A Cabbage Question....

• 3 Replies

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
A Cabbage Question....
« on: April 20, 2011, 20:05 »
I'm blessed with numerous cloth and plastic cloches for protection when needed and wondered if anyone here has ever experimented with planting cabbage seeds directly into the garden plot?

I have space for the experiment but wonder if the glass of wine this evening is making me feel over optomistic. My kitchen garden is all of 30 secs from the house so responding to colder weather would be easy as far as placing the cloches. Has anyone tried this???

prakash_mib

Re: A Cabbage Question....
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 20:16 »
there are lots of varieties of cabbages (eg. primo) which comes with sow direct instructions. I think it should be allright  if you try one of those :)
and I dont think you need cloches for them (you can use them until they germinate and then net them straightaway
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 20:23 »
Cabbage responds well to direct sowing into a well tithed area.  It wont suffer with the cold either.

You'll be fine  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Irene

• Experienced Member
    • Idaho Gardening
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 20:41 »
Well...as I've poured my second glass of wine and really want to try this that's all the validation I need  :D

Tomorrow I will start using one row for "starts"...definitely cabbage, but may also try my other brassicas (brussel sprouts, broccolli, etc.). I'll back up with my greenhouse but would truly like to see how this works. My kitchen garden is already stitched but I will rework one with a good potting medium to give the seeds optimum opportunity to prove their worth.

As an ex-pat I can't tell you how much I have learned and enjoy gardening in the U.K.. Its quite a different approach..in a positive way.

xx
CABBAGE QUESTION

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 18, 2009, 13:43
by Aidy
xx
cabbage question

Started by shaun_darbs on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 14, 2013, 08:48
by compostqueen
xx
Cabbage Question

Started by Glen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 18:55
by MarkG
xx
Cabbage Question

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 21:53
by peapod

Page created in 0.429 seconds with 28 queries.