Selling eggs

• 20 Replies

ck2day

• Experienced Member
Selling eggs
« on: March 07, 2008, 14:17 »
Hi, I have been offered a Light Sussex cockerel to keep my ex batts and Amberlinks company.  My OH is keen to sell the eggs as we get too many to keep up with eating them, and he reckons it will help to offset the cost of the small amount of layers pellets etc they get through. And I hate to have to throw them away.

However, one of my b'day pressies this week was a book that said if you have a cockerel don't sell the eggs as its not good practice or the done thing to sell possibly fertile eggs for eating (or words to that effect)

I was wondering if anyone else had come across the same thing or whether it is just the author being a bit cautious.  

Grateful for your thoughts etc

Claire

Bodger

Selling eggs
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 14:22 »
Whether the eggs are fertile or not will not make the slightet difference to the eggs.

naturesparadise

Selling eggs
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 14:24 »
i have been thinking about selling eggs too as ill have the light sussex chooks and the Khaki Campbell ducks too and i will have too many eggs to eat

but i was told that any eggs you wish to sell have to be tested for salmonella

and so on

ck2day

• Experienced Member
Selling eggs
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 14:28 »
I thought that was only if you go into "mass" production and selling on a big scale and then its the chucks themselves and not the eggs that have to be tested, but I may be wrong.  If not there is an awful lot of people around me in sunny Lincs that are breaking the rules.

I am sure someone will be along soon to point us in the right direction.

naturesparadise

Selling eggs
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 14:30 »
dont worry its most likely im the one thats wrong  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Jellyhead

Selling eggs
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 14:30 »
As Bodger said, fertile or not it makes no difference, the eggies are good to eat either way. We are not supposed to sell our eggies over here unless they get stamped by the relevant governing body. The only way is to sell to friends and through friends :wink:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

ck2day

• Experienced Member
Selling eggs
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 14:58 »
Thats what my OH plans to do, just sell to friend and work collegues. I think he has been secretly letting everyone at work know how d'lish they taste and building himself up a long list of customers.

The poor chucks will be running when they see him coming !!!! Theres only so many eggs that 12 chucks can lay in one day. :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Vember

Selling eggs
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 15:23 »
However, one of my b'day pressies this week was a book that said if you have a cockerel don't sell the eggs as its not good practice or the done thing to sell possibly fertile eggs for eating (or words to that effect)

I have read that some where too ??? But people must do it, I wouldn't worry too much as long as everyone enjoys the eggs (which they will) Your only problem will come when they get their own hens  :lol: Which they'll want to do once they've tasted the Real Thing  :lol:  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Selling eggs
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 15:37 »
As Bodger said, it won't make any difference to the quality of the eggs.

As long as they haven't been incubated at all of cause  :shock:

Chappers

• Experienced Member
Selling eggs
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 19:17 »
Quote from: "Jellyhead"
As Bodger said, fertile or not it makes no difference, the eggies are good to eat either way. We are not supposed to sell our eggies over here unless they get stamped by the relevant governing body. The only way is to sell to friends and through friends :wink:

That old chestnut, you don't have a dealer, just a friend who sells to friends  :lol:
Chappers

27th on the waiting list !!! NOT

Now a 1/3 plot owner :-)

compostqueen

Selling eggs
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 19:19 »
I'd like to offer fresh eggs to my B * B guests but unless they're authorised salmonella free I'm not supposed to  :roll:   I'm not supposed to serve a runny fried egg either. Has this country gone mad  :evil: Apparently I'm supposed to ask guests to sign a disclaimer should they wish to eat a runny egg

Not while I still have breath left in my body  :evil:

alibean

• Experienced Member
Selling eggs
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 19:37 »
I'm sure there's less chance of getting salmonella from a healthy free range hen than from a cooped up battery hen - and as long as you the egg has reached a high enough temperature then even if the yolk is a little runny the heat should have killed off any nasties - lets not go all flippin Edwina for Christ's sake!

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Selling eggs
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 19:39 »
Quote from: "alibean"
I'm sure there's less chance of getting salmonella from a healthy free range hen than from a cooped up battery hen - and as long as you the egg has reached a high enough temperature then even if the yolk is a little runny the heat should have killed off any nasties - lets not go all flippin Edwina for Christ's sake!

alibean, how are you getting away with having the willy aubergine as an avatar.... has aunty got a favourite here  :roll:

muntjac

Selling eggs
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 20:12 »
key to keeping healthy birds and having fresh food ,,,,,,,,,,,, throw away half the books written by people who know * all about living a life......... eat em ..... and give them to your guests the dodo about having them checked is just that ,,,,,,,,,,,, your allowed to buy free range eggs where ever you like.even your own for sale and the number you get from a few back yard birds isnt controlled by legislation just mass production :wink:
still alive /............

alibean

• Experienced Member
Selling eggs
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 20:17 »
It's a nose !!!!!!!!

xx
Selling Eggs?

Started by clairey1112 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 14, 2009, 15:02
by clairey1112
xx
Selling eggs

Started by Evansent on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 17:18
by poultrygeist
question
selling eggs

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 00:19
by jobson336
xx
selling eggs

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post August 22, 2008, 17:35
by chickenlady

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 30 queries.