Bl***y snails

• 52 Replies

sclarke624

Re: Bl***y snails
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 22:23 »
I wonder what would happen if you stick some salt on a double sided tape and pot it around pots that had ya veg in.  Like a copper band.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 22:27 »
i painted a snail with tippex for an experiment,i carried it to the other side of our plots (about 300 yards away) and in 3 weeks time i found it again on my plot  :mad:

I am  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: at that!
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 23:03 »
When we moved to our house 10 years ago I collected a whole bucketfull of slugs and snails in a couple of days  :tongue2: I had filled the bucket with soapy water to put them in, and not knowing what to do with the contents I left it in a corner while I thought about it. I will always remember the smell when my small son found the bucket and tipped the contents out  :tongue2:  :tongue2:  :tongue2:
Not sure where I am going with this, just wanted to share that memory  ::)
But the good news is that after years of clearing away hiding places, getting the garden under control, numbers are declining, and I make a point of not using slug pellets, except inside the greenhouse. We have a thrush living nearby, I think that helps.  :)
Rachael

violet61

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 23:47 »
Well thats another bag of the little b**gers  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Debbie D

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 13:13 »
Thanks for all the tips, will definitely have a tidy up of pots and stuff to see if I can find where the little blighters hang out.  The tip about spraying the salt water solution around cold frame sounds well worth a try.  The trouble is I have a real phobia of slugs and snails so there is no way I could go round collecting them,  urgggghhh the thought of it makes me shudder.  I can just about drop a rock on a snail from a great height but thats as close as I can get.  Do crushed egg shells round plants work with snails (we have chickens so have plenty of those). 

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 13:41 »
Haven't tried egg shells, but somebody once recommended mussel shells....not sure if it was down to possible sea salt content in them, but didn't appear to work when I tried it :(

Beejay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 15:10 »
Killing snails and slugs. Disgusting  :ohmy:

What about there rights. They have the right to eat your veggies.

But not mine or anybody I know or even anybody who is reading this  ;)

Bl***y snails :tongue2:

Bring back the Thrush they will sort them out 8)
The answer lies in what you put into the ground!

Beejay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 15:12 »
Save them in a sealed container, feed them on one of your lettuces for a couple of weeks then cook with garlic butter and eat, once word gets around they'll not be so brazen about being found red-footed (snails don't have hands) in your cold frame.

Carolyn xx ;)

What's the recipe?

Patricia

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden blog
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2009, 17:35 »
I have been battling slugs and snails in my veggies for years now. I found this information from another forum to help keep slugs off your veggies with out using slug pellets. This is their suggestion....Slugs hate garlic. Two garlic bulbs chopped up and boiled in two pints of water. The mixture is cooled, strained and then made back up to two pints. A desert spoon is then added to a full watering can and susceptible plants watered in the evening.

I water mine in the morning as wet over night the slugs like that. And I am using a good glug of garlic water in my 5 litre watering can. I also Took the strained mixture and boiled more water with it. So got more garlic water from to use. And so far touch wood it seems to be working. The slugs and snails have left my newly planted squash and my seedlings alone. :) And my pea sprouts too. :)

One side effect though is your garden will smell all nice and garlicy and you won't be getting any vampires either. :D

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2009, 18:51 »
The trouble is I have a real phobia of slugs and snails so there is no way I could go round collecting them,  urgggghhh the thought of it makes me shudder.   

Do you have/know any children you could pay/bribe to collect them for you? Many children seem to quite like handling them.  ;)

violet61

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 19:55 »
The garlic one sounds good, might try that :D I ve got garlic planted about the garden & they dont bother that, just everything else >:(  I ve just bought some copper tape, so off to make some plastic collars with tape round ready for tonight, will report back in a day or 2! Let battle begin!!

DavidT

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 20:10 »
Water everything with Slugclear. :D

sean moore

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 20:11 »
pva glue and salt , thats what i will be trying
regards
sean

violet61

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 23:34 »
Copper tape, brilliant, NOT!! >:(  just been out & theres even more of the little blighters on me broadbeans >:( Next stop, garlic liquid!

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2009, 23:55 »
fun job for slugs,3ft cane with a darning needle taped to the end.get ya torch and go and do a bit of spear hunting.you can get loads on the needle before you need scrape them off.dont bin them leave lying on the ground Kermit will have a feast lol.

xx
Small snails eating my Swede leaves, how do you stop snails ?

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 08, 2011, 13:10
by JohnB47
xx
Are crushed snails a deterrent for other snails?

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 15, 2014, 22:26
by easyonthebrain
xx
Snails different types?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 31, 2010, 01:10
by Paul Plots
xx
Slugs n snails..

Started by Bombers on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 28, 2008, 10:53
by Wildeone

Page created in 0.528 seconds with 36 queries.