Earthing Up!

• 18 Replies

Welsh Merf

Earthing Up!
« on: April 20, 2013, 10:20 »
I have asked this question to a lot of people on the allotments, and the answer seems to be equally divided. So let's see what you people have to say:

I have just planted my seed potatoes yesterday afternoon. I did not earth-up, leaving the ground flat instead, until the plants come through. Some people say that it is the right thing to do, others say that I should earth-up from the start.

Also, somebody told me that I shold have put slug-pellets in the trench, along with the seed-potatoes. I've never done this before (although, it's been decades since I last grew anything!).

Your comments and advice much appreciated, as usual!
I may be Welsh, but I love ewe anyway!

See my diary pages here

and add a comment here

Growing4mykids

• Many a mickle makes a muckle
Re: Earthing Up!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 10:36 »
Hi, i'd heard the same but i left my ground flat and will earth up as they come through a few inch, and i'd read somewhere about the slug pellets, yet i didn't do that either!! Be interesting to hear what people think  :)
It's like a jungle sometimes, it makes me wonder how i keep from going under......

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 10:39 »
I plant my spuds in a spade-depth trench, so the spuds are around 6" deep initially and have a mound of excavated soil alongside them. 6" is deep enough to keep the tubers safe underground but doesn't give them too much work to do to reach the surface

The mound is used for the first earthing up, usually when the shoots are a few inches above the ground, but before that if frost is forecast. The second earthing up takes place when the growth is more established and hopefully frosts are over.

At the end of it all the soil has been disturbed at least twice, which, together with the canopy of leaves, is the reason spuds are regarded as a good crop for newly cultivated ground as it deters the growth of weeds.

I don't know whether I'd really want to use slug pellets when planting - I probably would have to consider it if I knew I had a slug problem but luckily I don't - nematodes are another option, but not a cheap one.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:41 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 10:40 »
I  put mine in about 6-8 inches deep and earth up then earth up when they pop through and then earth up again, slug pellets i dont bother with i think it depends on what type of spuds your growing, the slugs like some more than others.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 10:45 »
I earth up about 6 inches after planting, then again when they are through. My site's very prone to frost. I also mix the earthed up soil with compost to stop the clay forming a cap.

I don't slug pellet potatoes when I plant, but I do use some of my nematode allowance on them.

Growing4mykids

• Many a mickle makes a muckle
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 10:48 »
I may come across naieve, but, what are nematodes?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 12:44 »
Nematodes?
info here
http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/nemaslug-slug-killer-info-ggid29.html

as regards to planting potatoes, any of the above options work  :lol: There is no right and wrong way to do it ;)

and yes, some people do put slug pellets in with the seed spuds, where there is problem, I think it's easier to chose potato varieties that are more slug resistant :)

Ivor Backache

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 15:17 »
I trench my potatoes. Leave them open for a few days for the birds to have good look, then plant. I never get slug damage on earlies which suggests that they are out of the ground before the slugs get going. Probably the reason that slug pellets don't work-they get washed out of the soil before the slugs.
I Leave the trench flat until growth is seen then add some fertiliser and then earth them up. Job done. Farmers earth the potatoes at the time of planting.
Kestral (2nd early) rarely get attacked and red Disiree (main) have minimal damage.
Another prevention is not to leave them in the ground.

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2013, 20:18 »
Last year I planted my spuds two ways.  The first being i stuck them a few inches under the soil, covered them up.  Then as new growth came through I covered them up, and kept doing this until I had no more soil to cover them with.   The second method was, stick the potatoes on top of the soil that was fairly hard, had not been dug over or tilled, covered them with soil, waited for growth to come through (I hoped) and then continue to cover them as and when needed.  The potatoes was the same, purchased at the same time from the same shop.  The end results was the first way of doing it produced more potatoes but but smaller ones, and the second way i did it still gave me a good crop, but they all seemed to be bigger.  Maybe it was luck that they was different, maybe as they first lot was planted about 35ft away from the second lot, different soil conditions, different amount of light etc might of played a part.  Overall though I was more than happy with both outcomes, and I would say you can't really go wrong no matter what way you do them.
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 21:08 »
This year I haven't made a mound of soil on the trench of the potatoes as I have found in other years that the shoots all came through at the sides where there was less soil,I assume heading for the light. So this year I have left it flat with the soil piled up behind the trench ready to pull forwards when there is some top growth. What I did do was use the potato spreader that R gave me when he left his plot that I eventually swapped to,it worked very well & I thought of him & hoped he was well.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 22:27 »
Plant 6" deep.  Leave the soil flat.

Earth up for the first time when the shoots are about 6" high, and continue ridging up the soil as often as I can be bothered.

Let the leaves see the light.  That's what is making your spuds
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 22:28 by gremlin »
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

Welsh Merf

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2013, 07:36 »
Wonderful! Thank you all for your advice. It seems that opinions are shared on here as well.

Looks like I'll have to do it both ways, and see what happens. After all, this is my first year on the allotment, therefore the "experimental year"! It'll be interesting!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 07:50 »
I plant my spuds in flat ground, then earth up.

As regards the slug pellets, as MoS says, there are slug resistant varities, but I also plant with a handful of wood ash from my open fire.  I hoard the ash over the winter to use on the plot come spring.  Its an age old trick, but really does seem to work  :)

Welsh Merf

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2013, 07:56 »
I plant my spuds in flat ground, then earth up.

As regards the slug pellets, as MoS says, there are slug resistant varities, but I also plant with a handful of wood ash from my open fire.  I hoard the ash over the winter to use on the plot come spring.  Its an age old trick, but really does seem to work  :)

At present we have a gas fire in the living room. But when there's no need for a fire anymore this year it will be removed, and replaced with a wood-buring stove. Bring on the ash!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2013, 07:59 »
A wood-burning stove - lovely  :D

Wood ash is great stuff  :)  I use it round plants as a slug barrier as well as in planting holes  :)

xx
Earthing up?

Started by ConfusedGardener on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 26, 2019, 08:11
by DD.
xx
Earthing up Oca

Started by icbradley on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 04, 2012, 12:25
by icbradley
xx
Earthing up????

Started by ck2day on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 13:44
by ck2day
xx
Earthing up

Started by Charlie's Chickens on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 25, 2009, 00:52
by Paul Plots

Page created in 1.264 seconds with 38 queries.