Position of beds

• 9 Replies

Glyn

Position of beds
« on: April 27, 2009, 15:20 »
I am going to make some new raised beds on some newly cleared ground on my allotment, but was wondering which way I should position them. North-South or East to West. My allotment runs North -South.
Many Thanks
Glyn

paintedlady

Re: Position of beds
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 15:27 »
It doesn't matter too much but ideally east-west.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 19:15 »
Hate to (potentially) disagree with another member, but it is always best if rows run north - south (both sides get equal light and shade), so I'd recommend north-south beds if you want long rows.

If you actually want lots of shorter rows of stuff (easier to have small amounts of different varieties of veg) then east-west beds are more convenient for planning.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Eatyourgreens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 20:21 »
In theory N - S sounds better, but I put mine in E - W as it suited the way I wanted the paths.

I am sure stuff will grow either way.

Bob

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 20:57 »
Same here EYG, space and practicality wise my paths had to be east - west, but it has no shade whatsoever and everything gets its share of sun enough to be happy
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Bombers

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 21:24 »
Surely this North/south preference is for long rows only,  stuff that's equally spaced in raised beds doesn't make any difference IMHO.  8) If your plot is particularly narrow, then you'd run the beds in that direction anyway, to optimise the growing space.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 21:26 by Bombers »
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 21:27 »
Yes, that would be right, Bombers - I did say N-S for long rows

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 20:53 »
Our beds are arranged in pairs at right angled to each other and I just try to make sure that none are overshadowed, say from runner beans. :blink:
It'll be interesting to see whether NS or EW makes any difference to otherwise indentical sowings
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

paintedlady

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 09:37 »
One of the other major factors to be taken into account is the lay of the land - if your plot is on a slope, it makes sense to avoid having rows that go from top to bottom (especially when it rains heavily)  ;)  My logic for an east-west direction is that at midday, hopefully the sun is at its full strength and brightest in the southern most point where all plants will benefit, but as pointed earlier it doesn't really make any difference (I'm not aware of wild plants in an open area growing in some peculiar direction to the sun's position   :)) and my big plot has equal number of beds in both directions due to its elongated shape and I've had no problems

jamesbrownontheroad

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 09:58 »
If you can, I'd recommend N-S arrangements, but as others have pointed out, provided you consider whether neighbouring plants are going to over-shadow each other (the primary reason for an N-S layout) then you can do pretty much anything. Our entire allotment site seems to have been planted in such a way that N-S rows suit the plots and the site.

xx
Best position

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 29, 2007, 20:03
by richyrich7
xx
greenhouse position

Started by Ropster on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 27, 2009, 20:05
by plum crumble
xx
We are in the enviable position now...

Started by fibilou on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 13:53
by noshed
xx
pepper position

Started by strangerachael on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 28, 2016, 18:14
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.535 seconds with 36 queries.