HFW on the news today

• 26 Replies

compostqueen

HFW on the news today
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 14:55 »
I looked at Tesco "make a comment page" yesterday but then before you vent your spleen you are shown their legal stuff. Reams of it in fact. So I sent a comment that this is what I'd like to say but being as you'll probably sue me I shall have to be more circumspect due to your paranoia about folks airing their real views.  
I urge you to go and see it and comment. It's called Talking Tesco or some such thing.  

I did get a response but it dead lame and just says customer choice dictates practice  :evil:  Doesn't mean to say as the country's biggest shop that it's right and they should keep doing it. Kids in sweat shops make cheap jumpers but it aint right  :evil:

poultrygeist

HFW on the news today
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 15:06 »
Exactly.

The slave trade made cheap sugar and tobacco. But it weren't right.

Took the likes of Wilberforce a long time to persuade the public and the government that it was immoral. Don't meet many people who say we should bring it back but apparently where animals are concerned, as long as it's cheap, it's just fine !  :)

Rob  8)

compostqueen

HFW on the news today
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 15:27 »
I think it's just them saying that rather than the customers. They lead em by the nose about everything else so why not this. I think we should challenge big wigs at Tesco to live a week as a batttery hen  :evil:

Miller

HFW on the news today
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 17:15 »
We haven't used Tesco's out of principal for a few weeks now but had to go in last night as by the time we'd sorted the horses and chooks the other supermarket (Somerfield) had shut - struck me as strange that the eggs had moved within the store and they were only selling about 4 different sorts now as opposed to the 9 or 10 they did sell  :?:  

All they had were Tesco Value, Barn Reared, Big Eggs, Tescos finest organic free range (£2.29 for 6  :shock:  )

We'd shop elsewhere but working full time doesn't allow us to be home in time to use butchers, no greengrocers in town and weekends are always tied up with gardening, sorting horses and the house  :cry:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
HFW on the news today
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 17:44 »
Quote from: "Dannii"
I have to confess both myself and my husband are shareholders and my hubby works @ head office (.com) we got our vote forms through and I was outraged that tesco had highlighted the fields which they want you to tick in this case 'vote against' HFW chicken campaign. they also sent a 4 page leaflet with it stating all the reasons we should 'vote against' all the reasons were completely ridiculous and of course we voted for....although now I have told you all my sordid secret I hope you dont hate me!!!! p.s I still shop at waitrose too....dont tell my hubby :D

aha!  But the question is.... did you tick the NO box or not!!??  (you don't have to tell us of course but it's what we all want to know!)

Dannii

HFW on the news today
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008, 18:02 »
Hi Suzi,

Obviously we voted for HFW proposition, his demands aren't unreasonable at all to want chickens to be looked after to RSPCA standards (which we all know from the footage posted this week isn't great) I would have voted this way anyway but then I read the boards letter which spoke to the shareholders like they were complete idiots so I was even more adamant!!

I'm glad I haven't had any hate mail....yet! :)

:)

poultrygeist

HFW on the news today
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008, 18:11 »
You'd only get hate mail from members of the Tesco board or shareholders who don't care about animal welfare.

I would hope everyone on here would support and applaud your stance. Working for them is nothign to be ashamed of. You earn a living like anyone and with their monopoly, we'll all be working for them soon !  :)

Rob

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
HFW on the news today
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008, 18:13 »
I hardly see why you should have any hate mail - unless you're going to hate everyone who shops in Tesco.

Never mind, there's an AGM every year :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Ruby Red

HFW on the news today
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2008, 07:08 »
Quote from: "Dannii"
Hi Suzi,

Obviously we voted for HFW proposition, his demands aren't unreasonable at all to want chickens to be looked after to RSPCA standards (which we all know from the footage posted this week isn't great) I would have voted this way anyway but then I read the boards letter which spoke to the shareholders like they were complete idiots so I was even more adamant!!

I'm glad I haven't had any hate mail....yet! :)

:)

Regarding this RSPCA thing. They only have enough inspectors to check premises once a year so Im afraid it still leaves huge gaps for bad animal welfare to thrive. But people will see it and be reassured by the weasel words wont they.  :evil:
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
HFW on the news today
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2008, 10:41 »
Quote from: "Ruby Red"

Regarding this RSPCA thing. They only have enough inspectors to check premises once a year so Im afraid it still leaves huge gaps for bad animal welfare to thrive. But people will see it and be reassured by the weasel words wont they.  :evil:

Surely an incremental improvement is better than no improvement? Let's be real - there is no way the broiler industry is going to move to free range overnight. In fact, free range large flocks are somewhat stressful for the birds compared with smaller flocks.

poultrygeist

HFW on the news today
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2008, 11:06 »
I think it needs the public to create a demand, or at least a desire, for better conditions and the industry will follow. I don't think, as seen with the Tesco vote, that the industry will improve when the consumers are not just happy to buy cheap and cheerful, but actually express a preference.

Sadly, animal welfare, especially poultry, is still seen as a hippy, Guardian readers' dream.

Rob

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
HFW on the news today
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2008, 11:46 »
Present economic climate is promoting price awareness hence the new price war between Asda and Tesco. Doesn't seem likely to improve soon either.

Still, whatever the majority do, we can do what we feel right and keep lobbying. HFW mentioned mortality rates of 5% in broiler chickens - surely it cannot be argued that it's not cruel to raise animals where 1 in 20 will die before reaching market.

Maybe a better course would be to push the health benefit of free range? Higher Omega 3 levels and lower fat. Free range are better for your children. Can you not afford to feed them safe food? (sorry marketing head on here)

I've been in a chicken factory and seen battery hen 'farms' - if that don't change your attitude, nothing will.

xx
in the news today!!!

Started by ACatCalledElvis on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 23, 2007, 21:13
by richyrich7
xx
Good news today (hopefully)

Started by sheridal on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 22:16
by Vember
xx
There's no news like bad news !

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 27, 2008, 17:57
by wildeone
xx
Fox news

Started by meterman on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 01:25
by TeaPots

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 36 queries.