Cabbage Question

• 5 Replies

sazzy123

• Experienced Member
Cabbage Question
« on: April 08, 2009, 12:27 »
We planted some cabages last year for overwintering, most got damaged by birds and out of the ones we have managed to protect one is forming a head and the other is just growing upwards with no sign of a head.... it is growing leaves inbetween stalk and leaves (if u know what i mean) does it need digging out and composting?  they look like 2 completly diff plants but having never grown these before im not sure what to do.

thanks

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
Re: Cabbage Question
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 12:30 »
I have the same problem ;  I overwintered some cabbages but it was my hens that stripped them bare!  :ohmy:   

As I have managed to keep them off the rest of the allotment recently the cabbages are starting to recover so I was going to leave them in with some poultry manure for nitrogen to get them to leaf up and it seems to be working.

Jay Dubya

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 20:42 »
Hi, a couple of points, one is bolting to seed pull it up, next year treat yourself to some weldmesh and make some wire cloches you'll keep all your cabs.

sazzy123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 20:59 »
 thought tha might be the case about bolting, i aways thought they did this if left too long, its never even looked like a cabbage!!! lol

Stripey_cat

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2009, 21:09 »
They'll bolt if they're stressed, or if the soil is too loose or too rich.  If it's not too far gone yet, you could eat it as spring greens.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 21:53 »
They'll bolt if they're stressed, or if the soil is too loose or too rich.  If it's not too far gone yet, you could eat it as spring greens.

All Ive done since planting my cabbages caulies and sprouts is jump on the bed and stamp them down.  I didnt do that last year and everything was useless  :(
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

xx
A Cabbage Question....

Started by Irene on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 20:41
by Irene
xx
CABBAGE QUESTION

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 18, 2009, 13:43
by Aidy
xx
Cabbage question

Started by GrowHappy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 12:25
by Kristen
xx
Cabbage Question

Started by Glen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 18:55
by MarkG

Page created in 0.558 seconds with 36 queries.