Rate my chooks and their setup please...!

• 2 Replies

MrTwang

Rate my chooks and their setup please...!
« on: March 17, 2012, 02:35 »
I haven't got them yet as I'm still waiting for them... They should be ready for Start of April.

I have ordered 2x Old Cotswold Legbars, 2x Burford Browns and 2 Light Sussex's.

From what I was told from the breeder (Legbars of Broadway), the Legbars are more submissive and docile. He didn't mention the temperament of the Browns or the Sussex's though. Just that the Sussex are good layers?

Is this correct and generally what are their temperaments like? Are any of these breeds flighty or not so good with children...? Which are more likely to be the bully's?

So we have six on the cards for now but I would love to get a couple more in a years time. I thinker would need more land first as we want them to have as much land as possible to cause havoc on!

We just went out and bought an Omlet Cube (after I spent 4 hours collecting used coop from an eBay purchase... Blame the Mrs. "ohh I want one of those"!) we went for the extended run and Omlet say it will house 12 hens... I can't imagine they would have much room to be honest! So for now it's just 6 lady's for us!
Will the coop be sufficient for the hens? I was thinking of making another extention for the run...

Another thing, The coop and run will be kept on paving slabs. What is best in the way of hygiene and comfort to put down in the run? Wood chips? If it was to be wood chips then would I want it totally covered (say an inch deep in the floor) and will that be cleanable or a case of recycling it every time I clean out the coop and run?

Sorry for all the questions but I want everything in place for when I collect my lady's and I still have to go out and spend a bit of cash on bedding, wormer, lice power, purple spray ect,ect... Got the food and mixed corn (all organic).

Actully I did find out some fantastic news this week.... We have a vet in our close family and she's going on a poultry course next week with 5 other members of her practice! Could come in handy!

Thanks and I'm sorry to bore you all...

Paul.

Sassy

Re: Rate my chooks and their setup please...!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 08:53 »
Light Sussex are usually good family pets and you can spend time getting them tamer. I don't know about the Burford browns.

Wood chip (not bark) is good on slabs and can be hosed down. There are also disinfectant powders that can be sprinkled on :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Cluckyclaire

Re: Rate my chooks and their setup please...!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 12:55 »
Hello there, with regards what to put in the base of the run, I had mine on grass for 2 weeks but they soon turned it bare so I contacted local landscape gardener who was happy to deliver a load of shrub/conifer clippings, it's great now coop and run is on slabs not all soggy and they love scratching about finding bugs, I empty once a week and you can compost or recycle with council green bin, the clippings allow air to circulate and does not smell, saying that i do clean poop tray every morning,just check nothing in the clippings is poisonous to chickens and no nasties like Japanese knotweed!! All the best, have had my 3 orpingtons for a month just want them to start laying some eggs now! They are 22 weeks so hopefully soon :D
All the best with your lot!
Claire :D

xx
New setup advice

Started by HattonHill on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 12:26
by peanut
xx
My setup (bought more chuckys)

Started by coxyMFC on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 13:24
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Thinking about getting chickens- what do you think of this setup?

Started by Nicki85 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 11:33
by Nicki85
xx
Suitable Housing Setup for new chicks

Started by crazychickenlady on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 21, 2012, 21:49
by crazychickenlady

Page created in 0.71 seconds with 30 queries.