Can anybody ID these plants for me? I'm told it's cauliflower or cabbage

• 9 Replies

zestymordant

Hi,

Somebody in the allotment gave my partner these plants yesterday which I expect I'm going to have to plant really soon given the state they're in (not in any growing medium). However she can't remember if they are cabbage or cauliflower so I'm at a loss as to what to do with them. Can anybody tell me what they are? Thanks.
IMG-20120805-00140.jpg

compostqueen

Deffo a brassica of some sort. PLant them and then you'll find out  :D

Plant them in good old soil and make sure they are firmed in very well as they like hard ground. They dislike getting blown about so like their feet well anchored.  Space them out quite generously as you don't know what they are or what their eventual size could be.  They they need watering in and maybe a feed of some sort.  I use Maxicrop liquid seaweed or manure pellets/powder or good old muck. Even a granular feed such as Phostregen would suffice.  Cover them with mesh to keep off the pigeons etc.  Stand back and wait, knife and fork at the ready. Caulis can take ages so be patient  :)

fatcat1955

Unless you are absolutely certain that there is no clubroot on their plot, i would be very wary of planting them on my plot.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Unless you are absolutely certain that there is no clubroot on their plot, i would be very wary of planting them on my plot.

A very good point!

zestymordant

He's the head honcho at the allotment and, whilst humble enough to admits he's still learning all the time, he has years of experience so I should hope not.

Kleftiwallah

fatcat 1955 has said the truth,  personally I would throw them away (or not accepted them in the first place).

Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Salmo

Do not be put off by these pessimists who tell you not to accept these brassica plants. The whole essence of growing on a plot is swapping plants and surplus produce. The donor appears to be reliable. Ask him if his plot has club root. He will respect you for it.

My bet is that they are cabbage. Cabbage have rounded leaves that are usually dark and quite fleshy. Caulis have elongated leaves that tend to be lighter and thinner in colour.

Sprouts

Cabbage without a doubt

fatcat1955

He's the head honcho at the allotment and, whilst humble enough to admits he's still learning all the time, he has years of experience so I should hope not.

Head honcho on my site say's he can't grow spud's cos his plot has blight!  Take from that what you will. As regards to being a pessimist, how much are a packet of seed's? Bought a packet today. £1.49 cabbage offenheim 2. There is guaranteed no clubroot in them. I know what route i will go down, greeting's from a clubroot free plot :)

edited to fix quote
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 21:56 by Yorkie »

zestymordant

Well I planted them out today anyway. Having been exposed to the elements in no growing medium  for a few days they were quite withered so I don't fancy their chances but thanks everyone for the advice.

xx
Storing Cabbage and cauliflower. How to?

Started by ravenaround on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 03, 2009, 14:57
by sunshineband
xx
Germinating Cabbage and Cauliflower

Started by Dai on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 27, 2013, 16:52
by Dai
xx
Something has eaten cabbage and cauliflower

Started by Paul Rhodes on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 13, 2009, 18:32
by chris.selvey
xx
How do I tell the difference between sprout plants from cabbage plants

Started by sushi on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 10, 2012, 20:47
by sushi

Page created in 0.781 seconds with 38 queries.