Selling eggs

• 21 Replies

Charlwood1005

Selling eggs
« on: June 05, 2008, 18:54 »
Does anyone sell their eggs, and if so for how much?

We have 6 hens as pets and I do not like the idea of making a profit from them.  They are fed Organic food and free range in a large area of garden that has not had any chemicals used on it.  We are planning to take expenses e.g. food etc (but not the cost of house or fence) out of the money we receive for eggs and then at the end of the year send the balance to a charity either battery hens or hens for Africa.

Our hens are black rocks (big eggs) and welsummers (small eggs).  I was thinking £1 half a dozen for large and 75p for half dozen small.

What do you all do?

Kate and her Ducks

Selling eggs
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 18:58 »
What a wonderful idea!!!
Still think you are underselling yourself (and your hens). Haven't bought eggs in ages as mine produce me more than I can use but not sure you can buy cheap battery eggs for that.

PS Where in Lancashire are you? I'm from Lancaster and my Mum is still there. Sure she would love to buy your eggs  :D
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

too many girls

Selling eggs
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 19:02 »
i cheated a bit, when i went to morrisons i asked for egg boxes with the Free range £3.85 on, i told them what i wanted them for and went on a bit about rescue hens and they gave me a dozen free ( as long as i didn't put them out of business) good old morrisons, i then filled them with my eggs and sold them to friends for £2.00 a dozen, they thought they were getting a bargain.

peggyprice

Selling eggs
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 20:07 »
Tesco own brand large freerange eggs:  £2.92 a dozen.  Big & Fresh freerange eggs at Tesco:  £2.15 half a dozen - ie 36p per egg.

If you're not comfortable charging a higher price, why not ask a few people to give you what they think they're worth (without making suggestions on price) - you'd be surprised how much people will - genuinely - be willing to pay for real, fresh, freerange eggs from birds they can actually see.

And if you're doing it for charity, make as much profit as you possibly can - themore money you raise the bigger difference you can make   :D
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

mumsy

Selling eggs
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 20:34 »
I charge 70p a half dozen on the doorstep, the village shop is 90p.  This is enough to cover pellets & corn & don't want to take the p***.  There is also enough for us & the family I only have two hens (At the moment) I put the price up 10p not long ago as half are blue eggies!! :D  :D

Charlwood1005

Selling eggs
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 20:47 »
Quote from: "Kate and her Ducks"
What a wonderful idea!!!
Still think you are underselling yourself (and your hens). Haven't bought eggs in ages as mine produce me more than I can use but not sure you can buy cheap battery eggs for that.

PS Where in Lancashire are you? I'm from Lancaster and my Mum is still there. Sure she would love to buy your eggs  :D

Kate - thanks for the thought but we are South Lancs, just north of Manchester.

too many girls

Selling eggs
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 20:50 »
My girls are laying around 40 eggs a day, i've sold some, but still have a kitchen full, any ideas on how to sell more? a sign on the gate would be inpractable as the gate is concealed from the road and by the time anyone saw it the'y be passed it and there's nowhere to turn round. any  ideas?

Vember

Selling eggs
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 20:53 »
Sign down the road might do the trick

Pop a notice up in your local post office (if you still have one) :D

too many girls

Selling eggs
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 20:56 »
the nearest village is 7 miles away, the nearest post office even futher, i collect the mail from the mail box at the end of our drive in my car...............

Vember

Selling eggs
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 20:57 »
A bit like me then, we're 3 miles from the shop

Lovely an quiet isn't it  :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

Selling eggs
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 21:01 »
Am very jealous. I live on a suburban estate but the eggs are useful for bribing the neighbours to forgive the girls for all the noise...

Vember

Selling eggs
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 21:02 »
You'll have to pop over for a visit Kate your not that far from Anglesey  :D

Kate and her Ducks

Selling eggs
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 21:11 »
Wouled love to!!! Sounds like you have the most amazing collection of babies, would love to meet them (and you of course :lol:  :lol:  :lol: ).

peggyprice

Selling eggs
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 21:28 »
Quote from: "too many girls"
My girls are laying around 40 eggs a day, i've sold some, but still have a kitchen full, any ideas on how to sell more? a sign on the gate would be inpractable as the gate is concealed from the road and by the time anyone saw it the'y be passed it and there's nowhere to turn round. any  ideas?

See if you can find your nearest Country Market (ie what used to be the WI Markets); if you can register as a producer you can sell your eggs there (you don't have to be a member of the WI  :lol: ).  If it's too far away to go weekly you can always go once a month or whatever works for you.

I was a member of a market in Sheffield and we had one lady who came in once every two months  or so from about twenty miles away to sell her smoked fish; people would queue down the street on the days she was expected.  And fresh eggs and other fresh produce always sold out within minutes of the doors opening  :lol:

Have a look here for more info:

http://www.country-markets.co.uk/home-page-c100000.html

muntjac

Selling eggs
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 21:30 »
make a little poster saying you have eggs for sale with a telephone number and just pop it through folks doors .if they want them you can deliver them , werks for us mwe have foilks calling by to pick them up .i do an egg run sundays usually ,,,,, and ours sell for £ 2.50 a dozen going up to £ 3 tho soon :wink:  and we cant get enough normally
still alive /............

xx
Selling Eggs?

Started by alisonwo on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 25, 2009, 18:09
by alisonwo
xx
selling the eggs

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 10, 2007, 19:46
by muntjac
xx
Selling eggs

Started by ck2day on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 00:23
by Aunt Sally
xx
selling eggs

Started by jackieand glenn on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 28, 2010, 17:27
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.45 seconds with 37 queries.