New setup advice

• 3 Replies

HattonHill

New setup advice
« on: April 16, 2009, 09:09 »
I am just about to start keeping chickens for the first time.

I have persuaded Hubby to fence off part of one of our paddocks (approx 20m x 20m x 5ft high) for me to use as an enclosure. The patch does have some nettles growing naturally and has lovely shade from a Beech tree.

I am considering what type of coop to purchase for my future flock - do I go with the 'trendy' Eglu cube or for a more natural wooden coop? I am leaning more towards the natural option, but would appreciate any advice that you may have. Should I purchase a run to go with the coop, even though it will be inside my fenced enclosure??

I thought that I might start with about 6 hens and see how it goes. We have a good breeder close to us - Amikas poultry - who breed various types and I would like maybe a mix.

Any advice would be gratefully received...........

Foxy

Re: New setup advice
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 09:50 »
it sounds like a lovely area for chickens! :)
Firstly, it is always a good idea to invest in the biggest house possible, and if in a paddock would opt for converting a nice sized shed. We use lads sheds from B&Q, they are 3X4 foot and ample for six hens. I would also consider using electric fencing around your run area to protect from foxes. Here are a couple of topics from poultry information you might find useful.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=32947.0

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=25998.0

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 10:09 »
It sounds lovely and how exciting for you getting your first girls.

I would go for the natural look too and as big as you can get as you won't stick at just 6 girls this is a very addictive hobby I'm afraid!

Good luck.

peanut

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 12:26 »
you need to bear in mind that chooks will easily jump a 5" fence so you may need to raise it!?!

As you have the beech tree, have you considered a raised coop with a ladder?  This provides natural defence against foxes etc at night and also means there is more grass for them to feed on. can't find a picture but basically mounted on a short telegraph pole with ladder for the chooks to the door and removable ladder at the back for you to get the eggs etc.

As for trendy, I bought an Eglu and it is fantastic from a cleaning point of view, but we have natural coops at school and to be honest, for the little extra work, i prefer the natural look.
Plot 11L Woodhall allotments, Chelmsford, Essex. 

It's against the law in Australia to fornicate with a kangaroo.................unless you are drunk!!!  Otherwise, it'd be disgusting :@

xx
Rate my chooks and their setup please...!

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 17, 2012, 12:55
by Cluckyclaire
xx
My setup (bought more chuckys)

Started by coxyMFC on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 13:24
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Thinking about getting chickens- what do you think of this setup?

Started by Nicki85 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 11:33
by Nicki85
xx
Suitable Housing Setup for new chicks

Started by crazychickenlady on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 21, 2012, 21:49
by crazychickenlady

Page created in 0.51 seconds with 31 queries.