Unusual Plants this year?

• 19 Replies

madcat

Re: Unusual Plants this year?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 18:39 »
Silver chard is a doodle and gives you a lot of good leaves - I found it didn't run to seed as easily as the rainbow chard.  Mine went on and on and on until the snow  :( and that was the end of that.  Will be planting more of it.  Try in a frittera (sp?) with left over potatoes - absolutely excellent lunch.

nasturtiums are good in salads, but a little does go a long way.  They are very peppery. 

My experiments this year are sorrell, sugar snap peas and a lucky dip pack of winter squashes.  ???
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 19:52 »
 I'm putting in sugar snaps too. Wasn't going to bother because of pigeons,  >:( but I'll probably have to put a deterrant for the puppy so will try to keep woody out as well. :dry:

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2010, 19:56 »
I've grown asparagus peas before but I wont bother again!! Not a very good crop, and the ones we picked were very tough. This year I am trying lemongrass, sweet potato, jim jams (gourds, purely decorative) ginger and Maro a mushy pea.

viettaclark

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2010, 22:53 »
I'm going to attempt a white cucumber and mangetout.......when T&M decide to send me my seeds.......
Asparagus peas.....rubbish....tiny peas that taste of tin.with the texture of sacking!
Sugarsnap....fantastic....I can taste them now....... :tongue2:

diggerjoe

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 13:50 »
Torreya - the Policeman's or should that be 'mens' boots were from Wallis Seeds.  I mentioned them to someone at Ryton Organic Gardens at the potato day when I was looking at some heritage beans seeds and he had never heard of them they are described as 'black seeded with red and white bi-coloured flowers, beans excellent when eaten young' priced at £2.30 for 25 seeds or £4 for 50 seeds. They have a good choice of peas as well. OH has already picked up the packet and done his Dixon of Dock Green impression ::) I cant wait to give them a go.

xx
Growing unusual plants

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 22, 2016, 21:02
by Trikidiki
xx
'Unusual' squash plants

Started by senrab_nhoj on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 07, 2008, 16:01
by compostqueen
xx
first plants in for the year

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 09:39
by compostqueen
xx
WHAT PLANTS HAVE I PLANTED THIS YEAR I KNOW THEY'RE VEG

Started by missi on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post July 13, 2008, 22:29
by woodburner

Page created in 0.552 seconds with 32 queries.