Earthing up

• 16 Replies

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
Earthing up
« on: February 23, 2009, 19:04 »
Hi,

I am a newbie to potatoe planting and indeed veg growing in general, so I apologise in advance as I shall be visitng here with loads of questions over the coming months  :ohmy

Q - How many times do I 'earth up' potatoes.  I am looking to grow some in the ground and some in 3 new dustbins I have.

Thanks

Emma
Emma

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Re: Earthing up
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 19:58 »
I only earth up my potatoes if I feel like the excercise. It is supposed to stop the tubers from going green, but I have not noticed any difference between earthed up or not earthed up. Earthing up also gets rid of weeds between the rows.
I have never done it more than once. Do what you want and don't worry about it too much. enjoy your spuds.

woodburner

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 20:18 »
I've seen some really horribly green potatoes lying on the surface of the ground, where the plants had not been earthed up.
Some of  my own, no-dig potatoes got a bit green where the covering had got disturbed by roaming chooks, and I hadn't noticed til it was too late.

Maybe azubah got away with not earthing up by planting deeply?
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 20:21 »
I plant and make a small mound.  When the leaves show I earth up again. 
Cheese makes everything better.

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 21:44 »
Thank you for your replies.

I am still not sure I really undertsand why  :blush:

Is it because the tubers grow close to the leaves and need dark to stop them going green, therefore building up the earth forces the stem/leaves to grow upwards leaving the tubers in the dark?????

Sorry if I am being a bit dense, but as I said I am really new to this and hopefully understanding why will help me get it right  :happy:

One last questions how do you know when to stop earthing up?

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 21:50 »
You do need to earth up to stop the green ones, I always stop when I can't be bothered anymore or have better things to do. A more definitive answer would probably to do with flowers, possibly.  In years I haven't earthed up I just haven't had as many edible spuds, which is what you want. Nic.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 22:02 »
A potato is not a root vegetable it is an underground stem, a tuber.  Therefore if it comes into contact with light it will go green and not be edible.  That's why potatoes are earthed up. ;)

MoreWhisky

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 22:05 »
Someone told me when the plant first comes through earth up over it as well. is this correct?

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 22:09 »
That's what I do. 8)

Lady Lottie

• I love Hugh Fearnley Wearnley... :o))))
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 22:11 »
Hello  :)

Does this help?  Its from BBC Gardener's World website.   :)

Potatoes will grow very quickly under warm and moist conditions. When they are 10cm tall, the leafy shoots can be mounded around with soil to their full height. This will increase the length of underground stems that will bear potatoes. This mounding can be repeated once or twice more at 2 - 3 week intervals to ensure the best crop, with the added benefit of smothering any competing weeds.

Do it:late-May - late-June
Takes just:20 minutes
How to do itLoosen soil between the rows using a garden fork. Use a rake to draw the soil into a ridge along the length of the row around the emerging stems of the potatoes. Leave a shallow trough along the row at the top of the ridge to channel any water down to the developing tubers.
When growing potatoes in large pots or sacks, the tubers will have been planted into 10cm of compost at the base of the container. As the shoots emerge, add more compost at regular intervals, 5cm at a time, until the container is almost full.

"On light soil, mix in well-rotted garden or bagged compost to earth up the potato plants. This helps conserve moisture which swells the tubers."

I grew spuds in the garden last year in a stone trough that goes around my patio.  Spent loads of extra cash on topsoil to earth them up (cos the trough was so narrow there wasn't any "earth" to "earth up" with! derrrrrrrrrrr...... :lol:)  but hat LOTS of lovely spuds and no greenies.  :)  And I didn't measure, I didn't do it neatly and I don't know about timing......I just chucked soil around the stems when I thought they looked like they needed it.  I think spuds must be a very laid back veggie in terms of TLC requirements if I grew them successfully! :o)

« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 22:14 by Lady Lottie »
"To forget how to dig the earth and to tend the soil is to forget ourselves." - Mahatma Gandhi

"Gardening requires lots of water - most of it in the form of perspiration." - Lou Erickson, cartoonist and illustrator

MoreWhisky

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 22:16 »
good Job my plots next to the cemetry with all this 'earth'ing up  ::)

sclarke624

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 23:58 »
Lady lottie said what I was thinking that the tats grow from the stem therefore the more stem produced by earthing up the more tats to come from that stem.  I only container grow my tats.  I start of with six inches of soil lay the tats on top of that and cover with a bit of compost/soil THEREFORE  if I didn't bother earthing up there would only be six inches to eight inches of soil to grow the tats in, which wouldn't give many tats.  My containers are about 2ft deep I earth up gradually and have containers full of tats.  I do eventually get fed up with earthing up and stop about 6 inches from the top.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

sclarke624

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 00:12 »
Its not only about green tats also about tats growing from buried stem, as these pics might show:

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_november_1_potato.asp

Useful explanatory sketches http://www.potatoesforschools.org.uk/media/files/ks1and2_factsheet_2-2a.pdf

Had a google and As said  potatoes grow above the original potato, from sprouts grown along the buried stem.  You are supposed to leave a bit of green leave showing each time you earth up, then it grows a bit and so on.  Keep well watered, obviously don't forget your drainage holes, a bit of chicken pellet manure would help them along.  Don't know anything about growing in the ground.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 00:17 by sclarke624 »

Charlie's Chickens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 19:15 »
Thank you all for your really helpful replies.  :D

The diagrams on your link sclarke624 were really great in helping me understand 'why'.

Right now for some patience as I want to get stuck in now  :wub:

Paul Plots

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 19:31 »
Nobody seems to have mentioned it (unless I have read too quickly again! ::)) but one reason for earthing up can be (I believe) to help protect the new growth from late frosts.

Frost can damage the top growth and set potatoes back - at worst it can cause the developing tubers to be "sweet" - as far as I can remember it makes them taste odd and change consistency  :tongue2:

Green potatoes should not be eaten at all - they are poisonous. Light on the tubers = green spuds as everyone has said.

Earthing-up helps increase the area into which new tubers can grow so can result in an increased crop size (again as someone has already said).

Number of times to earth-up??? Once maybe but if the top growth shows above the earth and frost threatens then earth-up again to protect new growth or cover with some type of frost protection so the leaves/stem is protected from the cold. I've used grass-mowings before now as they were to hand and this worked well - was quick and easy.

All of the above information passed on to me by my dad - now 93 but had a plot for years and years and years..... I nearly always do what my dad says (until he isn't looking that is! ;))
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

xx
Earthing Up!

Started by Welsh Merf on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post April 21, 2013, 19:35
by New shoot
xx
Earthing up????

Started by ck2day on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 13:44
by ck2day
xx
Earthing up

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 08:22
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
Earthing Up... Why?

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 04, 2016, 16:48
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.501 seconds with 28 queries.