Planting Today?

• 34 Replies

out4nowt

• Experienced Member
Re: Planting Today?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 18:48 »
Great weather up here today, it makes you think you can plant anything... but I'm sure things will cool down again, so I'm not risking anything other than garlic, broad beans and maybe some peas with protection.

Christine

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 19:14 »
I'm with Duracell - ground is still too cold this far north. Planting out can wait. I got some winter onions and garlic in during November so that is one corner still busy.

Most of the allotment holders here are still clearing the last of the leeks, cabbage and root veg from last year and letting the ground stand idle at the moment. I've only just cleared the last of the swedes and have a few cabbages left.

At the moment I'm preparing - the ground on the allotment has sunk and I'm doing a major dig in of compost which will keep me going for a good few days (another 40 x 40 litre bags to move  ::))

At least the compost heap for the marrows and courgettes is in hand and the ground will be well prepared by the time it starts to get warm (or winter returns as it did in March last year - remember the snow at Easter?)

digalotty

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 19:22 »
same here a beatifull day, i took the top off my plot ready to dig over tomorow, moor sun please :) :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

noshed

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 21:39 »
Here in Walthamstow the air temperature was 14 deg C and the soil temp was 7 deg C. Soil still chilly for germination. I'm building another cold frame tomorrow.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

DIGGER

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 21:44 »
This time next month,I'll fly into action

rink123

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 23:05 »
Well i have put some peas in to day,and some broadbeans that i started of in my propagators now 2ins high ,hope they live  ::) and it was such a sunny day to day in my green house it was 67, :happy: .

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 00:45 »
planting???? I have only just started to prepare the very wet ground. I will be lucky to start planting in March.
always have a target
and an objective.

smc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 08:16 »
ground seems to be getting loads better here  had cherry trees come friday and my wife got me some other trees from lidal,so might drop them in sunday with some garlic??any body not agree with me?  my the sun shine and last i say

themoog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 15:03 »
Still too cold and wet here at the moment, despite a lovely dry week. An emergency sowing of herbs indoors has stopped me from doing anything rash on the plot.

Just in time though  :blush:, it was a close one!
My music teacher was right. If you have to make a mistake, make it good and big and loud; with a bit of luck people will think that it was always meant to be like that.

Babstreefern

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 15:39 »
Been dry most of the week, so yesterday I managed to dig out 8 blackcurrant bushes (I like them, but not the back-breaking work of cleaning them and nipping off the "bits"), they were quite a few years old from the last person who had it (we did a swap last November), and the one goosegog bush he had, I moved it to my others along the back fence.  I then dug some 6' wooden stakes out of the ground as they were used for the raspberry canes - I don't like raspberries, and then started digging over the plots getting them ready for runner and french beans.

I've not planted anything (except garlic which are coming on a treat), but I've got my early spuds in the greenhouse chitting away, along with sweetpeas, caulies and some flowers.  At home in my conservatory (and the back bedroom and landing window), where its warmer, I've got my onions (mammoth), leeks, cabbages and sprouts.  The thing is, its getting very awkward of where to sit!LOL :wub:
Babs

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 15:49 »

I've not planted anything (except garlic which are coming on a treat), but I've got my early spuds in the greenhouse chitting away, along with sweetpeas, caulies and some flowers.  At home in my conservatory (and the back bedroom and landing window), where its warmer, I've got my onions (mammoth), leeks, cabbages and sprouts.  The thing is, its getting very awkward of where to sit!LOL :wub:

My OH remarked today that our house is turning into his mums'  as he remembers it from childhood - ie - not a free windowsill anywhere - no idea where I'm going to put 30 pepper plants once they need potting on again :D

themoog

• Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 16:11 »
My neighbour says that she knows spring is on its way when she spies tray and trays of seedlings on the window sills  :wub:.

yummy

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 16:39 »
my radish french breakfast packet says sow from Feb so I popped a row in yesterday  :)

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 16:56 »
I will confess to having put my first earlies, Lady Crystl, in today but the soil is warm and had plenty of organic stuff added to it in autumn so the worms are working overtime.  If they fail, they fail and I'll have learned my lesson.  If not I'll have a nice early crop of taties come May!

shaun

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2009, 17:02 »
planted 5 spuds (ulster cheiftan)in 2 very large trugs in the greenhouse.also sown broad beans,peas,leeks,cauli and cabbage in cold greenhouse.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

xx
sun is out on today,,what you planting then???

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 13, 2009, 17:06
by Babstreefern
xx
Planting out!

Started by pinkdaisychain on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 18:55
by sunshineband
xx
planting out

Started by mat whitlock on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2016, 08:32
by mumofstig
xx
2nd planting

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 16:35
by JayG

Page created in 0.5 seconds with 31 queries.