Container growing

• 3 Replies

Shelle

Container growing
« on: February 19, 2007, 19:27 »
Ive decided to let myself in gently and stick to container growing (for 2 reasons - money wise and time wise) for the time being.  Then once I have got the hang of things, I can expand into the garden itself!

Have already planted some garlic cloves (although granted slightly "wrong" time of year!).

Tried to buy stuff at the weekend, but my poundland, Yorkshire Trading, Home Bargains and Wilkinsons hardly had anything in!

Am planning on getting some beetroot - hopefully bolthardy - and some potatoes - hopefully swift for the first earlies.

Can I also grow carrots in a container?  Radishes?

Think I will need to get some more large containers.  Should they be the largest I can find to plant two or more types of veg, or medium size for each veg on their own?

Will also go to a garden centre, perhaps Dobies nearby unless I can find another place cheaper.

Have been trying to find a website dedicated to container growing, but none as good as this one as yet!

davep

Container growing
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 19:32 »
you sound like me last year!i grew spring onions in pots(white lisbon) just to see if i could,they were real easy and i got excellent results.now,one year on i,ve dug myself a fair size plot in the garden and going to get allsorts on the go! beware the veg growing bug... :twisted:

muntjac

containers
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 20:04 »
you can make a stack of bricks up leave holes for 2 litre milk bottles   bricks to hold em upright  punch a few holes in bottom with a hot 6 inch nail and pliers and grow a cabbage in each feed liquid manure leeks can be done as well . bits of piping from road building etc can be utilised  if you get a 10 inch wide piece few feet long make em into 18 inch pots fill with any old compost and sow carots in or beets  lettuce can go in em . any container wil do  i mentioned polystyrene fish boxes from your chippes and wet fish merchants . you can see a plant pot in a lot of things with a bit of imagination  :wink:
still alive /............

Ann

Container growing
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 20:05 »
I grew beetroot in a container a few years ago and had a reasonable crop, didn't do very well with the potatoes though.

xx
container growing

Started by sathya on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 28, 2008, 14:06
by kezlou
xx
Container growing

Started by DIGGER on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 16, 2017, 17:44
by Robster
xx
container growing

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 27, 2010, 14:20
by Yorkie
xx
container growing & seaweed

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 17:02
by goodegg

Page created in 0.672 seconds with 36 queries.