Suitable Housing Setup for new chicks

• 5 Replies
Suitable Housing Setup for new chicks
« on: June 19, 2012, 19:03 »
Hello all.  My hen went broody a few days ago and I have her sitting on 6 rubber eggs at the moment.  I've been shuffling her off the eggs morning and evening and she totters out, has a quick feed (not much) and a quick drink.  She hasn't pooped yet but I suppose she hasn't eaten much either!

I've just placed an order for 6 day old cream legbars (due in 3 weeks) to place under her in the hope that she will adopt them. If she doesn't I'll put them in a broody box.

I have her in a separate coop to her friends which has its own run.  It's the sort that has a run underneath with a sloping piece of wood that leads up to the nest box and perches. 

My questions are:: Will the chicks legs be strong enough to cope with the slope or should I create another nest box that I can slide into the lower part of the run. If I do this do you think its better to move Mother Hen (and eggs) now or should I wait until the chicks arrive. 

Another option would be to keep Mum and chicks in the top house with the door closed for a day or two and then move them.

Any advice would be appreciated as I haven't had chicks before.

Thank You, 

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Suitable Housing Setup for new chicks
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 13:37 »
I had one of my broodies in a similar setup and just kept the door to the run closed for a couple of days when they hatched until I could transfer them to a rabbit hutch.  This was in the colder weather so was fine but it may be too hot this time of the year.  You can usually pick up a cheap secondhand rabbit hutch locally which I found ideal for broodies.  Once the chicks are a week or so old mum brought them out into a secure run which attaches to the hutch (bought cheaply with the hutch).

Good luck with your broody.   :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 21:59 »
That's a good idea, thank you for replying :)  If I start looking now I might even be able to get one on Freecycle before the chicks arrive.  Not sure about the 'too hot bit though, think Summer has been and gone  :lol:

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 22:37 »
Or if you have no luck with freecycle or ebay you could build a small chicken ark. They are very simple to make and plans are available with a quick google search. But you shall be suprised with what will be available on ebay and its worthwhile throwing guinea pig hutches into the search box too theres always plenty of used ones up for grabs.

Good luck with the chicks :)

Jo57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 22:49 »
I use a similar coop to the one you describe. It has a nest box attached 'upstairs' I kept mum and chicks up on top for a day or two with food and water but there was no trouble using the ramp after that and they were jumping up and down onto and off ramp really quickly. Now they are out into the garden with supervision and going back in when I am going to be out for some time. I still shut them in the top at night, whole coop in day and out freerange (at 3 weeks) if I am at home to keep an eye.

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 21:49 »
Thank you both for your advice.  Jo57 - its encouraging to hear that your setup works. It sounds very similar to mine.  I can't wait until the chicks arrive - it isn't until 2 weeks on Friday so Cookie has to stay put on the rubber eggs until then.  I do worry if she is eating/drinking enough but I know chickens have been doing this for longer than me so I'm trying to relax with it.  :D

xx
Parsley for 4 week old chicks, is this suitable

Started by gracie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 22:08
by binghamd
xx
New setup advice

Started by HattonHill on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 12:26
by peanut
xx
Thinking about getting chickens- what do you think of this setup?

Started by Nicki85 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 14, 2011, 11:33
by Nicki85
xx
My setup (bought more chuckys)

Started by coxyMFC on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 10, 2009, 13:24
by Roughlee Handled

Page created in 0.637 seconds with 36 queries.