I was told lately that:-

• 12 Replies

focusonveg

« on: February 18, 2007, 21:41 »
Iwas told lately that i could put the leaves off weeds in a compost bin with other vegetable waste is this true :? thank you in advance.
How much oil could a gumboil boil if a gumboil could boil oil hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!

WG.

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 21:42 »
Yup, sure can

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2007, 22:53 »
Be sure that it's only the leaves and stalks you put in, not seed pods unless you're turning your compost over regularly and getting good heat to burn them.  :D

WG.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 22:58 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
Be sure that it's only the leaves and stalks you put in, not seed pods unless you're turning your compost over regularly and getting good heat to burn them.  :D
Good point Trillium.  The roots are good too since they'll have some soil to keep the bacteria population up.   Hint: kill nasty roots like couch grass or bishop weed before adding (dry off in sun/wind for a week or more).

muntjac

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2007, 23:02 »
WG Hint: kill nasty roots like couch grass or bishop weed before adding (dry off in sun/wind for a week or more ...

have seen that blooming stuff frozen in a -30 c freezer and still come back was on a gardening prog few years back , they burned a pile and buried the rubbish  small sections was looking burned and stil lived .it only needs one leaf joint of a 1/4 inch n it will come back . dump it on the skip tip
still alive /............

WG.

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 23:07 »
That's maybe why I've got so much of it!   :lol:

Seriously tho', drying in the sun kills it off.  I throw it on top of any black polythene mulch nearby.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 02:29 »
If the roots are such a problem, do as Bob Flowerdew does, make a sort of slurry tea out of noxious roots. He keeps the baddies submerged in a small barrel of water for about 2 months, by which time they're mush - let 'em try and come back now!  :tongue2: - and the nutrient rich 'water' is taken off, diluted and used to feed his veg and flowers. I have no shortage of metre long dandelion roots, couch and bindweed  (yes, I measured) I can spare anyone who needs it. Will definitely try this slurry mix on pg 47 of his No Work Garden book.   :D

mixdiver

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 07:32 »
I have a similar problem with couch grass roots - part of my plot has not been cultivated for some years (I have only had this bit for a couple of months) and it is very prolific with weeds - a good sign for the coming season as long as I can dig it all in time (ouch my back!!)
Up till now I have been burning the roots however the "drowning technique" will now also be tried - will need a massive container mind you

MD
Digging away to keep the weight down!

milkman

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 09:25 »
I compost all weeds except roots of couch grass, creeping thistle and any other unidentified creepy root weeds, stinging nettles, bindweed and creeping buttercups which get drownded in my big water butt Bob Flowerdew style.  I just need to sort out a bit of apparatus to ensure the stuff drowns as the creeping buttercups are intent on floating!

My philosophy is the more of everything you can chuck in your compost bin the more compost you can make!  And compost is good.  Mine has that lovely sweet composty smell - almost good enough to eat. Yum.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

freyaluck

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 09:28 »
I also drown all the weeds. their was a big   barrel on my plot when I got it,  chucked the weeds in and left the lid off, now full of nice rich water, did pong a bit though. :shock:
Carlie- The nutty one
Now totally ORGANIC and using permaculture design.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

WG.

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 09:37 »
Sounds like a plan.  Consider me a drowner from now on too.  After all, water is more plentiful than sunshine in my neck of the woods.

muntjac

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 11:29 »
them dandelion roots want drying n making into coffee the leaves wanna be washed n used in salads or converted into rabbit meat mate lolo :lol:

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2007, 19:28 »
But unless the dandelion leaves are blanched from sun for a while, they are super bitter when green. People I know cultivate a small dandelion patch which gets a dark cover put on soon as they pop out (much like endive), and when the leaves are long enough, they have them as salad for a rich spring tonic. Otherwise, yuk!!  :tongue2:  I'm no cow or gelding! The rabbits can have them.

xx
we were told!!

Started by vixen on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 19:37
by Ma and Pa Snip
xx
can anyone agree with what ive been told?

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2007, 15:34
by new_2_veg
xx
Can anybody ID these plants for me? I'm told it's cauliflower or cabbage

Started by zestymordant on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 09, 2012, 16:52
by zestymordant

Page created in 0.66 seconds with 28 queries.