Gardener's world (again) (yawn)

• 173 Replies

mkhenry

« Reply #90 on: April 15, 2008, 00:07 »
Quote from: "Snap Dragon"
Ha ha......

Henry, you cool dude!  8)  8)  8)

Now you know we're going to want to see photographic proof of this rebel of yesteryear!  :wink:

Sorry no camera in those days but I thought I looked the best.  I was so proud of those red flairs that I wore them to work, and they sent me home to change , and deducted my wages for the time it took to get home and back.  Then I had to appear before the department head to "explain myself"  So don't go telling me I'm not a rebel. :lol:  :wink:
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #91 on: April 15, 2008, 10:25 »
Quote from: "vegmandan"
I can't wait until Anti-Glyphosate Joe starts spraying newly "Organically qualified" Bordeaux Mixture on his Spuds against Blight,If they ever make it through the mountains of Couch Grass he'll have.

(Sorry,Bordeaux Mixture is my personal "Bete Noire")

I'd like to see him justify using this but not using Glyphosate. :lol:

Funny, I'm just the same over Bordeaux Mixture. I reckon Dithane 945 to be safer, but then again I'd prefer to use nothing. Last year's blight showed the benefit of resistant crops. My Sarpo were standing proud on the site when everyone else's potatoes had gone down.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

purplebean

« Reply #92 on: April 15, 2008, 12:34 »
Quote from: "john"
If I took over a plot covered in couch then I'd spray with glyphosate or, if I really wanted to be totally organic, cover with carpets (oops they're not organic anymore) sheet plastic to kill off the couch.

Even the great Geoff Hamilton who was organic before its time said that the one time he would use weedkiller was to clear a very overgrown plot  :D

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
« Reply #93 on: April 15, 2008, 14:11 »
Quote from: "Welsh Girls Allotment"

this is what my plot looked like Sept 2006
LINK to photo

Hmmmm, looks familiar  :lol:
Happy, hippy mama with a love of baking, gardening and cake decorating

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2008, 14:14 »
Mkhenry you're a bad example on me ha ha  :twisted:

I thought I might get comments on my jimi hendrix, My Chemical Romance, Rage Against The Machine etc t-shirts but no not a thing.  Too busy noticing anything I might be doing wrong on the plot to notice those I expect.  I've been toying with the idea of taking my jolly roger flag up there though to see what happens.
Teen

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #95 on: April 15, 2008, 14:22 »
Quote from: "Welsh Girls Allotment"

this is what my plot looked like Sept 2006
LINK to photo

It certainly wasn't dug over in a weekend and I am still fighting it all

Welsh Girls Allotment, I just like to congratulate you on tackling such a big job and turning your plot around.  It looks great!

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #96 on: April 15, 2008, 15:26 »
Quote from: "Teen76"
Mkhenry you're a bad example on me ha ha  :twisted:

I thought I might get comments on my jimi hendrix, My Chemical Romance, Rage Against The Machine etc t-shirts but no not a thing.  Too busy noticing anything I might be doing wrong on the plot to notice those I expect.  I've been toying with the idea of taking my jolly roger flag up there though to see what happens.

We've got someone on our site with a Jolly Roger hoisted higher than anyone elses flags but nobody bothers about it :!: He's a newbie too :shock: But like you say, all the old-boys will be standing around with their arms folded waiting for him to do summat wrong with the veg growing...

Ruby Red

« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2008, 17:36 »
Quote from: "Maryann"
I have just stumbled onto this thread and have read all of the comments from page 1 and all very lively. Some I agree with and others I dont - thats what makes it so interesting.

Just one point I would like to add to all the others.
Just how realistic can any TV programme like GW be?
I used to really enjoy watching Geoff Hamilton he seemed a genuinely nice guy with a lovely speaking voice but I very much doubt he had the time or energy to do ALL of the work himself for the programme.
I fully expected there to be an army of helpers in the background you never saw and who never got any credit - same with all TV gardening progs in my opinion. How would it be possible or feasible for them to do it all my themselves?

As to this guy's techniques and advice - you have the option to listen or not and you can always do what I did and switch off. Same as that Carol woman - one word out of her mouth and click off the TV goes. Her accent alone grates on my nerves and that hysterical laugh and voice....give me strength.

Good old Geoff.....gone but not forgotten, how he is missed.

Funnily enough I find Carols accent quite comforting and friendly. Nowt like a warm Northern accent.She sounds like she may come from the Bolton area am I right. Likewise I love Fred Dibnah. He was a gem. I could watch him all night. Mind you Im probably a bit biased. Consider myself more a Northerner than a Southerner.  :roll:  :wink:
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

vegmandan

« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2008, 21:26 »
Had to laugh at "Allotment Joe" again tonight when he said "Well that was a good morning spent down on the allotment"

He must have been really really tired after the rigours of planting a pack of onions,shallots and garlic into modules. :lol:

shaun

« Reply #99 on: April 18, 2008, 22:14 »
i didnt watch it again but just thinking about him is enough,he hasnt got the strength to vomit  :roll:  :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

peterjf

gardeners world
« Reply #100 on: April 18, 2008, 22:18 »
just wondering if the complainers aboutgardeners world complained so much when charlie dimmock was on the tv

when i die i want to come back as charlie dimmocks t shirt lol

shaun

Re: gardeners world
« Reply #101 on: April 18, 2008, 22:19 »
Quote from: "peterjf"
just wondering if the complainers aboutgardeners world complained so much when charlie dimmock was on the tv

when i die i want to come back as charlie dimmocks t shirt lol

that reminds me peter i have a pair of wet socks on the line  :wink:

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2008, 00:01 »
hmmmm GW over the years has always been a "must watch" prog in our house, even now in its twilight years....
Sadly we agree that its all been down hill after Geoff Hamilton shovelled off this mortal coil.  Alan Titchmarsh, very likeable chap and all that, wasnt a patch - but then he did step into Geoffs boots in hurry and did do a reasonable job, even tho he had a soft spot for decking, blue paint and banana plants! He's an ok bloke.  Moving on to Monty Don, another nice chap and keen as mustard BUT I do think (either he or the producers of the prog) have lost the plot (forgive the pun) a bit, well more than a bit.....
I analysed one program once and with all what he did on there he must have spent the best part of a grand on plants alone and low and behold the next series dug it all up!! nuff said  Now Carol Klein..... could she PLEASE loose that 20ft scarf she insists on dangling along the ground whilst planting stuff....
oh yes, on tonights prog Monty insisted on eating bits of plant and flowers with TOTALLY mucky hands, covered in dirt, hasnt he heard of Botulism, a deadly disease that occurs naturally in soil...... thats why you wash your hands!! oh dear...  

oh yes - and Joe Swifts allotment, is it on Planet Zogg and can I get one too?
Death OR Cake ???

vegmandan

« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2008, 00:08 »
I totally agree.

But Monty would no doubt love to step off this mortal coil due to an "Organic" Bacterium. :wink:

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2008, 07:55 »
Quote from: "cooperman"
oh yes, on tonights prog Monty insisted on eating bits of plant and flowers with TOTALLY mucky hands, covered in dirt, hasnt he heard of Botulism, a deadly disease that occurs naturally in soil...... thats why you wash your hands!! oh dear...

It's the first time I have watched this programme for a long time when we saw Monty busy munching on plants and flowers and what did my teenage daughter remark "thats disgusting" I thought she meant him eating the flowers but oh no she went on "look at the state of his hands"  :lol:
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

xx
Last night on Gardener's world.

Started by Lily on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 21, 2007, 15:10
by richyrich7
xx
Joe Swift - Gardener's World - Goji Berries

Started by green fingers on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 31, 2008, 13:29
by green fingers
xx
different world.

Started by upthetump on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 29, 2007, 20:51
by upthetump
xx
The world's gone mad!!

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 19, 2008, 13:11
by nipper31

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 28 queries.