Cabbage question

• 7 Replies

GrowHappy

Cabbage question
« on: June 08, 2009, 19:55 »
I am a newbie veg grower. :)
I planted several types of brassicas late last autumn. My first mistake was to lose all references to what I had planted where and everything in the brassica bed got muddled up. :blush:
Not a problem really except that now I have some tall straggly 'cabbages??' that are on stalks about a foot long. I'm pretty certain they are cabbages of some sort as they are just beginning to produce heads and the leaves from the lower stems which we have harvested are good to eat and taste like cabbage!
I just wondered if anyone knows why they might be on long stalks? And, if they're not cabbages, what might they be? If they are cabbage - are the long stalks a sign of a mistake in my growing system (other than the mixed up planting of course)!

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
Re: Cabbage question
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 19:59 »
Have you any idea what else you planted GrowHappy - it may help identify them

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 20:01 »
Some large growing cabbage does end up on stalks by the time you remove lower leaves as they go yellow...or in your case to eat  :lol: or else they are your brussel sprouts :tongue2: :lol:

GrowHappy

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 20:07 »
Thanks for such quick responses!
I planted purple sprouting - which is relatively easy to recognise as it is sprouting! And two (or perhaps three?) types of cabbage and potentially some callabrese (although this is where my memory fails me completely). To be honest - I thought most of the cabbages had died and been pulled but there are about 6 strong plants that have survived and are clearly all the same variety. Of what though....????
I did not plant any brussells in this bed - they are in a small bed for winter brassicas - I onloy ever eat sprouts at Christmas!  :D

barney rubble

• We are Barney and Rubble and we love digging
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 20:11 »
might be best to see what comes up then :D  you'll enjoy it all the more knowing it was your effort (if not your book keepin :lol:) that brought it to fruition :)

NigelB

• Experienced Member
    • Pictures from the garden and greenhouse..
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 20:11 »
I have a similar problem.....
I'm guessing you may have ordered them as plugs on-line GrowHappy?
I did.... Two types of Cabbage it said, and Purple Sprouting Brocolli and a Cauliflower-type plant too.... Then, when they arrived, I remember a note with them saying they had had germination problems and some, if not all, items had been replaced.... It went on to list the replacements but I lost the note...
... Haven't a flippin' clue.... But I also have some very large, what I took to be Purple Sprouting Broccoli that now cover an area of more than a square yard each, with a hint of purple, but no sprouting Broccoli....
..... So I have been eating the leaves pretending it's Cabbage.
Yesterday I made Beef Stuffed 'Cabbage' Leaves from an online recipe.... It was pretty good.... And the kids ate it too, which was nice..........  :)

GrowHappy

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 20:21 »
Mmmm. Beef stuffed cabbage sounds good.
I recommend shredded cabbage with loads of herbage and garlic. Its a great way to eat all those big, thick leaves from the lower stems - just remove the thickest middle vein.
Shred as thin as poss then toss the lot in a wok for a few mins. Delicious!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 12:25 »
"with a hint of purple, but no sprouting Broccoli"

The Purple should be the sprouting bit, which will form in the middle.
IMG_4772_PurpleSproutingBrocolli.jpg

xx
cabbage question

Started by shaun_darbs on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 14, 2013, 08:48
by compostqueen
xx
cabbage question

Started by babycakes on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 04, 2010, 15:59
by Lewjam
xx
Cabbage Question

Started by sazzy123 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 21:53
by peapod
xx
Cabbage Question

Started by Glen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 06, 2008, 18:55
by MarkG

Page created in 0.91 seconds with 38 queries.