Neglected herbs start to grow

• 4 Replies

Beetroot queen

« on: September 07, 2008, 19:38 »
I have been growing herbs in pots for ten years (in the same pots may I add)

I never bother to use them  :roll: always use dried LOL I know shoot me now. :shock:

I just left them there knowing one day they would die and then I wouldnt bother to replace them, they never did much and apart from rain I dont worry about watering them.

TBH the reason I started with them is so it looked like I was a good cook. :oops:

Anyway the last 2 weeks the herbs have taken off and now look in prime health, is it the herb fairy coming along to spit me or are we having good weather for herb.

I am now thinking i should take more care of them seen as they have survived this long with no love. BUT I bet if I start to take care of them they will die  :roll:

pumpkin-queen

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 21:35 »
My view is if it ain't broke don't fix it! What herbs you got Beetroot Queen? I fancy myself as a herb expert, utilising their every quality for culinary, medicinal & home keeping purposes, but the truth is I'm rubbish at them. My Oregano looks ok though!

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 21:55 »
Ummm they used to have labels but now they dont, and ten years is a long time to remember lol

I do know chives  :D
and rosemary :D
could be a curry plant, the cat likes to eat this one, sage I think
Thyme which has never done anything until now  :oops:

and and I dont know the others, I have an awful feeling one maybe a weed in the end pot  :lol:

pumpkin-queen

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 22:01 »
A weed is just a plant growing in the wrong place, doesn't mean you can't eat it! On a more serious note, rosemary is one of the best herbs ever invented. I love to roast my tatties in it with some garlic. And  it has to be one of the most relaxing and comforting smells around. Alot of herbs like very well drained soil so surprising they've come to life during one of more soggier spells!

Beetroot queen

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 22:05 »
Quote from: "pumpkin-queen"
A weed is just a plant growing in the wrong place, doesn't mean you can't eat it! On a more serious note, rosemary is one of the best herbs ever invented. I love to roast my tatties in it with some garlic. And  it has to be one of the most relaxing and comforting smells around. Alot of herbs like very well drained soil so surprising they've come to life during one of more soggier spells!

I think even a cactus would struggle to grow seen as they spend whole summers unwatered. LOL I did do roast pots today with dried thyme  :roll: never thought of fresh  :oops:

xx
What Herbs do you like to grow?

Started by Sheena on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 07:17
by Bagpuss
xx
best herbs to grow with your veggies

Started by tali on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 16, 2008, 23:33
by Trillium
xx
Best place to grow herbs?

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 07, 2013, 18:28
by New shoot
xx
What to grow? Where to start?

Started by indiansummer on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 02, 2010, 17:47
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.516 seconds with 27 queries.