HFW on the news today

• 26 Replies

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
HFW on the news today
« on: June 27, 2008, 10:01 »
Have just watched Hugh giving a press conference for his Chicken Out campaign outside of Tesco's because it's their AGM today and he's hoping that the shareholders will vote in favour of using suppliers that uphold better conditions for the birds.

Good luck to him, but I think that people with the money to buy shares only buy shares to make money and therefore will retain their appauling record of providing standard birds.

I've shopped at Tesco's for the last 8 years and more recently haven't changed supermarket because tesco's deliver and 'better the devil you know' but I'm seriously going to look around at the other supermarkets now.  

Their own motto is Every Little Helps but they won't put that little bit towards improving conditions for their meat products, not just chickens.

:evil:

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
HFW on the news today
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 10:16 »
Yeah, good luck to Hugh....although....the latest news item on the 'freedom foods' chicken...didn't really help his cause did it!? :(

Bodger

HFW on the news today
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 10:20 »
Suzi
I have a fear that most if not all supermarkets produce chickens in equally bad conditions. Where money is concerned ( and thats what they are concerned with ) I don't think you can trust any of them.
A few days ago, I posted a link about the 'Freedom Food' scheme and 'free range' eggs. Have a look at that and you'll see what I mean. :shock: When it comes to food, its tricky to know who and what to trust.

blossom1044

HFW on the news today
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 10:35 »
Good luck Hugh

My 10pennyworth

Tesco - are a bunch of money grabbing bad pratice control freaks.

I used to work in food industry, when Tescos wanted you to make a new product they would expect you as a supplier to create, design and make it to their specification.  Say a meat pie - they would buy from you at 80p a pie and sell on for £2.49.  They would make about 60% per pie where as you the producer would make only 10%.  That 10% wouldn't be enough to cover oheads, but you'd hopw as a producer that Tesco would buy enough BULK to make t worth your while.  then when they do they ask for an "overrider" this is a 2% return on the turnover you have from the sale of their pies that they have ordered from you.  Therefore this i turn reduces your profits.  If Tesco wants to do a promotion on a product you make for them - you have to pay them for the privilage!

All supermarkets do this, but Tescos are the worst and most demanding.  The poor manufacturer has to buy cheaper meat and produce which is passed on to the farmer and well that results in poor farming!

Note I said USED to work in food industry.

I am not excusing the farmers, but I think HFW has it right.  Attack the head beast and it might affect the herd!

I hope he does some good though is he really going to change the mind of those people who see 2 chickens for a 5 who are on the breadline already?  I can't blame them for opting for the cheap meat as they have mouths to feed.  Personally I am a food snob - I'd rather not eat that meat at all as it tastes bland is nutritionally pointless.  People say what would you eat instead?  Fish - not cod, but something sustainable.  We love mackerel/prawns/tuna in our house.  My 2 year old son would rather have grilled sole than chicken!
new to hens
Thanks
T

naturesparadise

HFW on the news today
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 10:35 »
yeah just look at what KFC  dose to there chickens

WARNING

you may find this film very upsetting

fiAxF65jRRQ

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
HFW on the news today
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 12:06 »
:shock:  speechless !!
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
HFW on the news today
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 12:21 »
The legal system for public companies is that the directors have a duty to follow the wishes of their shareholders and to maximise return on shares.

So, if HFW can get the shareholders onside...

As for the supermarket business practices, all they're doing is squeezing every drop they can. Tesco just happen to be extremely 'good' at it. I think our problem is the big 5 supermarkets all have too much power in the market and their oligopoly should be broken up by law.

Our free market, capitalist systems have been the best in many ways but the power of the corporates needs to be curbed - look at the situation in electric and gas. Funny how we pay more than many Europeans despite 'competition'
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

WhatCameFirst

• Experienced Member
HFW on the news today
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 12:39 »
Good luck to Hugh F-W.  

As a family we have boycotted Tesco for about 3 years now because of the way they ride roughshod over suppliers and the fact that they are taking over the world.  Apparently something like £1 in every £8 in this country is spent with Tesco (what with all the credit cards, insurance, mobile phones, and their shops).  

We are so lucky in that we have really good local shops, a Spar and a butcher where we can buy better and cheaper food than Tesco. But I do realise that a lot of people aren't so lucky.  

Three cheers for Hugh F-W!
Sue

Bodger

HFW on the news today
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 13:38 »
I wish that our Spar was as cheap as Tesco, because it isn't. One of the reasons that Tesco is so successful is because it has the strategy and muscle to make their prices very cheap.

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
HFW on the news today
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 13:38 »
Unlucky hugh, you fought a losing battle mate but those money orientated fools have no heart!

My respect goes out to you for standing up and being counted, being the embodiment of at least my own objections, and I'm sure the objections shared by a lot of us in this world.

poultrygeist

HFW on the news today
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 13:45 »
I aplaud you for that. Putting your money where your mouth is. Where we are, on the outskirts of Boston, we have a choice of Tesco about half a mile away, Asda about a mile in the other direction, then the town centre and market about half a mile further on. It's too far to walk with shopping. The parking is inadequate and expensive. And there are only one or two butchers of dubious appearance and no greengrocers that I know of.
So the moral choice will cost us not just the direct cost from smaller, more expensive, possibly lesser quality shops, but also parking costs, petrol, etc.
This is a fairly typical town and that is the problem. The competition doesn't exist for people to choose. It's merely the big 5 or 6 against each other who all practice the same ethical policies.
If we had a local butcher, greengrocer, etc we would use them but all we can do is to buy meat which is more ethically produced and hope others follow suit.

Rob

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
HFW on the news today
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 14:05 »
Well he's kept it in the public eye and on the news. I think Tesco are being shortsighted. If I was a shareholder I would have voted for it on pure business grounds. Image. Still, when you can afford TV every other slot, who has the most clout?

Dannii

HFW on the news today
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 14:10 »
I have to confess both myself and my husband are shareholders and my hubby works @ head office (.com) we got our vote forms through and I was outraged that tesco had highlighted the fields which they want you to tick in this case 'vote against' HFW chicken campaign. they also sent a 4 page leaflet with it stating all the reasons we should 'vote against' all the reasons were completely ridiculous and of course we voted for....although now I have told you all my sordid secret I hope you dont hate me!!!! p.s I still shop at waitrose too....dont tell my hubby :D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
HFW on the news today
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 14:29 »
Dannii - we're getting the fagots and stake ready to burn you now :)

Sad that the board are so pathetic.

poultrygeist

HFW on the news today
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 14:35 »
Corporate bullying is a fact in most organisations it would seem. Both in the market palce and internally.
After all, when you're that successful, why would you imagine you were ever wrong ??  :roll:

Well done for voting how you wanted.

Rob  :)

xx
in the news today!!!

Started by ACatCalledElvis on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 23, 2007, 21:13
by richyrich7
xx
Good news today (hopefully)

Started by sheridal on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 22:16
by Vember
xx
There's no news like bad news !

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 27, 2008, 17:57
by wildeone
xx
Fox news

Started by meterman on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 01:25
by TeaPots

Page created in 0.374 seconds with 37 queries.