What I have learnt so far in my second year

• 18 Replies

LadyPlod

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 10:30 »
Wise words about the courgette plants......... I have 10 plants for a family of 4!! Starting to eat the flowers before the courgettes form now! (Nice battered, even nicer stuffed first and then battered!)

I have also learned that pumpkin and squash plants take up much more room than I think, that carrots need protecting from nasty carrot flies, that my peas might do better grown in a line instead of round a wigwam, that any spare space (what's that?!) should be filled with more onions, that sprout plants grow tall, that pigeons are enemies not to be underestimated.... ooh the list is endless!

Most of all I have learned that having a lottie has been one of the most wonderful things we have done as a family, though really it's mine, all mine! It's a fantastic stress buster and should be on prescription!

titch

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 10:44 »
i have learned - keeping my cats of my raised beds requires a high powered water gun, not a piddling pistol

not to plant 50 cauliflower seeds 'in case they dont all come up' - they all did and now have  a rather large brassica bed (but they may not come to anything yet)

that cabbage white butterflies can get through garden netting (must buy some mesh)

i am slowely getting used to finding worms in the soil and not running into the house screaming when i do (have massive worm phobia)

that trying to be organic involves murder by my own hand (sorry aformentioned butterflies)

but perhaps the most important of all - i absolutely love my garden now, so does my oh, and the pleasure it brings is immense.
just keep breathing................

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 13:23 »
I have learned so much over the last year or so... shame I forget the new found knowledge when I need it... i.e. how to stake up peas properly and for gods sake, SPACE THINGS OUT!!! i.e. my lettuce, so it doesn't rot!! Oh and stop having a greenhouse that is BUSTING to the rafters so nothing grows properly... like I have right now!!

*edit* and stop growing so many courgette plants. I lose count of how many I have actually planted but today I went down and counted I actually have FOURTEEN plants of SE7EN types.. collected my 2nd carrier bag full since Sat today... and still no sign of my pattypan, well except 2 tiny fruit, 1 on each plant...

Anyone one for some courgettes???  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

gardgydja

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2008, 13:34 »
I am on my first year, and so far I have learned...

* Rabbits eat chamomile (who would have thought??)
* Rabbits eat everything, except weeds
* Fresh broad beans are actually not very nice
* Peas will not grow the way I've done it this year. Next year I will do as my neighbour does as he had a bumper crop
* Pumpkins love me and my ways, aparently. They are off to a roaring start. Not that I'm counting them before they hatch.
* Haricots verts are easy to grow and crop like mad, I will never buy any in the shop again if I can help it!
* Alpine strawberries are a waste of space
* Allotment life is indeed the good life

Never going back now!!

xx
Lessons learnt

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 19:40
by Goldfinger
xx
Lesson learnt about nature

Started by lfcevans on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 31, 2012, 19:07
by Yorkie
sad
Lesson Learnt but is there hope

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 19:36
by Missy1970
xx
Learnt my lesson! Bought my onions too early!!

Started by PennyS on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 13, 2010, 18:04
by zazen999

Page created in 0.529 seconds with 36 queries.