What to grow? Where to start?

• 6 Replies

indiansummer

What to grow? Where to start?
« on: September 02, 2010, 13:18 »
Hello everybody!
I hope you can help me. I have just joined this forum because I have been finally offered an allotment and although I'm very excited I have no idea where to start. The person who had the plot before me didn't do a lot with it. There are still signs of lettuce and a few courgettes left but other than that it's blank canvass... So, what do I do? Is there something I can still plant in September or do I concentrate for preparing the soil for winter? I have two young kids so the plan is to eventually grow a lot of vegetables, some fruit... What would you recommend as a starting point? I'd appreciate any advice, please!
Many thanks in advance, Mon x

GreenOwl

Re: What to grow? Where to start?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 14:45 »
Welcome.

There isn't that much you can plant now, we are coming to the end of the season.  You could grow salad leaves, spinach etc or a quick-growing variety of green beans. 

Fruit bushes are best planted in the Autumn so its a good time to think about how many and where you want those to go, prepare the ground and plant.

I would recommend you plan, plan, plan.  Get yourself a book like D.G. Hessayon's Expert book on veg growing or John's Veg growing month by month (see link below) and work out what veg you want to grow.  No point growing stuff you family won't eat!

http://www.allotment-garden.org/book/index.php

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 14:54 »
Don't forget your winter onions & garlic!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 15:08 »
for a start it would be ideal to get the soil tested to see what its condition. one of ways i recently learnt to test this is to take fist of soil about 5 inches down and make a ball with it in your fist. give it a poke and see how easily it crumbles. if it takes a lot of pressure then need to work the soil as it might be clayish so need sand, manure and cheap compost. if it breaks easily then its ideal so get some manure and dig it in and leave it over autumn and winter.

if the soil is still clay like then the best you could grow i think are non-root veggies. if the soil is nice and soft then grow whatever your heart desires.   8)

indiansummer

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 16:10 »
Thank you so much, great advice! I've just ordered a couple of J. Harrison's books and one by D.G. Hessayon :)

GreenOwl

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 17:01 »
Don't forget your winter onions & garlic!

AAAGH.  How could I forget!  Especially as I'm planting my own overwintering onions this month!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 17:47 »
There's also loads of info on clearing / planning a plot, and monthly guides on the main website too

http://www.allotment-garden.org/growing_information.php
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Neglected herbs start to grow

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 07, 2008, 22:05
by Beetroot queen
xx
Hi I am a complete beginner, what can I start to grow now?

Started by pinkfairy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 15, 2008, 09:53
by compostqueen
xx
Beans between wet carpet to see which ones start to grow.

Started by leeky on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 28, 2007, 20:28
by Aidy
xx
Planning to get a grow light to start tomatoes, peppers and aubergines.

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 29, 2016, 19:06
by SusieB

Page created in 0.609 seconds with 37 queries.