bl**dy thieving swines

• 26 Replies

Mrs SpudtheBinx

• http://daveandbecca.co.uk/wordpress/
bl**dy thieving swines
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2008, 12:52 »
Quote from: "SpudtheBinx"
MrsSpudtheBinx saw another plotholder removing things from our neighbors plot yesterday. Tbh we don't know if he already had permission but we will ask the neighbor when we see him next. I hope it was ok as the idea of plotholders being thieves gets my goat more that if it was the local chavs.

Yes, I saw him in our neighbours greenhouse taking pots, I really hope we find he did have permission as the idea of a fellow allotmenter taking without asking from another makes me very sad.

welsh boyo I'm so very sorry this has happened to you, that is awful :(
Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it!

welsh boyo

• Experienced Member
bl**dy thieving swines
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 14:32 »
Thanks to all for you replies.
it seems this type of theft is pretty widespread nowadays. :cry:

but tbh as for lotte theft our local town council has to take a lot of the blame. the sercurity is a joke .
we have a lovely 8ft+ high palacade fence all around the lotties but access is though a standard 5 bar gate with no lock.the gate is constantly being left open by other plot holders and even when its shut a 5 year old would be able to climb it no problem.
apparantly they tried a lock before but polt holders were losing the key and cutting the lock of with bolt croppers to gain access.
(guess they never heard of a combanation lock then ????????)

we have two members that are suppposed to speak with the council on our behalf but imo they only do things when it suits there purpose.
theres no meetings that we (i mean us poor plotholders ever hear of) allthough the selceted two call a meeting when they feel like.) ie last wek when they decided it was time to get  a skip for the purpose of everyone removing there rubbish,
the only pepole that knew about it was the HOLY TWO and a few of their mates. surprise surprise. it was deliverd and filled in the same morning.

theres an huge building on our plot which i gather was to be used for meetings,selling of seeds etc etc but in the two years thats ive been there its never even been opened.
toilets there`s a laugh.. apparantly there used to be access to a loo but it was smashed by one of the appointed members cos he was fed up of constantly having to unlock/lock the door.
so now if my wife/daughters come down the plot and need to spend a penny we have to get in the car and drive two miles to the local tesco`s.

It is a case of not what you know but who you know on our plots ,
to me it stinks and is borderline discrimination.
Sanity is just a playground for the un-imaginative

Only once the last tree has died, the last river poisoned and the last fish eaten will we realise that you cant eat money

welsh boyo

• Experienced Member
bl**dy thieving swines
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2008, 14:48 »
Quote from: "SpudtheBinx"
MrsSpudtheBinx saw another plotholder removing things from our neighbors plot yesterday. Tbh we don't know if he already had permission but we will ask the neighbor when we see him next. I hope it was ok as the idea of plotholders being thieves gets my goat more that if it was the local chavs.

i know what you mean ive had my plot for just under two yrs.
in the first cpl of weeks i had it i was clearing the ground/digging (as you do) when i noticed a bloke walking about and going on to a few plots and removing panes of glass andtaking them to his plot
when he got down to my plot he said hello and informed me he was looking for glass to make a cold frame.
I said that surely taking glass form other plots was THEFT and i would be unimpressed if anybody took stuff of my plot without permission.
His reply was "OH YOUR GOING TO BE ONE OF THOSE ARE YOU"
and walked back to his plot.
Since then a few people have told me that the bloke is well known for having anything that isnt nailed down, but nobody does anything about it.????
ive also seen him taking fruit of his neighbours plot whilst tending his own, but apparantly if its your word against his then the council aint intrested.

fletch

• Experienced Member
bl**dy thieving swines
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 16:17 »
Sorry to hear that Welsh boyo, I would be well peed off  :evil:

Does everybody really think that people are stealing food because they have no money? I'd be more inclined to think it was kids getting bored. I noticed a few kids hangng around the garages near my allotment this weekend and that is the first time I have ever seen kids round here.

Either way it must be gutting to have gone to all that trouble and have it nicked and more gutting to have your sweetcorn flattened.

Very sad.
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

GreenOwl

bl**dy thieving swines
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 17:01 »
Quote from: "welsh boyo"
i know what you mean ive had my plot for just under two yrs.
in the first cpl of weeks i had it i was clearing the ground/digging (as you do) when i noticed a bloke walking about and going on to a few plots and removing panes of glass andtaking them to his plot
when he got down to my plot he said hello and informed me he was looking for glass to make a cold frame.
I said that surely taking glass form other plots was THEFT and i would be unimpressed if anybody took stuff of my plot without permission.
His reply was "OH YOUR GOING TO BE ONE OF THOSE ARE YOU"
and walked back to his plot.
Since then a few people have told me that the bloke is well known for having anything that isnt nailed down, but nobody does anything about it.????
ive also seen him taking fruit of his neighbours plot whilst tending his own, but apparantly if its your word against his then the council aint intrested.

Is it subversive to suggest that any non-compostable rubbish you have (that you don't want) should be dumped on his plot "to save him the walk"?  :wink:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
bl**dy thieving swines
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2008, 18:49 »
WB, so sorry to hear about all the problems you have on your site.  How awful for you.

Firstly, re. that plotholder who takes stuff - I'd simply report him to the police.  If you can also encourage others to do so, I suspect a quiet word by your local community neighbourhood team might do the trick.

Also, if crimes get reported regularly (irrespective of the general likelihood of the crime being solved), it appears on the policing statistics and the bobbies have to come up with a plan to tackle it.  Our local team has a designated PCSO who is really keen to reduce allotment crime, it's one of her special areas of responsibility.  The regular reporting of crime has helped to secure this.

Re your unholy two, depending on how strongly you and others feel about them, you could try stirring things up a little.  If they are purporting to be association committee members or site reps, how did they come to be in that position?  If elected, where is the constitution for such elections?  If no constitution, there should be one - so that you can call for a special meeting of an association in order to make a vote of no confidence etc.

You could also speak to the council officer to ask for the background and to make a complaint - if they were appointed by the council, there will be an avenue you can pursue there too should you wish to do so.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

johnhar

bl**dy thieving swines
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2008, 20:18 »
the stealing from plots has always been a problem. i was secretary of a allotment site at one time in the 1960s and we had just the same police response then. i have noticed that it is always worse holiday times and when money is tight.we used to patrol the site late at night on fri & sat nights & also let the local pub know what was happening. then we had a local bobby take a plot & it all stopped, never found out why :?: just one tip that i use to do was to go round the path with jeyes fluid & put a sign up that the crops had justbeen sprayed, it seemed to work for me :)
john

hammers07

bl**dy thieving swines
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 21:27 »
Knoblauch

my plot is in oak park road off brettell lane

i have a good idea who it might be as others have had tools stolen as well

no point in telling police. Im just looking on the bright side , the crop was good and taste lovely. Luckily ive got some king edwards at the bottom of my plot that are ready. I've dug up all my white onions so the theiving b's cant get them. They are drying out at the moment.

Ive had an excellent crop of peas and mangetout and green beans are coming along nicely.

Just had first sweetcorn tonight it was delicious. only planted four plants wish i had bought more.

How have you got on ?
A slug is for life not just for the allotment

Knoblauch

bl**dy thieving swines
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 22:53 »
Hi hammers

I see where you are, must take a look next time I go up Brettell Lane, as a newbie I'm interested to see what other people are doing.  I don't have a plot, this year I finally got my garden organised enough to plant some veg, it's about 1/3 of an allotment plot in total with more growing space on the patios.  Having started in mid-May I have broad beans and courgettes cropping - the beans are a bit iffy, no more blackfly but not looking too good and are only producing low down, hopefully the crop will spread through the whole plant.  I've onions, beetroot, cabbage, kolh-rabi, carrots, peas and turnips coming on OK but still a way to go yet, and have lettuce, rocket, radishes, nasturtiums I can use now for salads.  Spring onions are almost too slow to bother with, the weeds grow faster, and radishes have been quite small and wizened mostly.  Getting stuff in for winter now but a lot of seeds haven't germinated, now resown inside as I reckon something's eating them though I've hardly had any land molluscs so far.

Glad you got a good crop anyway.  As someone pointed out the police will fob you off if they can but have to follow procedures, if enough people start upping the crime figures that'll make them do something.  Oh and I once saw someone snipping through the bird cages in Mary Stevens park at night, phoned the police and they were nabbed, perhaps if someone camps out every night until he comes back ... ?

woodburner

bl**dy thieving swines
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 13:10 »
Quote from: "fletch"
Does everybody really think that people are stealing food because they have no money? I'd be more inclined to think it was kids getting bored. I noticed a few kids hangng around the garages near my allotment this weekend and that is the first time I have ever seen kids round here.

What would kids do with half a row of onions and a bunch of carrots? Maybe Mum's given them a 'shopping list" Chances are that it's not from lack of money so much as unwillingness to part with what they have for such boring stuff when they could spend it on pizzas and videogames (or worse), and get the veg for free. :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Veggies are being stolen from my lottie site again after a break of many years. (Probably due to the fact that they were unoccupied for a while.) I have a contingency plan of growing green manure and grain for the chooks there, as I am lucky enough to have space at home for a fair bit of veg as well as the chooks.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

upert

• Experienced Member
bl**dy thieving swines
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2008, 20:54 »
two 'people' on my allotment site actually stole part of my allotment; not my fruit nor veg but about a one and a half foot strip all the way along my plot. i don't know how many hundreds of square feet that would make but a lot.

they didn't like that i had a larger plot, they aren't measured very well admittedly, but that's the size plot i was given and that's the size it's always been. i'd even weeded the damn thing before a length of string appeared.

also, they've lately had the gall to complain about the state of the top of my plot likening it to a building site (i have 3 pallets stored there for future projects) whereas half of theirs is weeds and the other half is bare. they've grown nothing in the time i've cultivated and used a full plot. i've had stacks of veg off mine and they haven't had a single bean off theirs.

dugless

bl**dy thieving swines
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2008, 00:53 »
This sort of thing is not new, 25years ago I had stuff pinched off an allotment that was supposed to be secure, and as most allotments are not guarded its too easy for the gitts, and not much you gan do even if you catch them.
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

xx
Thieving B******ds

Started by washsaint on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post May 25, 2009, 14:19
by sunshineband
xx
Who's thieving my leeks?

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 27, 2015, 09:41
by madcat
xx
frost again grrr thieving beggars :x

Started by kezlou on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 24, 2008, 21:55
by kezlou

Page created in 0.49 seconds with 28 queries.