Lesson Learnt but is there hope

• 6 Replies

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
Lesson Learnt but is there hope
« on: July 07, 2010, 12:27 »
Hi All

In my inexperience (my excuse and I'm sticking to it) looks like I've made a huge mistake with my shallots, I lifted them today as I thought they'd sufficiently gone over but after, I noticed some were still a little green, neighbours were very kind had a chuckle and pointed out I'd lifted them too early shook their heads a little more when they saw I'd cut the tops off so lesson learnt for next year.

Question is though can I still use them this year I had wanted to pickle them, they told me to leave them drying and see how they go - just hope they are not all lost

I am very impressed with my red onions though they are currently stinking out my shed

Missy

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
Re: Lesson Learnt but is there hope
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 12:41 »
Hi missy, I don`t know if there will be anyway of saving the shallots, I am sure if there is a way someone on here will be along soon to tell you.  Being my first year my lesson to be learnt is not to plant too much of the same thing at any one time, I planted about 50 little Gem lettuce all at once and have not been able to eat them quick enough now they are all going to seed.  Will stagger things over a period of time next year.

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 12:56 »
I would just dry em out and see what happens heh.

I dont expect it will be a total washout
I hate signatures but love irony

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 14:35 »
my shallots have all keeled over now and are very small this year. Thinking of pickling them. Not a very good year for the onion family, I think
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 14:44 »
The foliage on mine has died back but the shallots are not even spring onion size! Onions are pretty feeble too.
Fed up with waiting so pulling them up and planting brassicas.
My garlic on the other hand, in the same bed, has done really well and I pulled 20 big bulbs this morning!

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 16:14 »
One thing about curing onions is to always leave the leaves on until they're brown and the onion skin is papery, then you know it's properly cured. But if you're pickling them, you can skin them now and do the pickling as there's really no need to cure them since they won't be in storage.  Hopefully the red onions in the shed still have their leaves but if they're really stinking I suspect you've cut them off and the 'juices' haven't had time to dry out properly. I'd keep a regular eye on these in storage. 

Missy1970

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 19:36 »
Thanks everyone its a case of watch this space :lol:

Hi Trillium - I left the leaves on the red onions for some reason glad I did now I wish I could up loads pictures they are a pretty impressive size pretty strong tasting though.

As for my shallots they are pretty big also to be honest couldnt pickle some of them would only get 1 or 2 in the jar my neighbour though they were onions until I told her they were shallots hopefully they will keep for cooking

I'm sure this will not be my only mistake but hey ho they were only from the £1 shop so not an expensive mistake

Missy

xx
Lesson learnt about nature

Started by lfcevans on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 31, 2012, 19:07
by Yorkie
xx
Learnt my lesson! Bought my onions too early!!

Started by PennyS on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 13, 2010, 18:04
by zazen999
xx
Lessons learnt

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 19:40
by Goldfinger
xx
What I have learnt so far in my second year

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 30, 2008, 13:34
by gardgydja

Page created in 0.437 seconds with 31 queries.