyum  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 10:26 »
I'm in the "cut off the spares" camp too. I think digging them up, separating them, potting them on, and then replanting is going to stress the plants quite a lot.

Mind you, you could do that with one clump ... if the plants you grow in pots, from that, do better than the ones in the soil you can always "murder" them later, and go with the lifted & separated :) ones instead.

Initially leave 2 or 3 in each clump, then in a week or two thin to no more than two, and a week or so later decide on the strongest one.  I have often seen the advice to "Remove the weakest one" but in practice 99% of the time they are identical, so it will be the one with the straightest stem, or that is "more in the middle" or somesuch that makes the choice for you.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 10:30 »
Oh, and if the seedling you remove are still crispy leaved, you can eat them  :D

xx
Broccoli Question...

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 28, 2006, 19:37
by James
xx
Broccoli question

Started by littlelisa on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 22, 2009, 22:55
by Yorkie
xx
Broccoli or Calabrese? question

Started by Jome on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 22:43
by sunshineband
xx
silly cabbage and broccoli question...

Started by JKJ on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 04, 2009, 09:40
by Faz

Page created in 0.564 seconds with 28 queries.