Earthing up?

• 6 Replies

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
Earthing up?
« on: April 25, 2019, 15:40 »
Hi all.

I have not earthed up my spuds, and they are just breaking the soil now. It looks like the threat of frosts has passed. Should I bother earthing them up?

Kleftiwallah

Re: Earthing up?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 17:00 »

I believe...that the spuds grow from the stem above the seed potato, so earthing up increases this distance and more spuds have a stem from which to grow.  However, don't earth up and cover all the plant, it needs sun on the leaves to grow.  So earth up but leave the leaves  showing.  Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 17:29 »
there is always a risk of frost, check your local frost dates here.. https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/adjust-dates-england-b-alt.php
Just scroll down to the map of Britain.
Now what I do is personal to me, I will let them grow to about 6 inches then earth up unless there is a threat of frost then I will earth up to be safe.
Hope that helps.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 18:13 »
Mine are through, but this year I'm only earthing up one row of spuds and I'm not bothering to do the other unless there is a risk of frost.  I just want to see if it really does make a difference.  Needless to say both rows are adjacent to each other in the same bed, and are the same variety.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 18:20 »
Mine are through, but this year I'm only earthing up one row of spuds and I'm not bothering to do the other unless there is a risk of frost.  I just want to see if it really does make a difference.  Needless to say both rows are adjacent to each other in the same bed, and are the same variety.

If you don't earth up, expect a lot of your spuds to be green!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 20:57 »
Thank you all for the replies.

I guess I will earth up then, since I don't like green spuds!  :nowink: I knew there was something I was missing, but could not think what, even though this will be 6th year in a row I've grown spuds!

I'm not convinced they would yield any better either way, but my guess is that earthed up plants would produce more numerous/smaller tubers than non-earthed up.

I realise that while there is always a chance of frost, at least for the moment, that chance is receding. I will be ready with earth/fleece however, should the prospect of a late frost raise it's ugly head!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 08:11 »
Quote from: RHS
Earthing up protects newly emerging foliage from frost damage. It also protects the developing potatoes from light that turns potato tubers green. Green potatoes are poisonous.

xx
earthing up

Started by pauly58 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 16, 2013, 18:12
by fatbelly
xx
Earthing up??

Started by ck2day on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post February 19, 2008, 22:17
by Trillium
xx
Earthing up Oca

Started by icbradley on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 04, 2012, 12:25
by icbradley
xx
Earthing up????

Started by ck2day on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 13:44
by ck2day

Page created in 1.016 seconds with 36 queries.