Security on the allotment - what measures do you take?

• 40 Replies

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
Security on the allotment - what measures do you take?
« on: February 27, 2009, 10:01 »
 :(  >:( Went to the allotment this morning to check everything is ok and the skip has been messed around with.  Junk pulled out of it and dumped on the floor etc.  I know this in itself isn't a big deal, it just made my heart sink thinking is this the start of things to come - before I even GET started!?  Hubby said it was probably tatters ("Rag & Bone" men) looking for scrap metal to weigh in - I am hoping that this is the case and that is wasn't kids who have discovered the site.  It is fairly well tucked away, I was hoping to stay hidden!

It got me pondering and wondering about site security and the sorts of things people do to try and protect their plots.  What measures do you peeps recommend?  Any advice appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 11:50 by Aunt Sally »
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Security on the allotment - what measures do you take?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 11:54 »
Posts which some members may find offensive have been removed by Admin/Moderators.

Edit: These posts were not made by Lady Lottie !
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 12:32 by Aunt Sally »

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 12:21 »
It probably is someone looking for weigh in. Once it's gone they won't bother.

Site security a big fence all round the site gates with a lock all members having keys bout as far as you go really.  Could grow wild blackberries on the fence very few peeps will try to go through that.
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

Lady Lottie

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 13:24 »
Mmmm...nothing more than I thought then really.  Just wondering if I was missing any tricks.  Thanks Celtic Eagle. :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 13:27 »
We have a big padlock on our site gate and a strong lock on our shed.

I think it was richyrich2 who said that locks are to keep honest people out  :(

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 13:29 »
It's part of a bigger discussion though - and a good one to bring up

I always worried about my tools going walkies so when I got the shed I put a lock on it.
However, one could argue that that attracts attention - making it look like you've got something to hide.
It looks like there's something worth stealing by having a lock in the first place.

Dunno what to do really  :unsure:
If at first you don't succeed..... cheat!

Parsnip

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 13:32 »
We have no security whatsoever. I've only just taken on my lottie, so i don't know if it's an issue. They have a large gate at the entrance which is never even closed, never mind locked...and there are other gates further up that are left open ??? I'm slightly concerned about my new shed ( which we haven't erected yet) with my tools...we'll just have to wait and see I suppose..

What is someones rubbish is sometimes someones gold isn't it..I've had stuff taken from a skips that I had outside my old house - mind you we've also gained one or two bits too ::) :D

Lady Lottie

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 13:34 »

I always worried about my tools going walkies so when I got the shed I put a lock on it.
However, one could argue that that attracts attention - making it look like you've got something to hide.
It looks like there's something worth stealing by having a lock in the first place.

That is exactly what someone said to me - that a big new shiny lock makes it look worth investigating what's behind it! ::) So does one practice reverse psychology by NOT having one or not?  Some site rules I believe, say you HAVE to lock up your sheds etc...

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 13:58 »
We  have zero security and had to take the consequences over Christmas with a spate of vandalism. Lots of sheds were damaged/destroyed for the hell of it, things thrown around, pulled out of the ground etc. We are petitioning for a 'dispersal order', which means if police catch a group of two or more suspicious people loitering, they can move them on, and to be fair the police have been quite good about patrolling the area since it was reported, and we don't seem to have had too much trouble since, fingers crossed.
The site manager has looked into getting security fencing, but it's such a large site it would be prohibitively expensive, not to mention unsightly. Also because there is one person who apparently does not want the gates to be locked, therefore they are not  ??? I don't understand that logic but there we go.
Rachael

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 14:13 »

That is exactly what someone said to me - that a big new shiny lock makes it look worth investigating what's behind it! ::) So does one practice reverse psychology by NOT having one or not?  Some site rules I believe, say you HAVE to lock up your sheds etc...

How about having two doors on the shed?
the outside door could be really rubbish-looking with no locks and then the inside one could be sturdy with a lock on it.
 :)
also, have a shed without windows, or if you have windows stick on the two-way stuff so it's a mirror on the outside.

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 14:21 »
we don't have anything of real value left at the allotment so i'm more worried about casual vandalism than theft (other than the veg of course), but i think that our insubstantial chicken wire fence serves as a psychological barrier (no one can 'accidentally' wander onto the plot) whilst the amateurish nature of its construction avoids attracting attention.

i've not heard people on site complaining about theft of veg, but who knows what might happen if the end of the economic world really is nigh, and i don't really see any way of preventing it. Is there anything that can be done on that front?

MoreWhisky

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 14:32 »
I agree with the way things going our fruit and veg is going to become increasingly 'nickable' . 5sticks of Rubarb is currently £3 from tesco.

What are we going to have to put an anti person cage round first??
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

dougsta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 14:33 »
How about having two doors on the shed?
the outside door could be really rubbish-looking with no locks and then the inside one could be sturdy with a lock on it.
 :)
also, have a shed without windows, or if you have windows stick on the two-way stuff so it's a mirror on the outside.

Nice idea :)
Do you remember the Monty Python sketch "Arthur 'Two-Sheds' Jackson"? Very very funny
That could be me  - Arthur 'Two Shed Doors' Jackson :D

I think the mirrored glass would have the same effect "What's he got in there that's worth hiding then?"
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 15:18 by dougsta »

noshed

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 14:55 »
On a similar theme I saw a bloke on the tele with a shed which had two back walls, with about a foot in between where he kept his tools.
I lock most of my tools to a bike lock at the back of my shed, which is linked to the fence behind the shed. It would probably just annoy people though.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Lady Lottie

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 16:05 »
Yes - hubby (uber security conscious ::)) is on about constructing some kind of false floor to hide tools in - but maybe a false wall at the back might be easier - thanks for the idea noshed!  Can't wait to see the bemused expressions on other plot holder's faces when they see me emerge from my "magic empty shed" with umpteen different tools in hand! lol...that's if I ever GET any neighbours.... ::) :D

xx
Allotment site - gate security

Started by BAK on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 06, 2009, 12:52
by diggerjoe
xx
Plot security!

Started by GillyHen on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post May 20, 2009, 17:05
by jamesbrownontheroad
xx
New allotment

Started by badger71 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2009, 20:13
by Christine
xx
allotment

Started by superpete on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 25, 2013, 22:07
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.761 seconds with 28 queries.