Earthing Up!

• 18 Replies

Lottiman

Re: Earthing Up!
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 08:23 »
Mine go in 6'' deep with a sprinkle of soot leave flat and earth up when they are up 6'' and then again a little more later on.  :)
Optimism probably a gardeners best tool.

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 15:24 »
I'm a trencher of spuds or I grow them in bags - in which case they get earthed up anyway as I plant them in the bottom of the bag :)

The only spuds I put in the allotment beds are ones less susceptible to slug damage. I do throw a few slug pellets around now and again.

I tried nematodes one year - I swear they escaped from my plot and went to my mate John's plot as he had hardly any slugs that year!!
Either that or they died in transit via the post office and John was just lucky! :lol:

Ivor Backache

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 19:21 »
As regards the slug pellets, as MoS says, there are slug resistant varities, but I also plant with a handful of wood ash from my open fire.  I hoard the ash over the winter to use on the plot come spring.  Its an age old trick, but really does seem to work  :)

I have not heard of this so I googled 'wood ash potato trench' and found it is not a good thing to do. Wood ash makes the soil alkaline and that induces scab on potato.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 19:35 »
As regards the slug pellets, as MoS says, there are slug resistant varities, but I also plant with a handful of wood ash from my open fire.  I hoard the ash over the winter to use on the plot come spring.  Its an age old trick, but really does seem to work  :)

I have not heard of this so I googled 'wood ash potato trench' and found it is not a good thing to do. Wood ash makes the soil alkaline and that induces scab on potato.

Never had a problem myself.  Maybe a small handfull at planting is not enough to make the soil pH really change?  :)

xx
EARTHING UP????

Started by grosmont50 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 18, 2011, 13:12
by grosmont50
xx
Earthing up??

Started by ck2day on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 19, 2008, 22:17
by Trillium
xx
Earthing up?

Started by ConfusedGardener on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 26, 2019, 08:11
by DD.
xx
Earthing up????

Started by ck2day on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 13:44
by ck2day

Page created in 0.465 seconds with 37 queries.