We are in the enviable position now...

• 1 Replies

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
« on: June 09, 2008, 13:17 »
of having a half plot (the one we've been cultivating for a year) in the countryside and now a new plot which is by the sea. We have a 6x8 GH on the old plot and plan on doubling this on the new plot.

The country plot is on a clay soil and the new plot is on quite light soil.

We have already got gooseberries, blackcurrants, raspberries, recurrants on the "old" plot so as they are settled now I don't plan to move them. I would appreciate some advice about how best to use our plots from this point forward - we plan on doing raised beds in the new one as the soil can apparently get quite wet in winter. I would like to grow some asparagus, a neighbour has a big bed which seems to be working well.

We won't be able to visit the "old" plot quite as much as it is a 9 mile drive away, although it is very near my parent's house (which is how I have it) so we will be visiting at least twice a week. I was thinking maybe bulk crops that need a sturdy soil - potatoes, sweetcorn, brussels etc for next year - that don't need too much day to day attention
Happy, hippy mama with a love of baking, gardening and cake decorating

noshed

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 13:53 »
Winter cabbages and things - as long as you net them off. Chard, if you like it and I've had an outstanding bed of rocket and flat-leaved parsley which has grown all winter and is still going strong, with no attention whatsoever, apart from scissors when harvesting. And the rocket is much tastier than what you get in the supermarket.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

xx
Best position

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 29, 2007, 20:03
by richyrich7
xx
potting on ..... or sow into position ????

Started by kimmy666 on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 16:11
by Growster...
xx
Best position for potatoes

Started by sandygreen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 19, 2012, 18:41
by Goldfinger
xx
Position of beds

Started by Glyn on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 29, 2009, 09:58
by jamesbrownontheroad

Page created in 0.537 seconds with 36 queries.