Unusual Plants this year?

• 19 Replies

Cheshire Phill

• Experienced Member
Unusual Plants this year?
« on: March 16, 2010, 13:42 »

Anyone using space for anying unusual this year?

New for me will be kohl rabi, florence fennel, celeriac, salsify, scorzonera and hamburg parsley..just couldn't resist.

Won't take up much space, will try half a row of each, and see what happens..most were only a few pence per packet too.

What are you giving space to as a new veg (for you) this year?

Phill  :) :) :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Unusual Plants this year?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 13:46 »
I suppose it's not unusual (I feel a song coming on there :lol: ) but I'm tryiing silver chard to replace spinach which I've had no luck with.
It's supposed to be easier, so I'm hoping for the best :)

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 13:49 »
Well, everything is still a bit new and unusual to me, as its only my second year, but I too will trying salsify and scorzonera, and I think I'll do some Asparagus Peas in a tub too.

diggerjoe

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 14:21 »
Well for daft names for things Im growing new this year it has to be 'Hungarian Finger Fruit' they are like the small patty pan squashes but white with pairs of 'fingers sticking out at intervals round the edge. Can't wait to see them and apparently they taste good as well. I bought the seeds from Plant World in Devon. Trying a a couple of different varieties of things this year including runner bean 'policemens boots' ok I agree the dafter the name the more likley I am to try growing it  :D :D

nobby

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 15:18 »
hopefully this year my hardy yams will be redy but I wont be growing yacon agane [wast of time and space]

prakash_mib

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 16:45 »
me all unusual
Asian Amaranth varieties,
Snake gourd
bitter gourd
Hyacinth beans
guar beans
black eyed peas (to harvest when plant is a foot tall for green leaves vegetable)
garden huckleberry

Trying to avoid aubs (second lot lost too), okra (difficult to grow in our climate)

One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Elcie

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 21:23 »
I like to try to grow things that I can't easily get hold of in the supermarkets.  Last year it was yellow and brown tomatoes and this year it is round courgettes and tomatillo.

Trikidiki

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 21:29 »
Oca for me this year.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 15:49 »
Hmmmmmm,usually try either an unusual that you don't see in the shops, or an unusual variety. Last year I did striped aubergines(small) and had a really good crop,especially outside where the bees could get to them easier, but they were bitter and tough. OK in ratatouille though. I also planted some salsify, which I like, but unfirtunately it looked like grass when it came up and OH "weeded" it out! :dry:

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 15:54 »
I'm trying asparagus peas as well this year, cherry tom sized Parmex carrots and rainbow chard. Have also planted nasturtiums to eat as well. Have yellow patty pan squash to put in next month and some small purple/white striped aubergines. Desperate for the patty pans and aubs to work as they're my fave veggies  :D
Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls:  all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves.  ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 16:02 »
Salsify - they're one of my favourite veg.
Baby aubergines, will see how they go.
I've got some yellow courgettes that you harvest as a small round courgette or grow on to a summer squash (can't remember the name though).
Thought I'd go for Parmex carrots too as part of my carrot area I inadvertantly manured in the autumn; I thought they'd be less likely to fang!!
Most of the other stuff is very ordinary. But hopefully very lovely.
 :tongue2:
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

Torreya

• http://ashfurlongwalledkitchengarden.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 16:07 »
Prakash

"Garden huckleberry"

These are brilliant! Lots of fruit on small plants, but don't tend to last long, they probably fruit themselves to death!

We're trying Oca, loads of way out pumpkins and squashes, melons (any advice would be v. welcome!!),  Couve tronchuda, Kabocha, Saltwort, Seakale and skirret.

By the by Diggerjoe, where on earth did you find Policemen's boots?? And don't say on their feet :tongue2:  I'd love to try some!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 16:21 by Torreya »

prakash_mib

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 16:32 »

Torreya

• http://ashfurlongwalledkitchengarden.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 16:38 »
Brill article!!
 I only used the v. ripe berries, they were so good they were eaten straight from the bush,  Like the article said, being Solanum family, you have to be 100% sure as to the origin, there are so many poisonous ones in the family.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 17:35 »
I did several unusual veg last year:

kohl rabi - loved it. Diced, raw, mixed in with diced (cooked) beetroot, greek yoghurt and some horseradish.

florence fennel - all bolted. I read to plant little and often, and some of them will succeed. Trying again this year.

celeriac - grown that for many years. Love it in mash during the winter (with swede or potato)

salsify - nice taste, fiddly to prepare, not much harvest per unit area. Gorwing again this year, but not sure it is worth it

scorzonera - disappointed with the taste, not bothering this year. Have left some roots in to grow on for a second year to try them next winter.

hamburg parsley - I've read about it! not grown it ...

silver chard to replace spinach - all our silver chard was eaten by birds last year. The Ruby and Rainbow Chard were fine (and tasted great, and the plants kept going all summer long ...)

Asparagus Peas - I don;t think we were religious about picking them often, and small, enough. Will try again this year. Does mean that you need quite a few plants though, otherwise each harvest (of very small pods) is too few to make a meal

xx
'Unusual' squash plants

Started by senrab_nhoj on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 07, 2008, 16:01
by compostqueen
xx
Growing unusual plants

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 22, 2016, 21:02
by Trikidiki
xx
first plants in for the year

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 09:39
by compostqueen
xx
WHAT PLANTS HAVE I PLANTED THIS YEAR I KNOW THEY'RE VEG

Started by missi on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post July 13, 2008, 22:29
by woodburner

Page created in 0.45 seconds with 45 queries.