Lesson learnt about nature

• 7 Replies

lfcevans

• Experienced Member
Lesson learnt about nature
« on: August 30, 2012, 12:54 »
I have learnt my lesson about not having a fruit cage.

I thought that I wouldnt mind sharing the odd bit of fruit with the bird and squirrel population around here, but didnt realise how greedy they are and how many there was

Not much return on my abundant crop of fruit this year. We,ve had very few strawberries after the blackbirds and my dog took bites out of them as they ripened before I could pick them. Same goes for my Gooseberries.....all gone apart from the four I could get to before i realised that birds like sour fruit.
 Birds had all my blackcurrants, half my raspberries and three quarters of my blackberries.
 I've have enjoyed the juicy flavour of half a dozen blueberries though....but its a bad return from 4 bushes.
There is even slug/snail bites out of my apricots and plums

I will be prepared for next year

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Lesson learnt about nature
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 12:57 »
We learn something new every day don't we?

But you will be well armed for next year!!!!   ;)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 13:52 »
We even ended up netting one lot of rainbow chard this year - we have it planted in a few parts of the garden - as the sparrows were just feasting on it and even ignoring the bird food put out for them!  ::)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Willow_Warren

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 14:19 »
Yeah my mum has some strawberry plants, the squirrels helped themselves to the fruit, sat on the garden chair and left the green bits on the arms!  My mum was most distrubed by their attitude...  not only did they take the fruit without asking, but sat on her chair and she had to clear up after them!

:lol:

allotmentann

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 14:56 »
Yeah my mum has some strawberry plants, the squirrels helped themselves to the fruit, sat on the garden chair and left the green bits on the arms!  My mum was most distrubed by their attitude...  not only did they take the fruit without asking, but sat on her chair and she had to clear up after them!

:lol:

:lol: :lol: Oh! Hannah, that really is a bit much!
I too have learned the netting lesson. The birds ate all but two gooseberries off three new (but loaded) bushes! And the pigeonsstripped the sweetcorn :(

yorkiegal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 21:14 »
I thought my netting would do the trick but apparantly the gaps in it are too large. Hence the caterpillars crawling all over my remaining cabbage today. They have completely destroyed my lettuces, but they were just chucked in under my peas as a gap filler with no netting so I'm not too fussed about that.

My plot neighbour has a very sturdy fruit cage, yet everytime I look over I can see a blackbird in it.

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 01:14 »
My oldest son has just come over for the long weekend and our job is to build our massive fruit cage. I've had enough of thieving birds and rabbits. But first we must spray the big hornet nest in the red currant area  :D Last thing I want to do is net in those pests, so tonight we'll be out with flashlights and spray.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 19:07 »
We sell green scaffolding netting in our lotty shop - it's one of our best sellers!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

sad
Lesson Learnt but is there hope

Started by Missy1970 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 19:36
by Missy1970
xx
Learnt my lesson! Bought my onions too early!!

Started by PennyS on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 13, 2010, 18:04
by zazen999
xx
What I have learnt so far in my second year

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 30, 2008, 13:34
by gardgydja
xx
Lessons learnt

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post February 19, 2012, 19:40
by Goldfinger

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 30 queries.