What Herbs do you like to grow?

• 44 Replies

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2007, 07:25 »
I bought some Lovage seeds but only one has germinated and I am nurturing it on the kitchen windowsill. I might keep it in a pot as it is the only one, but as they grow to about six foot it may not like it.  Is anyone else growing any?

Also does anyone know how often you should water Aloe Vera cuttings? I dried them out as per instructions on the internet, but they went a bit brownish but now appear to be going green and I don't want to loose them by watering incorrectly.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

WG.

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2007, 07:40 »
Lovage is very deep rooted (and very hardy).  Plant into permanent position soon.  Also use Search facility to find lovage recipes and suggested planting position (North end of plot)

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2007, 09:23 »
At the moment we have just started with rosemary,mint,dill,basil and sage. :D

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
Re: What Herbs do you like to grow?
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2007, 12:46 »
Quote from: "Jim T"
:shock: Shocked nobody mentioned ROCKET. Germinates in a few days, grows like a rocket and tastes delicious - flowers and all. :D

I've some rocket seeds and other herbs I'd like to grow. Can I grow them under a plum tree? It's quite shady, but the only space I have for now.
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

WG.

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2007, 12:52 »
Hi

Most herbs will appreciate a sunnier spot.  Rocket should cope with part-shade as will chives, sorrel and especially hamburg parsley.

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2007, 21:31 »
Quote from: "Bagpuss"
Also does anyone know how often you should water Aloe Vera cuttings? I dried them out as per instructions on the internet, but they went a bit brownish but now appear to be going green and I don't want to loose them by watering incorrectly.

I have lots of little Aloe Vera plants taken from a large plant, all growing nicely, I find that it best not to water too much but not let soil dry out completely, I am treating them like succulants, hope this helps.

I have nt got mine outside yet  . Have you? I did put some outside last year , they survived , I brought them into the conservatory during the colder months.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

jacnal

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2007, 23:53 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Hi

Most herbs will appreciate a sunnier spot.  Rocket should cope with part-shade as will chives, sorrel and especially hamburg parsley.

Hi again WG!

I really want [need] to plant some herbs. Will probably clear out the non flowering flowers for my herb bed. Perhaps give them away on freecycle.......... Hate to waste them. Should find out what they are called first though  :oops:

WG.

« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2007, 00:00 »
Quote from: "jacnal"
Will probably clear out the non flowering flowers for my herb bed. Perhaps give them away on freecycle.......... Hate to waste them. Should find out what they are called first though  :oops:
Free to good home. Big plant with green bits on top.  Also, small plant also green on top but probably not related despite similar colouring.  Buyer collects (... and while you've got the spade out, would you mind clearing that bit over there too - there's a Dear).

jacnal

« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2007, 00:35 »
Quote from: "jacnal"
Will probably clear out the non flowering flowers for my herb bed. Perhaps give them away on freecycle.......... Hate to waste them. Should find out what they are called first though  :oops:
Free to good home. Big plant with green bits on top.  Also, small plant also green on top but probably not related despite similar colouring.  Buyer collects (... and while you've got the spade out, would you mind clearing that bit over there too - there's a Dear).

Tee hee, you're funny.

Great offer post, thanks lol. I'll take pictures and post. I'm sure someone here knows.

Goodnight WG.

Beanzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2007, 01:16 »
Rosemary, Rocket. Parsley, Chives, Marjarum, Corriander, Lemon Corriander and Basil.
Ah well ! There is always next year !

spinny

• http://www.perennialveg.org.uk
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2007, 19:36 »
Quote from: "little sweetpeas"
splodger, do all the herbs you grow like the same soil.

I want to increase my heb collection and will be doing this at home rather than the plot but my soil is very heavy. I'm having some rotted manure delivered to the plot on Thursday and was going to bring some home. Is this going to be too rich?

A lot of the herbs we use have mediterranean origins and tend to tolerate poor soil.  I wouldn't add anything to yours but I would choose a sunny spot for them (bearing in mind the mediterranean origins).

Spinny

WG.

« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2007, 19:57 »
Herbs which like rich feeding include parsley, mint, lemon balm, chives and coriander

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2007, 20:22 »
to answer your question - sorrel is easy from seed but is related to dock and self seeds everywhere so be careful. Also strong taste so you won't want much. Winter and summer savory are shrubby so grow like you would rosemary, and they are both lovely cooked with beans.  I grow lots of herbs but my favourite is common thyme, and lemon verbena which I use dried in amongst my clothes drawers.

Annie

« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2007, 20:45 »
Herbs which like rich feeding include parsley, mint, lemon balm, chives and coriander

I find lemon balm grows anywere and everywere,mint ditto and when we dug some roses out we had a lot of chives,some were put in very inhospitable ground and still grew well.In good soil I find chives need dividing every year.When i head down to the herb bed at the moment the main scent is in your face curry as my curry plant is about to flower!

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2007, 07:17 »
quote]

I have lots of little Aloe Vera plants taken from a large plant, all growing nicely, I find that it best not to water too much but not let soil dry out completely, I am treating them like succulants, hope this helps.

I have nt got mine outside yet  . Have you? I did put some outside last year , they survived , I brought them into the conservatory during the colder months.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice Corncolly, I may have been keeping them a bit too dry.  Still some are getting greener now.  Only the parent plant is outside, the cuttings are on the windowsill.

xx
Best place to grow herbs?

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 07, 2013, 18:28
by New shoot
xx
best herbs to grow with your veggies

Started by tali on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 16, 2008, 23:33
by Trillium
xx
Neglected herbs start to grow

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 07, 2008, 22:05
by Beetroot queen
xx
herbs

Started by lucywil on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 21, 2006, 13:50
by lucywil

Page created in 0.452 seconds with 28 queries.