WHAT PLANTS HAVE I PLANTED THIS YEAR I KNOW THEY'RE VEG

• 19 Replies

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 00:43 »
Aubergine,  simply posting in legible English is considered to be good manners and posting in capitals is shouting so don't ignore what others see as acceptable behaviours.  It's not Internet policing, it's common courtesy to make sure that what you are saying isn't misinterpreted as something else... simply reading someone's typed post can be read in so many ways so that having some type of protocol is generally accepted as a way of understanding whether the person is adding emphasis to a piece of text or ranting to the whole world in general :twisted:

Grannie, I remember being told that writing in red pen was the ultimate in poor etiquette as it meant you were being insincere or something!

BTW, welcome to the forums Missi,  I'm sure you'll be happy here  :D  If you can post some pics of your veg I'm confident that the folks here can ID them for you  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 06:34 »
Thanks for that Suzi - yes there's a word of difference between policing & protocols.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

sclarke624

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 11:00 »
Also, it would be appreciated if you don't post in capital letters as it's considered poor net etiquette, (I'm sure this was not intended), and it's very difficult to read!

I don't know how anyone could interpret that as Internet policing, simply a polite nudge in the accepted direction from one of the Moderators of the forum. :roll:

Welcome missi.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 11:57 »
We know we get quite a few inexperienced internet users on here - unlike the techy sites - so just pointing out the way things are done is hopefully useful to others as well

If you want to be really sad, you can look up how people read and specifically how they read web pages. Apparently all capitals, or lower case takes nearly twice as long to read according to studies.

Also, underlining text is confusing as it implies a link where none exists. There's a great book for web designers by Jakob Nielsen called Designing Web Usabilty that is full of gems like that.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

woodburner

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 22:29 »
I have firefox and am long sighted. I am always using Ctrl + keys  8) It's really good for the internet novice as it stops many adverts and pop-ups (unwanted windows opening). It's good at finding websites when you only put in part of the address and it remembers web addresses that you have already visited, and shows them in a drop down list when you start typing the address. I highly recommend it.  8)
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

xx
I have just planted my newly arrived strawberry plants......

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 18, 2009, 22:16
by chili
xx
Spring cabbage planted last year...

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2013, 20:22
by Goldfinger
xx
first plants in for the year

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 09:39
by compostqueen
xx
Unusual Plants this year?

Started by Cheshire Phill on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 18, 2010, 13:50
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.715 seconds with 36 queries.