Disabled Gardening Tips.

• 13 Replies

tweeky

Disabled Gardening Tips.
« on: June 05, 2008, 00:12 »
Perhaps this could be made into a sticky for new or old peeps to refer or add to. Tis up to the mods of course.

I know it may sound daft, but I have never planted beans straight into the ground.

How to start things off.....

1) Seed tray..as many as you need. You will need this because of watering.
2) Collect the cardboard centers out of toilet or kitchen towel rolls.

A normal toilet roll center you can cut into three...kitchen roll centers about 5 or six.

Fill each one with compost and a bean seed. Place in seed trays so that they are tight up against each other (incase one or two decide to unravel)

Water the seed tray as and when required. Either keep in a Greenhouse or any convenient window ledge.

When you have a reasonably strong plant...time to go into the soil. Plant the whole thing, with the toilet roll cardboard (that will rot away into the soil) The benefit of this is....You are planting something that has already started growing and there is no root checking because its not been transplanted.

This method also works a treat for carrots, radish, lettuce etc as none of these will check back by being planted out in that way as you are not disturbing the roots.

Hope this helps for next time.

tweeky

Disabled Gardening Tips.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 00:30 »
Cuttings. Or seed.

Not a good idea for plants that don't appreciate root disturbance.

This is a good method for Visually Impaired People or those who have problems with space or arthritis.

Take a freezer or sandwich bag or a piece of polythene. With the bags you will need to cut down both sides with knife or scissors and open the bags out length ways.

Place compost along the length, in the middle. say approximately two inches wide and half an inch deep or a bit less.

Place your seeds or cuttings into the middle of the compost.

Fold over the plastic from bottom to top so that you have now got the seeds and cuttings sitting nicely in the compost. And then starting from one end, roll it up on itself. If you have any questions about this just post them yea.

You should end up with a roll of seeds or cuttings with an open top. You then either put cello tape around the outside, I prefer elastic bands to hold it together.

This can be watered from the top and takes up very little space on your window ledge...when the cuttings, seeds root up, you can unravel it and either pot on, or plant out.

lincspoacher

Disabled Gardening Tips.
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 00:37 »
You just reinvented container propagation by ring culture, as used by lots of pro growers !!! They use bottomless black fibre pots:

Ring Cuture pots

tweeky

Disabled Gardening Tips.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 00:54 »
Hi lincspoacher

Well not exactly, but I see what you are getting at. I once used Bison hide tubs in that way (they called them Buffalo Hide tubs, but I suspect they got the species mixed up...then again :?: )

However..reinventing...I can't take the credit for that, just trying to pass on what has worked for me over the years.

Instead of the toilet roll centers, I started by using plastic vending machine cups and slicing the bottom off them (used to have an open fire, so heated up a blade and whipped them off that way)

I could then press out the whole root with the compost attached for planting. But being plastic I found a problem. Some things were damping off or sweating. Hence the bog roll centers. I once planted 50 sweet pea seeds using the plastic cup method and only about 5 grew. Never had any problem with the cardboard as it breathes yea.

It is a terrific way of planting for anyone with a physical dis, or even older growers with bad backs etc. You can do your planting at a height...be it from a wheelchair or stool etc.

No need to thin out. Less problem with weeds as you can tell the difference straight away. Plus many other benefits as you may imagine..soil pests etc.

iwantanallotment

Disabled Gardening Tips.
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2008, 01:03 »
Quote from: "tweaky"

Fold over the plastic from bottom to top so that you have now got the seeds and cuttings sitting nicely in the compost. And then starting from one end, roll it up on itself.

I'm lost at this bit  :oops:
Could you put pics?

tweeky

Disabled Gardening Tips.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2008, 01:13 »
Erm.

Yes mate, but you will have to wait until tomorrow, OK.

iwantanallotment

Disabled Gardening Tips.
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 01:16 »
Course - it is a bit late right now (past 1am) to be sowing seeds/cuttings  :lol:

tweeky

Disabled Gardening Tips.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 01:22 »
Good tip for Tomato growers. Dis or not.

When you plant it...also plant a 3 inch plant pot next to it, angled towards the roots.

On a daily basis, check the level of water in the plant pot. If it is empty, top it up, if it still has water in it and leave it.

It stops all the guess work.

If it's in a pot, then use a two inch plant pot.

compostqueen

Disabled Gardening Tips.
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 10:38 »
I like using bog rolls too. I make a hole with a bulb planter and the hole is the same size as the loo roll. What a happy coincidence  :D

SalJ1980

Disabled Gardening Tips.
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 11:16 »
Quote from: "tweaky"
they called them Buffalo Hide tubs, but I suspect they got the species mixed up...

What's the difference between a Buffalo and a Bison?

You can wash your hands in a Bison!  :D
Sal

Organic...so far!

Bombers

Disabled Gardening Tips.
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 11:24 »
You can wash your hands in a Bison!

D'yaw cum frum the blak cuntry ah' kid?  :wink:
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

SalJ1980

Disabled Gardening Tips.
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 11:30 »
Quote from: "srebmob"
You can wash your hands in a Bison!

D'yaw cum frum the blak cuntry ah' kid?  :wink:

Not a chance!   :D

I did go to uni in Brum tho and dated a Yam-Yam for a while - get very fed up of being asked "Alroight am yow?"  :lol:

Bombers

Disabled Gardening Tips.
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 11:33 »
I thought i recognised the twang Sal! :lol:
There's a lot of Yaam Yaam ex pat's up there in Sunny n wales! 8)

SalJ1980

Disabled Gardening Tips.
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 13:14 »
There's a lot of Yaam Yaam ex pat's up there in Sunny n wales! Cool

And I'm not one of them...from Bucks originally, settled in North Wales via:

Birmingham
South Shropshire (Craven Armpit if I have to admit it!)
Cheltenham
French Alps  8)
New Forest
Scotland

and finally here in Wales. And I'm not moving again!

xx
old gardening tips

Started by Teabag on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 22:33
by Teabag
xx
no dig gardening hints tips and comments please.

Started by Madame Cholet on Grow Your Own

43 Replies
Last post November 27, 2013, 22:27
by Madame Cholet
xx
Disabled tools??

Started by Dotty on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 21:49
by Dotty
xx
S**Gs - Top Tips Please

Started by blue_cortina on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 22:47
by owein

Page created in 0.483 seconds with 28 queries.