Gardener's world (again) (yawn)

• 173 Replies

WhippetMaster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2008, 08:16 »

"Funnily enough I find Carols accent quite comforting and friendly. Nowt like a warm Northern accent.She sounds like she may come from the Bolton area am I right. Likewise I love Fred Dibnah. He was a gem. I could watch him all night. Mind you Im probably a bit biased. Consider myself more a Northerner than a Southerner."

Carol has a strange but interesting enthusiasim for growing veg something compared to teenage first love, not that I remember at the old age of 34.

She lives a few miles away from me so she will be speaking "yokel" Devonian soon, it's contagious just like sheep worrying.
Gardening with intent to cultivate.

nipper31

• Experienced Member
« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2008, 09:44 »
OK...hands up all those of you who said you wouldn't watch it again but secretly tuned in  :?:

Ruby Red

« Reply #107 on: April 19, 2008, 10:05 »
Monty Don is probably immune to a lot of soil diseases having worked with it so long. I think you can be a bit precious about muck. Cant say I wash my hands every time I grab a sandwich in the garden. Ive never been over concerned about the kids either playing out and eating rhubarb straight from the garden with mucky hands. Monty didnt offer it to anybody else. As a family none of us have allergies or asthma, cant remember the last time we had colds either. The house isnt disinfected from top to bottom. Theres an old saying "You have to eat a pound of muck before you die". :wink:  :)
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

compostqueen

« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2008, 13:03 »
If he was eating his sarnis with clean hands he'd still get criticised  :roll:
I wonder how many gardeners have died of botulism. Anyone  :?: I doubt they're dropping like flies  :D

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2008, 14:59 »
why oh why did joe have to phone monty to ask about planting garlic straight into the soil when his allotment nighbour had just dug some very healthy ones up? am I missing something
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #110 on: April 19, 2008, 16:50 »
Quote from: "theothermarg"
why oh why did joe have to phone monty to ask about planting garlic straight into the soil when his allotment nighbour had just dug some very healthy ones up? am I missing something
marg
He's obviously not the sharpest tool in the box Marge.

On the other hand, we didn't get half an hour of his antics and his family didn't make an appearance, as we were told they would.  Perhaps the programme makers took notice of all the criticisms on GW forum.  The programme seemed better for it too.  I even learned a lot about Dahlias.
Cheese makes everything better.

vegmandan

« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2008, 23:09 »
I bet "Joe the Hoe" finds a mysterious mediaeval object in his plot just when his spuds are ready.

Then he can get Time Team to come over to investigate and dig his spuds up for him. :wink:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2008, 23:30 »
This made me laugh on the GW forum.  Got to keep a sense of humour.

In tonight’s programme we will see Joe Swift extensively test driving the Peugeot Boxer van range, before “getting it down” on his new allotment. Joe will be planting Bananas and Oranges to replicate the organic “box” he has given up and progress on these will be shown later in the series in the same way we saw progress in earlier years on the slug bait trial, sweet potato trial, the stumpery and the conifer garden.

Then Joe will add a touch of the design skills he learnt in his 2007 TV “Special” by involving his family in concreting over his allotment to stop weed penetration and to increase water run off (a la his own back garden with the use of slates) thereby getting himself evicted from the site and proving that Gardeners’ World has truly "lost the plot".

Meanwhile in Devon, Carol will be espousing variants of the noun “enthusiasm” enthusiastically and taking easy branch cuttings from Forsythia, Cornus and Hazel before she is unceremoniously sacked – Thus proving that the 3 "strikes" and you’re out rule is in vogue at the BBC.

At Berryfields - Monty will be searching for his glasses in the greenhouse (they are in his manbag next to the Grecian 2000), whilst artistic fuzzy camera shots of a small dog will dominate 15 of the final 17 minutes of the show.

Finally the greater crested newts will be visiting the National Holder of Empirical TV Viewing Figures in Harare, Zimbabwe……

shaun

« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2008, 08:56 »
your all jealous  :wink:
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

drdave

« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2008, 12:29 »
You dont need to worry about botulism from working on the lotty. It nearly always occurs in outbreaks from eating stored preserved foods and that is now very rare here.  Its a bacteria that comes from spores that are resistant to heat etc. Its the toxin that causes the problem. I have not heard of a case in a gardener in blighty. Sometimes drug injectors get it from dirty needles.
You should still wash your hands however! Its the stuff like E Coli and other faecal flora from the manure that will give you the squiddlys.
Remember to keep your Tetanus jabs up to date though, soil in a deep cut can cause Clostridium tetani toxin-tetanus- Rarely!
Dont panic!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2008, 12:41 »
Quote from: "drdave"
You dont need to worry about botulism from working on the lotty. It nearly always occurs in outbreaks from eating stored preserved foods and that is now very rare here.  Its a bacteria that comes from spores that are resistant to heat etc. Its the toxin that causes the problem. I have not heard of a case in a gardener in blighty. Sometimes drug injectors get it from dirty needles.
You should still wash your hands however! Its the stuff like E Coli and other faecal flora from the manure that will give you the squiddlys.
Remember to keep your Tetanus jabs up to date though, soil in a deep cut can cause Clostridium tetani toxin-tetanus- Rarely!
Dont panic!

Which is why, when I dropped to my doctor about the allotment the big tetanus jab came out!

Actually doesn't hurt at all, and I've an award for cowardice in the face of medics :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

JimG

« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2008, 15:33 »
Oh, I don't know.  I'm less worried about picking up infections from my allotment than the average stay in hospital.  My Mum spent a month in intensive care last year and only picked up three secondary infections during her stay.  I don't know what made her as ill as she was originally but if she could fight off three superbugs after she became ill, I don't want to catch it!

Bernard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2008, 18:13 »
I think you are all being very unfair. If you wanted a lesson in how to propagate couch grass, you simply could not have a better example than JSwift.

And MD is doing his very best to entertain. After all, he was doing the splits for us when the last episode opened.

Welsh Girls Allotment

• Experienced Member
« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2008, 20:37 »
Quote from: "Bernard"
I think you are all being very unfair. If you wanted a lesson in how to propagate couch grass, you simply could not have a better example than JSwift.

And MD is doing his very best to entertain. After all, he was doing the splits for us when the last episode opened.

:lol: I couldn't agree more - perhaps he doesn't intend to grow veg at all just couch an mares tail :lol:

I'm glad it wasn't just me who found Monty's stance a little un-nerving
 :shock:

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2008, 23:47 »
hehe
all in good fun.......
Death OR Cake ???

xx
Last night on Gardener's world.

Started by Lily on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 21, 2007, 15:10
by richyrich7
xx
Joe Swift - Gardener's World - Goji Berries

Started by green fingers on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 31, 2008, 13:29
by green fingers
xx
The world's gone mad!!

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 19, 2008, 13:11
by nipper31
xx
different world.

Started by upthetump on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 29, 2007, 20:51
by upthetump

Page created in 0.461 seconds with 36 queries.